Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the May software update (not the satnav), my car no longer has 'Utility Mode' instead you press the start button without putting your foot on the brake pedal.

One press for basic functions, two presses for Utility Mode, it looks like the car is on and ready to go but the gear change only allows Park or Neutral.

It would be useful if there was a manual for this and any other changes they have made, one of these post COVID-19 days, I'll badger my local Hyundai dealership for an update.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Hmm, Utility Mode is still in my menus... but I do have the faster charging regime (I think) from the BMS update as it held >44kW right up to about 74% yesterday.

Something that has disappeared on the new sat nav interface: where it says "Traffic: +8min" or whatever, you could tap on it and it brought up a list of all the delays on your journey. Tapping on it now does nothing! You have to go to the triple-line menu button in the bottom left and select a traffic option. Definitely a step backward :(

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The updates have worked fine for me. The slightly improved charging curve is welcome, and the sat nav updates are good with the single exception I mentioned above. Overall I'm glad I had them. Who knows what other safety-related things are in there that we don't know about too...

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Since the May software update (not the satnav), my car no longer has 'Utility Mode' instead you press the start button without putting your foot on the brake pedal.

One press for basic functions, two presses for Utility Mode, it looks like the car is on and ready to go but the gear change only allows Park or Neutral.
The Press-start-without-pedal option has always been there, though I'm not sure what purpose it serves.

Mine still has Utility Mode after the updates.

I don't think the Press-start-without-pedal option gives you Utility Mode. The 12V supply voltage is (on mine) only about 12V, which means it's probably off the unassisted 12V battery. So it will flatten eventually without being topped up.
If I select Utility Mode the voltage remains in the high 14s (same as 'drive' from where it's selected) and it also displays "UTIL" or something on the cluster.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Yes, the press-without-pedal is not Utility Mode and will repeatedly warn you that there is "battery draw while engine is not running" which in this case means the DC-DC inverter isn't running to power the 12V side of things, so it will indeed run your battery flat.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
497 Posts
The updates have worked fine for me. The slightly improved charging curve is welcome, and the sat nav updates are good with the single exception I mentioned above. Overall I'm glad I had them. Who knows what other safety-related things are in there that we don't know about too...
ditto

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Press-start-without-pedal option has always been there, though I'm not sure what purpose it serves.

Mine still has Utility Mode after the updates.

I don't think the Press-start-without-pedal option gives you Utility Mode. The 12V supply voltage is (on mine) only about 12V, which means it's probably off the unassisted 12V battery. So it will flatten eventually without being topped up.
If I select Utility Mode the voltage remains in the high 14s (same as 'drive' from where it's selected) and it also displays "UTIL" or something on the cluster.
Press start a Second time without pedal is different from just once. Not sure what is being used.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think the first press is like "ACC" on other cars - allows radio, maybe 12v acecssory socket.
The button press functions are sort of explained on p17 of this document
That's a better explanation than in the manual - though the latter shows the different LED indications, it's printed in black & white, so not very useful!

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV 64kw Premium SE
67 Posts
my car no longer has 'Utility Mode' instead you press the start button without putting your foot on the brake pedal.
What is utility mode? (Sorry, not got my car yet)

·
Registered
Kona 2020 Premium SE 64kW
33 Posts
I've been trying Utility mode for the first time and every 15 minutes I get a warning from Bluelink saying "The engine is on for xx minutes. We recommend turning off the engine for safety."

Is this expected or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
You guys might find the manual useful at this point :)

Reactions: mikegs

·
Registered
343 Posts
What is utility mode? (Sorry, not got my car yet)
Assuming it is the same as the e-Niro it runs electrical items on the car from the high voltage battery rather than the 12volt battery. Thus if you want to sit in the car for 24 hours listening to the radio or with the lights on you can do so without flattening the 12 volt battery. Particularly useful if you wish to experiment with the audio etc in the car without driving the car.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV 64kw Premium SE
67 Posts
Assuming it is the same as the e-Niro it runs electrical items on the car from the high voltage battery rather than the 12volt battery. Thus if you want to sit in the car for 24 hours listening to the radio or with the lights on you can do so without flattening the 12 volt battery. Particularly useful if you wish to experiment with the audio etc in the car without driving the car.
Ah! Makes sense. Thank you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts