Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the rather spendid M&S Cheshire Oaks (again) today. It's one of their flagship green stores and has plenty of features that I applaud but the charging points for EVs is not one of them unfortunately. There is a single post next to two spaces situated on a junction towards the exit, with a prominent sign highlighting their presence. Given the distance from the store, and presumably a longer than normal cable length, the position appears selected to be noticed. Fair enough I thought until I became a user...

The post is Pod-Point and has a sign on both sides proclaiming 3Kw. However they are actually just two 13 amp three pin sockets and only one has ever been available (as in active/able to be used rather than no one using it) when I've been there. As a Leaf owner I can only get 10A through the brick; no chance for Zoe. The point then tells you that you can only charge for 3 hours (although the car park has a 5 hour limit). So... a single leaf could gain ~ 30 miles range in 3 hours in a car park holding many hundreds (thousand?) on two levels.

What's the point? Is this just an example of greenwash? If they'd used a 7Kw post with two Type 2 sockets and it had been available always then the annual cost would surely be negligible compared to the installation cost (featuring longer than technically necessary cable runs); and the Zoe, as in the snap below, could have plugged in. It would be worth the effort of getting the cable out of the boot and EV drivers would have got a positive impression rather than negative.

So, are the other M&S with chargepoints this poor or is this an exception? Am I being too critical of a free offering?

My perception is that this point is to be seen rather than be used...shame as otherwise the green credentials of this store are commendable.
MandS charging.jpg
Rant over.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I haven't come across any other M&S charging points but I have seen the one at Cheshire Oaks and would agree that it is a pretty poor offering.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I like the photo! I wish my car was as clean as those.
They would be better installing rapids like Waitrose, who now gets my custom in preference to M&S.
Though I suppose if you were desperate and nearly depleted you would be grateful even for 10A so they are not totally useless.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I like the photo! I wish my car was as clean as those.
They would be better installing rapids like Waitrose, who now gets my custom in preference to M&S.
Are you serious? You seriously base your food choices on getting a few pence of free electricity?

I can imagine choosing a hotel, shopping centre or car park based on there being charging but surely your weekly food shopping is worth more than that? I find that the quality of food available at Waitrose is far better than anything at the other supermarkets and would never base where I food shop on a bit of car charging.

I am all for supporting those retailers that provide charging but I draw the line at letting it influence where I buy my food. To me that is far more important.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Are you serious? You seriously base your food choices on getting a few pence of free electricity?
Yes, I admit that I am seriously tight. The Outlander PHEV has an EV range of around 30 miles so to try to avoid petrol stations I have found that I try to make the most of rapid chargers when I am out. So far, I have found that they are usually unoccupied when I arrive and there is no-one around looking to charge when I leave. When I go to Asda, I choose the locations with chargers over those without.

·
Registered
340 Posts
are you sure those posts only have 13A outlets? I used one that looked the same as that once and was confused but it turned out it did have a type 2 outlet that was very well hidden under a completely flush seemless cover. After faffing around for a bit I seem to remember it only popped open and revealed itself after I swiped my card...

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
@John2 OK, that is fair enough. In a way it is good that we do support those retailers that provide charging so I do understand. I just feel that food is more important than a pound or two of charging a week. I suppose I think more of my stomach than my wallet... hence my weight :eek:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Derek, there were two flush covers and the screen said that only one side was active. Upon card presentation the 13A flap opened. I'll be happy to be wrong if the other side starts working and a type 2 socket is revealed but both sides had a 3kw label

·
Registered
621 Posts
I was at the rather spendid M&S Cheshire Oaks (again) today. It's one of their flagship green stores and has plenty of features that I applaud but the charging points for EVs is not one of them unfortunately. There is a single post next to two spaces situated on a junction towards the exit, with a prominent sign highlighting their presence. Given the distance from the store, and presumably a longer than normal cable length, the position appears selected to be noticed. Fair enough I thought until I became a user...

The post is Pod-Point and has a sign on both sides proclaiming 3Kw. However they are actually just two 13 amp three pin sockets and only one has ever been available (as in active/able to be used rather than no one using it) when I've been there. As a Leaf owner I can only get 10A through the brick; no chance for Zoe. The point then tells you that you can only charge for 3 hours (although the car park has a 5 hour limit). So... a single leaf could gain ~ 30 miles range in 3 hours in a car park holding many hundreds (thousand?) on two levels.

What's the point? Is this just an example of greenwash? If they'd used a 7Kw post with two Type 2 sockets and it had been available always then the annual cost would surely be negligible compared to the installation cost (featuring longer than technically necessary cable runs); and the Zoe, as in the snap below, could have plugged in. It would be worth the effort of getting the cable out of the boot and EV drivers would have got a positive impression rather than negative.

So, are the other M&S with chargepoints this poor or is this an exception? Am I being too critical of a free offering?

My perception is that this point is to be seen rather than be used...shame as otherwise the green credentials of this store are commendable. View attachment 1686 Rant over.
It is crackers isn't it and I really think that at some point all the posts which are only 3kW need to be updated to have type 2/7kW sockets.
Just to be picky, you sound surprised to see a 3 pin socket underneath the flap which said 3kW... Just for your information, all sockets I have ever come across which are labelled 3kW are just a standard 3 pin socket. I know the leaf can only pull 10amps (~2.4kW) but it doesn't change the fact that the socket is rated to 13amps (~3kW).
Also the Zoe can charge from a standard 3 pin socket but the extra lead needs to be bought and it is quite expensive. However I shelled out for one to give my mother peace of mind with her Zoe so that she can use it all the time...

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said regarding it being greenwash and pointless! You are totally correct and its crazy how much money has been wasted up and down the country on posts like this... I have a Pod Point at my local Sainsbury's in Ely and its never worked for the last year. Its gone over the initial agreement period for servicing and so I think the site would have to pay for the maintenance now, which they do not want to do. So we just have 2 simple 3 pin sockets that cannot be used. Its so frustrating when it is a 3 pin socket as a £10 dumb socket would cost massively less to install in the first place and then hardly ever fail unlike some of these.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Just to be clear... the Leaf can charge at 16A but only 10A on a 3-pin socket. It is limited to 10A so ensure than a 13A circuit has a greater margin of safety. To charge at 13A on a 13A circuit would likely cause overheating problems. I have seen a Peugeot Ion 13A EVSE plug completely melted... they then changed to a 10A EVSE.

·
Registered
920 Posts
There's a comment on openchargemap suggesting this post is now a Type 2 (but was previously 3pin). The metadata also lists it as 7kW. Anyone know if this has been upgraded?

·
Registered
85 Posts

I can imagine choosing a hotel, shopping centre or car park based on there being charging but surely your weekly food shopping is worth more than that? I find that the quality of food available at Waitrose is far better than anything at the other supermarkets and would never base where I food shop on a bit of car charging.

I am all for supporting those retailers that provide charging but I draw the line at letting it influence where I buy my food. To me that is far more important.

Here in Kings Lynn there are Tesco and Sainsbury opposite each other. One has a Pod Point while the other relies on Luddite boxes ( sorry petrol engines) for its clientele. To the best of my knowledge branded products are the same between the different stores. The prices of baskets vary very little. So I most definitely serious. If I'm in the Leaf I'll go to Sainsburys, plug in and get the same stuff that I could have got from Tesco. There are precious few points in Norfolk and on a point of principle I'd support this venture by them. I'm sure wait rose is a fine grocer but for example Fairy washing powder is no better from them than Sainsburys and it's not worth the 80 mile round trip for me

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's a comment on openchargemap suggesting this post is now a Type 2 (but was previously 3pin). The metadata also lists it as 7kW. Anyone know if this has been upgraded?
Yes, the post was upgraded to two type 2 sockets :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yes, the post was upgraded to two type 2 sockets :)
And do you know if they're 7kW instead of 3kW now? (I presume so, and that the 10A 3-pin socket was the liming factor before).

Hmmm, just realised; this is PodPoint? I presume no other cards work there? Says their app is still in testing... :(

·
Registered
1 Posts

My perception is that this point is to be seen rather than be used...shame as otherwise the green credentials of this store are commendable. View attachment 1686 Rant over.
I visited C/Oakes M&S on Saturday afternoon the charging point screen informed me that I needed to remember which side I was connected too as I needed this info so I could be Charged later? also it took 20 mins to back out of the space as not one driver would stop to allow me to reverse as this point is far to close to the "T" junction entrance / exit of the ground floor!

·
Registered
707 Posts

We do the same. Primary shop is M&S but then the basic brand named stuff ~(cleaning products etc) all come from Asda.

Why ASDA & not Sainsbuy's (both are equidistant from home), because they have free charging. (when it's not ice'd)

·
Registered
98 Posts
As Cheshire Oakes attracts shoppers from far and wide ( I know people that come up from Sidmouth once a year just to shop there! ) it would seem a prime spot for some Rapid Chargers. As for M & S, I think they just wanted to tick a green box, along with the building design, and gave no thought to the practicalities.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I made an enquiry about this charging unit to Pod Point about three weeks ago. I wanted to know if this unit would be suitable for the Golf GTE I should take delivery of at the end of September. I was contacted by :-
Lucian C. Ene
Operational Support Manager
POD Point Ltd.
Who kindly inform me that this unit had been recently been upgraded and is now a "Plug and Play" unit that does not require a RFID access card anymore. The previous unit DID require a card but not the new unit, also he said there is currently a "no charge" costing at this post as M&S are supporting the cost of the electricity consumed by there customers. I have been checking out the charging units close to my home address, and was very surprised to see that this is the ONLY charging point supplied on Cheshire Oaks. When you consider the volume of people that patronises this shopping centre in a week, never mind a year its a poor show really.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I visited C/Oakes M&S on Saturday afternoon the charging point screen informed me that I needed to remember which side I was connected too as I needed this info so I could be Charged later? also it took 20 mins to back out of the space as not one driver would stop to allow me to reverse as this point is far to close to the "T" junction entrance / exit of the ground floor!
We tried to use it for the first time a few weeks ago too. There was an i3 using one side, and the other side was flashing red :( I reported it to PodPoint on Twitter who since said it's fixed; however we were unable to get a data signal from there (giffgaff/O2), so I don't think we'd be able to start a charge anyway! :(

We also struggled to get reverse out... really badly positioned!

Who kindly inform me that this unit had been recently been upgraded and is now a "Plug and Play" unit that does not require a RFID access card anymore.
This is correct, but you do need a mobile data signal to start/stop the charge (and to sign up to their website).

I have been checking out the charging units close to my home address, and was very surprised to see that this is the ONLY charging point supplied on Cheshire Oaks.
This disappoints us too... I've tweeted McAuthur Glenn a few times (along with some restaurants etc.) around there, but nobody really seems interested. Other than Chester Services, charging around here is kinda useless. I tweeted the council too, and was been told "But Vauxhall and M&S have chargers!" (both were 3pin sockets at the time)... :-(

1 - 20 of 42 Posts