Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
We are planning to go and take both cars... I will try to put up a fight to David Peilow in the Ampera if he returns to defend the class win he achieved last year and Sally will drive the Nissan Leaf.

What fun!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Unfortunately I will be at a kart track all that weekend..remember its mother's day also, have I got the right weekend?

Is anyone interested in putting on a 12 car road rally for all electric cars? This is a bit of an outlawed sport in most counties except deepest wales. This is because in the past there were a lot of noise problems as the competitions took place in the late evening or overnight, our cars will naturally not suffer from this.

J

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You might want to put this into its own thread so people get to see it.

I have no idea what is involved so perhaps explain a bit more on its own thread? :)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'm taking the RX8 :)

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh damn, I would have loved that, so would the kids, and Santa Pod is just down the road too. However, a rugby coaching course will see me in Aylesbury for most of the day.

I'm going to have to keep an eye on this forum for other events. :)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have entered but it doesn't show on the website yet. Annoying if they make me pay at the gate again because of it.

·
Banned
558 Posts
..Is anyone interested in putting on a 12 car road rally for all electric cars?
Sounds like a super idea! I do it as a 'rally', whatever is safe - and legal.
In my youth we had 'treasure hunts' by car, which were usually fun - the social event at the end had some purpose? You could run matched trials, on different routes, to the same destination. Just need some clever maths to work out the performance / efficiency scores? Using a sequence of 3 or more rapid chargers could add an additional random element to the results! A least one has to be 'red'?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like a super idea! I do it as a 'rally', whatever is safe - and legal.
In my youth we had 'treasure hunts' by car, which were usually fun - the social event at the end had some purpose? You could run matched trials, on different routes, to the same destination. Just need some clever maths to work out the performance / efficiency scores? Using a sequence of 3 or more rapid chargers could add an additional random element to the results! A least one has to be 'red'?
We could start with a twelve car rally, which has all the rules of a road rally but is usually contained in about forty miles in an evening. these require no PR work( PR work was done in the past on account of the noise involved), or at least not much, a route timed at under the speed limit, a start venue in a car park and a cozy pub for the finish before closing time.
Bigger road rallies were held overnight and usually involved about 150 miles+ with many competitive sections. Take a look under 'Targa Timing' on wiki as to how these were timed within the law. The need to use headlights could slow ev events down a bit or shorten them.
All the regulations are held under the Motor Sports Association Blue book...at least we won't have to keep to the 2 inch exhaust diameter limit!

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Did anyone else notice the furore over the new F1 format. Apparently the engine noise of the hybrids , as F1 cars now are, is not raucous enough for the petrol heads of Melbourne. What would they make of high speed electric cars?

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Did anyone else notice the furore over the new F1 format. Apparently the engine noise of the hybrids , as F1 cars now are, is not raucous enough for the petrol heads of Melbourne. What would they make of high speed electric cars?
Those Forumula-e cars do sound a bit rough with the clanking sound. I hope that is something that was only on the prototypes and we can expect a nice electric sound later in the year!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I think people will get used to it once the season gets properly underway. There are a lot more interesting things going on in F1 than the noise. ;)

Apparently, the sound on the TV was not representative of what it sounds like at the track and from what I heard those at the track had a better response than those watching on TV.

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
having been to several F1 races over the years, the sound on TV has never been representative. It made me laugh when people complained about the engines only being 1.6 V6's - the first race I saw in the flesh was when they were running 1.5 4 cylinder engines - if I remember correctly the BMW engine had over 1,000 bhp in qualifying trim (it was nicknamed the hand grenade engine, as it was prone to exploding). Impressed so far with this years cars, and also looking forward to Formula E.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes but at Melbourne the crowds would have been used to V8 Supercars doing the Bathurst 1000, to me all other forms of motorsport must kneel at the spectacle! go watch and be amazed.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts