Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the mark 7.5 ride height is the same as the GTi ?
It was a bit higher but looks lower on the promotional photos...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Does anyone know if the mark 7.5 ride height is the same as the GTi ?
It was a bit higher but looks lower on the promotional photos...
I don't know for sure, but the brochure states that the GTE doesn't get sports suspension like the GT, R Line, GTI and GTD models. Also, these pictures from an early one avaible at Bradford VW looks like it is not lowered Indium 1.jpg Indium 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I don't know for sure, but the brochure states that the GTE doesn't get sports suspension like the GT, R Line, GTI and GTD models. Also, these pictures from an early one avaible at Bradford VW looks like it is not lowered.
Sports suspension and lower ride height are different things. The previous GTE did have Sports suspension, but a slightly higher ride height than the GTI, probably due the the extra travel required for the additional weight.

Personally, I would be happy if the 7.5 GTE didn't have sports suspension as I think it it too harsh. I also don't give a monkeys about ride height as I'm not a boy racer anymore. However, I suspect the 7.5 GTE still has sports suspension and the brochure is wrong.

Edit: the Configurator app says that the GTE does have Sports Suspension as standard.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
The brochure/promo photographs are misleading aren't they, the GTE 7.5 rides significantly higher than those shots.

The suspension is unchanged between the 7 and 7.5.

It's easily fixed though, Eibach do a spring kit for the GTE.

I'm no boy racer either, heading towards the big 5-0, but I love the way mine looks since I fitted the kit. It's not 'slammed', and ride isn't noticeably harsher either.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am having a problem with this too but I think its not a suspension issue but alloy wheel size.....I believe VW have "cheated" in the publicity photos for the Golf GTE 7.5 by fitting the 18" Seville alloys from the Golf GTD in the photos but that selling it with the 17" Rio De Janeiro (non-advance version). Further if you zoom in on these photos you can see the tyre wall is "R18". VW AlloyGate anyone?

see

(Dropbox - VolkswagenGolfGTE0317_r18.jpg)

·
Registered
997 Posts
I am having a problem with this too but I think its not a suspension issue but alloy wheel size.....I believe VW have "cheated" in the publicity photos for the Golf GTE 7.5 by fitting the 18" Seville alloys from the Golf GTD in the photos but that selling it with the 17" Rio De Janeiro (non-advance version). Further if you zoom in on these photos you can see the tyre wall is "R18". VW AlloyGate anyone?

see

You can specify the Seville 18" in Germany (they have 4 choices, UK ones plus the 16" E-Golf ones and the Sevilles) so think this is all it is. So fair enough I guess...

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Sports suspension and lower ride height are different things. The previous GTE did have Sports suspension, but a slightly higher ride height than the GTI, probably due the the extra travel required for the additional weight.
I totally agree !.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts

see

I agree that they may have played with the image to give the car a lower stance. This has become a common place now, like when they make ALL of the glass in the car look very dark to give the car a more aggressive / lower appearance !. Upgrading the wheels and tyres to 18" WILL give the car a more "sporty" look, but this will not lower the car in anyway what so ever !. When you increase the dia of the road wheel from 17" to 18" you then reduce the wall height of the tyre to bring the wheel and tyre combination back to the same height to avoid changing the ratio of the car.
e.g. :- If you where to place both a 17" wheel and tyre combo along side a 18" wheel and tyre combo, the height across both tyre tread's would be same !.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts