Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this happened this morning. Went to Newport Pagnell welcome break. Tested the ecotricity DC rapid charger. It said max charge limit was 80% (the IKEA one will let you push to 100%, as I believe most do?), but this said 80%, so well, that's that.

Only I charged the LEAF and it was reading over 90% before I finished.

How/who/what?! Anyone know what's going on there? o_O

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's stupid they can't communicate properly. The one at IKEA Milton Keynes says it'll go to 100% and does, this one says 80% and goes over it... but maybe not always? Still great, but it'd be good if they could be consistent and accurate with information/feedback provided.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
OK... this is an ongoing misunderstanding about Ecotricity & Nissan rapid chargers...

All the Ecotricity and Nissan rapid chargers should go to near 100%. No charger will charge to 100% though as they stop at about 98% .

The important thing to remember is not to set any time or charge level. Always use the "standard charge" button.

If your car is under 50% when you start a charge it will charge to about 80%. This will probably be about 90% (can vary a bit) on the charger as the chargers over-read by about 10% (worth remembering).

If your car is over 50% when you start a charge then it will go to max... about 98%

I have driven all over the country trying to find a charger than won't charge to near 100% and I can't find one. I even drove to Waterlooville (180 miles) because someone was insistent that it wouldn't go over 80%. They were wrong. They were trying to set a charge level and it wouldn't allow you to set a level beyond 80% but by using the standard charge and doing it twice (low to 80% then again 80% to max) you could get 98% charge.

Charging to max takes a while though. The charger will gradually throttle back the current from about 70% up until at about 80% it is 70A and then progressively drops it to about 4A at about 98%. This means that the final 10% is much slower. It typically takes me under 30 mins to get to 80% (90% on the charger) and then another 20-30 mins to get to max.

If I don't need every last yard of charge I usually stop the charge when the current gets to about 10A but if I need the range I will allow it to go on until it stops at about 98%.

Clearly, I have not personally tested every charger so if you think that an Ecotricity charger will not allow a charge to max using the double charge technique then I'd love to know so I can check it out.

Here is instructions and a video that Grant Thomas did at Waterlooville explaining this:

http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/12541-Rapid-Charge-capped-at-80-or-30mins?p=43729&viewfull=1#post43729

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ecotricity rapid at IKEA will let you set the charge to 100% and will get there (or near enough, never given it time but it goes over 90...), no need to "double plug". I've done this while shopping there.

The one at Newport Pagnell services only lets you set the charge to 80% (indicated on the charger). However today I went (with fair bit of charge already) and it indicated it was at about 91% when I unplugged.

My real point/question I guess is why say only 80% when it goes over, it's confusing.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If you start a charge when over 50% it will go over 80%... right up to max.

The real problem here is that people are trying to set the charge time or charge limit. Some chargers will let you set a limit of 100% some won't. It depends on how it is set up. But then because you can't set 100% people are saying your can't charge to 100% and that is not so.

As far as I know, all chargers behave the same way for standard charge and the double charge technique should work.

My recommendation is always to use standard charge and not set time or charge limit and you won't go wrong.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Just to be clear... the charger uses the real state of charge to determine when to stop... not its own display. So if you set 80% on the charger it will charge the car to about 80% (I have seen 81% but that is splitting hairs) but the display will read about 90% when it stops.

This is all very confusing. I accept that. Ecotricity are away of this and when I met the guys over from Amsterdam last week they too know that DBT chargers overread in this way so it isn't just Ecotricity... it seems to be all DBT CHAdeMO rapid chargers everywhere!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I understand all these points but like to add my local IKEA Gateshead can be manually set to 95% in 60 minutes but the new Washington services is fixed at 80% max. Last night I was at Washington Services waiting for David and Robert and although I had 70% I plugged in to test. The charge stopped at 80%! I restarted the charge and it continued as expected. So why did it stop and not carry on to the 90+%? There does not seem to be a consistency to these being set up unless the site owners are allowed to specify their charge requirements.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand all these points but like to add my local IKEA Gateshead can be manually set to 95% in 60 minutes but the new Washington services is fixed at 80% max. Last night I was at Washington Services waiting for David and Robert and although I had 70% I plugged in to test. The charge stopped at 80%! I restarted the charge and it continued as expected. So why did it stop and not carry on to the 90+%? There does not seem to be a consistency to these being set up unless the site owners are allowed to specify their charge requirements.
I'll do a test soon, I'll drop the charge to about 70% and "rapid" charge at IKEA (where you can set it to 100%) and measure what happens.
Then I'll do the same at Newport Pagnell services (where you can only set it to 80%) and share the results.

But yes, that just adds to the confusion, which to all intents and purposes was really nicely cleared up by @Paul_Churchley, until you chimed in @Colin! :D

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
After talking to Ecotricity about this I understood that all this confusion was due to the installers setting up the chargers in a different way rather than charger capability. There seems to have been a misunderstanding between the parties concerned (Nissan, Ecotricity and the installers) that has resulted in chargers being set up differently.

It is causing a lot of confusion I agree and that is why I suggest that if you don't know the capabilities of your charger then use the standard charge and double charge technique. It is of course quite likely you will get to know the charegrs you regularly use and can set the limits to suit your requirements :)

It would be great if Ecotricity could make sure that the chargers are all set up the same way. It pretty much doesn't matter what it is as long as it is consistent!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would be great if Ecotricity could make sure that the chargers are all set up the same way. It pretty much doesn't matter what it is as long as it is consistent!
Zing! :D And this is what everyone in the world would most likely agree on... Aside from those involved in installing them it appears! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts