Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My just out of warranty Zappi 1 has started playing up with spurious power fail errors at random. I find no charging occurring and the Zappi display just says Power Supply Fail!. Actually cutting the supply to it reboots it and all is fine until it does it again. This is currently being looked at by MyEnergi, but I have a horrible feeling I am going to have to fork out on a replacement.

I currently have a Golf GTE and a small 1.5kW solar array, but The GTE is being replaced by an ID3 in Aug/Sept, and the vast majority of my charging will be done at night on the Octopus Go cheap rate, so having something monitoring the output from my solar panels is not really a priority.

Assuming MyEnergi don’t come up with a nice cheep fix what would you recommend for a replacement?

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
My just out of warranty Zappi 1 has started playing up with spurious power fail errors at random. I find no charging occurring and the Zappi display just says Power Supply Fail!. Actually cutting the supply to it reboots it and all is fine until it does it again. This is currently being looked at by MyEnergi, but I have a horrible feeling I am going to have to fork out on a replacement.

I currently have a Golf GTE and a small 1.5kW solar array, but The GTE is being replaced by an ID3 in Aug/Sept, and the vast majority of my charging will be done at night on the Octopus Go cheap rate, so having something monitoring the output from my solar panels is not really a priority.

Assuming MyEnergi don’t come up with a nice cheep fix what would you recommend for a replacement?
Something simple that will last forever😁

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Something simple that will last forever😁
Been my policy for a long time. Simple stuff tends to be reliable in the main.

Our house has standard light switches, my choice.

A neighbour spent thousands on a "smart" system that controls all the lights in the house, allows him to use his phone to switch them on and off from anywhere in the world, etc, etc. In the two years he's had the system I don't think he's gone for more than a week without some glitch in the system, or the servers of whoever runs the cloud back end.

in five years we've yet to have a light switch not work. I don't really care too much about not being able to turn our lights on or off from the other side of the world, I just want to always be able to turn them on when walking into a room.

It's the same with our charge points. Both are dumb, with no "smart" functionality, internet connectivity, etc. Both have ordinary time switches internally, that can be switched (with a physical switch) to allow either instant or off peak charging. Neither have glitched ever, and given that they are so dead simple, I don't expect them to fail for a decade or more (that's probably put the mockers on them . . . ).

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,777 Posts
Hopefully myenergi sort you out a solution or a low cost upgrade. If not then since you are with octopus 🐙 then get an Ohme charger for £200, or the EO mini for ~£600

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully myenergi sort you out a solution or a low cost upgrade. If not then since you are with octopus 🐙 then get an Ohme charger for £200, or the EO mini for ~£600
Getting a commando socket installed and buying the £199 charger may be the cheapest option. The EO mini price is based on and install with grant, which I cant make use of.

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,153 Posts
Perhaps consider getting a Zappi 2. With all the wiring and other gubbins (clamp, hub) in place it would be an easy swap.

Reactions: Petriix

·
Registered
124 Posts

Id badger myenergi a bit more to fix the issue first..

how old is the unit?

If it cant be fixed, tell them that you arent happy, and that the amount you paid for the charger and install doesnt warrant the time it has lasted. Push for at least a discount on a new Zappi.

I presume that the firmware is all up to date?

If not, dumb chargers are a good way to go, 9/10 its normally a connectivity issue when an EVCP goes wrong.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Id badger myenergi a bit more to fix the issue first..

how old is the unit?

If it cant be fixed, tell them that you arent happy, and that the amount you paid for the charger and install doesnt warrant the time it has lasted. Push for at least a discount on a new Zappi.

I presume that the firmware is all up to date?

If not, dumb chargers are a good way to go, 9/10 its normally a connectivity issue when an EVCP goes wrong.
Well afer some of the recomended badgering, I have had a result! This morning I was told that as it was 5 months out of warranty that I would have to send it back and pay for a repair, after pointing out that it was installed in late May of 2018 I have been told it falls in their 2 month grace period and they are going to send me out a replacement unit, and pay for it to be installed.

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,777 Posts
Excellent, glad it is all progressing to a great result.(y)(y)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I delayed delivery until today, due to a holiday. Replacement turned up this morning, and I was pleased to see I have got brand new Zappi 2 rather than a referbished 1 :). Just need to get it fitted now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts