Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Weird because it shows you how to set the max charge limit, but doesn't bother to explain why that might be a good idea.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Even if you don't care about extending battery life, stopping DC charging at somewhere between 75% and 85% is good from a time efficiency stand point at least.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What are the stats on SOH on early e-niro's ? I wonder how much degradation one should expect after 40k miles.
Have a look at Stageshoots Kona, now up to 63000 miles and still going strong. There's no noticable battery degradation, and his car gets a lot of DC rapid charging.

John.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
327 Posts
Cool, after owning Leaf - which after 50k miles went down to 85% SOH - it would be interesting to find out how E-Niro compares.
Well the eNiro uses the same running gear as the eKona!

·
Registered
327 Posts
But a different battery supplier. I think thermal management + more modern chemistry make it likely to last better than a leaf 30 though.
Correct,
The Kona uses batteries from LG Chem, and the Kia used to use batteries from SK Innovation (not sure if they still do!). There was a rather nasty bust up between both companies when it turned out SK inovattion poached a large number of staff from LG Chem, and then produced batteries that looked very similar to LG Chem's. :eek: I think it went to court.

If I can find the article I'll post a link.

John.

EDIT:- Link as promised

·
Registered
127 Posts
SK Innovation still supplies batteries for the Niro. They also supply batteries for the new Konas being built in Europe this year.

These cars have a hidden battery buffer at 100% charge (~4% remains unused) which will mask any signs of initial degradation. Once the degradation exceeds this buffer, your SOH % value should begin to drop.

·
Registered
280 Posts
All batteries have that buffer. It's due to the nature of LiOn batteries. Thermal runaway and inability to charge it again, etc - if you go outside certain margins. They are of course well padded for safety and other reasons too (i.e., car not used few many months, temp changes, etc, etc).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts