Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that you might like a bit of light relief from the doom and gloom and enjoy the Goldilocks claims of this new announcement of progress on a four-year project. You can be excused for showing a bit of disbelief.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,110 Posts
Any recent breakthroughs on nuclear fusion whilst you're at it? ;)
Last I heard, the Korean reactor has managed to stay lit for 20 seconds.

And the UK is looking to host the first commercial fusion power station

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Well, have to say I can believe this approach, sounds a bit like annealing the cathode to restore the normal properties. But there's at least 3 hurdles still to get over.
1) Does this last enough charge-discharge cycles? They're up against Tesla's "million mile" target, not last year's.
2) What's the energy consumption of this extra heating going to be? Not much use if it double the refill costs.
3) Is there any extra BMS control needed? I suspect there must be, or a the very least extra chippery in each cell, this is all extra cost.

We're still very much in the "Wild West" stage of battery development, new stuff appearing daily, 90% of which will fade into history. Quite a time to go, I think, before any "final" optimal design gets generally accepted. E.g. I'd hazard a guess that present day Alkaline batteries (AA etc) are pretty-much "finalised", and have superceded the older "Zinc-Carbon" type which were standard issue around 60 years ago. We're not even at the "Zinc-Carbon" stage, I think...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts