Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I right in thinking that my car (MY20, which does not come with a 3-phase on board charger) can charger a 7.4 kW on a 3-phase 11 kW chargepoint? Or will it be 3.7 and can 7.4 only be achieved at a 22 kW 3-phase charger or a 7.4 kW single phase charger?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! For some reason I thought it could combine 2 phases into 1 but I was confused with what I read on the issue with a 3-phase zappi charger.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The MY20 e-Niro can charge at 7.4 kW from a single phase supply.

The MY21 4+ can charge at 7.4 kW from a single phase and 11kW from a 3-phase supply

The confusion, I think, is from the way the inverters in the car are connected. Yours has 2 x 3.7kW inverters that are connected in parallel. The 4+ has three, using 2 in parallel for a single phase source, but when connected to 3-phase uses one inverter per phase.

·
Registered
29 Posts

The MY21 4+ can charge at 7.4 kW from a single phase and 11kW from a 3-phase supply

The confusion, I think, is from the way the inverters in the car are connected. Yours has 2 x 3.7kW inverters that are connected in parallel. The 4+ has three, using 2 in parallel for a single phase source, but when connected to 3-phase uses one inverter per phase.
I’m puzzled buy all this. Are you saying that a Kia 4 with an ability to charge at 7.4 kw on a single phase inverter will only charge at 3.7 kw. on a thee phase point. I know the 4+ will charge at 11kw on three phase & 7.4 on single phase.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I’m puzzled buy all this. Are you saying that a Kia 4 with an ability to charge at 7.4 kw on a single phase inverter will only charge at 3.7 kw. on a thee phase point. I know the 4+ will charge at 11kw on three phase & 7.4 on single phase.
Wobby yes, but a lot of 3 phase chargers standarise on 22kwh now, so it's 7.2kwh a phase, so fine. Rare to see an 11kwh charge post in wild... I've personally never seen one, seen MANY 22 and 44 AC posts... and the most common are 7.2 single phase, meaning the 11kwh in the 4+ goes unused.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV, Red, 64kWh Premium SE (10.5kW OBC)
51 Posts

Rectifiers, not inverters, but otherwise close enough. (The older single phase OBC has a single 32A rectifier, the three-phase OBC has three 16A rectifiers and uses two in parallel when on a single phase supply to handle 32A)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wobby yes, but a lot of 3 phase chargers standarise on 22kwh now, so it's 7.2kwh a phase, so fine. Rare to see an 11kwh charge post in wild... I've personally never seen one, seen MANY 22 and 44 AC posts... and the most common are 7.2 single phase, meaning the 11kwh in the 4+ goes unused.
That’s a shame as I was hoping that with the 11kw charger on my soon to arrive 4+ It would give me a quicker charge on a type 2 charge point, if I found one that was three phase! 🤨🤨

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you find a 3-phase charger it'll charge at 11 kW, whether it's an 11 kW or a 22 kW charger.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
488 Posts
That’s a shame as I was hoping that with the 11kw charger on my soon to arrive 4+ It would give me a quicker charge on a type 2 charge point, if I found one that was three phase! 🤨🤨
It will... If the car (4+) has a three phase charger, and you use a three phase ac charge point, it will be able to take more current than a car with a single phase charger.

I don’t believe there any situation where a car with 11kw three phase charging will be slower as two of the 16A chargers are paralleled for connection to a single phase 32A supply.

Unless you have the luxury of three phase at home, or maybe at work, a three phase charger is only beneficial if you regularly travel around areas where there are lots of three phase chargers and very few rapids. Donegal for example.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would add if you travel to europe lots you'll get the benefit of the 11Kw charging, most type-2 in europe ARE 3 phase -> thats a bonus due to the amount of Zoes in for example France. It's not entirely useless, just wasn't a deal maker on our purchase (we would have waited for the 4+ I think). So far in 3 months of owning the 4, I have done "lots" of destination charging on type-2 (mostly at podpoints & polar), but am yet to find a in-wild 3 phase unit, all have been single phase "so far" except when I was chargign on CCS and it was on same unit, but slower!

I agree though in Ireland/rest of EU its' more useful. There are carpark in my next town over with 28 type-2 bays, all are single phase -> ditto my work has 100 chargers today, and all are single phase. (sadly). They have even reduced the current at work to 16A to support more chargers as they have found more chargers better than having us all have to swap at lunchtimes in non-covid times so everyone gets a charge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts