Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How common is it for the local power company to refuse a domestic charger installation because of maximum load issues? I gather the cost of rectifying this can be horrendous and it would be a complete disaster for my situation!

·
Registered
921 Posts
It happens, but there are ways to mitigate it. Podpoints can sense your other loads and tailor their charge rate.

Alternatively, just get a 3.7kw charger.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
By law, your DNO has to provide information regarding your supply (fuse rating and earthing arrangement).
If they don't have records, they will have to survey the property and provide the required information FOR FREE.

Your next step will be to engage an electrician to tabulate a LOAD LIST for your property, allowing for diversity on general purpose sockets and including the fixed heavy consumers of electricity like electric showers, electric ovens, pottery kilns etc

One you have the DNOs fuse rating and your Electricians load list, report back to the forum for suggestions on how to fit in the EV charger.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What I would also do, if you find your DNO advise the main incoming fuse is 60A rather than 100A, is to get them to quote for a price to "reinforce the supply" to 100A. You may find that the price is way less than you imagined, if all they need to do is change the fuse, like it was for my case.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks for posting this Mikey - I may be in the same boat as you, got someone coming tomorrow to check it out, so the advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of the procedure, and I don't think getting the info from the DNO would be a problem. What DOES concern me is that, by the time I get the info (and have bought the vehicle) there will be no way back if it turns out there is a big load issue. My electrician advises that the cost for increasing load capacity into the property could be as much as £5k which would totally destroy my financials on the vehicle purchase.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By law, your DNO has to provide information regarding your supply (fuse rating and earthing arrangement).
If they don't have records, they will have to survey the property and provide the required information FOR FREE.

Your next step will be to engage an electrician to tabulate a LOAD LIST for your property, allowing for diversity on general purpose sockets and including the fixed heavy consumers of electricity like electric showers, electric ovens, pottery kilns etc

One you have the DNOs fuse rating and your Electricians load list, report back to the forum for suggestions on how to fit in the EV charger.
Thanks. Getting the info is not the problem. It's the potential financial burden of having to rectify any shortcomings!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
My electrician advises that the cost for increasing load capacity into the property could be as much as £5k which would totally destroy my financials on the vehicle purchase.
In that case the (2kW) granny charger plus a bit of public charging is going to be the sensible option. A bit less convenient but it takes a long time to payback investments like that with savings from not using a rapid very often.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In that case the (2kW) granny charger plus a bit of public charging is going to be the sensible option. A bit less convenient but it takes a long time to payback investments like that with savings from not using a rapid very often.
Simply not practical as it's a work vehicle and not enough time for turn-arounds on that basis. Just to be clear, we're not in that position necessarily, but it's a scary thought that it's possible

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I doubt there are many houses that can't support a reasonable charge rate. If you can have an electric shower, you can have a 7kW charger - worst case you may need to have one thet load-balances to reduce charge rate when other heavy loads in the house are in use.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok that's encouraging! I don't need to go higher than 7kW so should be able to get something practical even in the worst case.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
And what happens if you install one without telling them?
You're on dodgy ground as you're required to notify them. I'd look at going for a charge point like a Zappi with load limiting, to prevent your demand going above your fuse limit - it's hard to see how they can object to that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quite a few charge points have load sensing coils now; "Project E.V" versions have them at the less costly end of the spectrum.
They would get around the embarrassment of wanting to shower and charge at the same time, without the whole house being plunged into darkness by blowing the DNO's cut-out! :giggle:
In my case, I approached the DNO and after an "email survey" they agreed to reinforce my supply with a new 100A fuse.
Deborah.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 100A main fuse, so I thought there ought to be no problem having a 7kW charger fitted. Pod Point fitted the charger and duly notified my DNO. However, the load calculation allowing for diversity came to more than 100A, so I received a phone call from the DNO. It was agreed to put a monitoring device on my supply to see what the actual load was, rather than a theoretical calculation. The load was monitored for a month, during which period I used the charger to charge my Leaf. I heard no more from the DNO, other than when a couple of guys turned up to remove the monitoring equipment.

As an aside, I am now having a 12kW ASHP installed which will further increase the load. This needs pre-approval from the DNO, who have advised that the cabling to my house will need to be upgraded and they are doing this FOC. It appears to me that my DNO (WPD) are going everything they can to support EVs, heat pumps, etc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts