Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
HughQ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newbie may I firstly congratulate the forum owners and contributors on providing an excellent source of information for existing and budding electric car owners.

As a retired Chartered Electrical Engineer I am predisposed towards the idea of an Electric car. Up until now though the lack of adequate range has put me off. However, the Hyundai Ionic has got me thinking. I would be interested in hearing from any Ionic owners regarding their experiences in relation to range and ownership in general. It also seems that there are no attractive pcp deals available yet. Probably to be expected with a new model?

·
Registered
2018 Soul EV
2,555 Posts
@Hugh Duddy welcome. Ioniq is a good EV for sure. But its CCS charging is still lagging behind Chademo installed in the UK, despite being EUs preferred standard. That will change in time but for now should be kept in mind.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,323 Posts
On the matter of your thread title "Maybe a future Electric Car owner" - if you are still driving in 2030 then this is a near certainty, not a speculation.

The
only real question is 'when' not 'if' for most people, though the majority don't seem to realise that yet.

Welcome!

·
HughQ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI Mark and Donald. Thanks for comments. Mark could you please elaborate on the CCS /Chademo thing? Sorry I'm not familiar with charging options etc at this stage.

Donald, if I live that long I will be 81 in 2030 and hopefully will be still driving and hopefully an Electric car. Your future prediction raises two interesting questions though.

Are electricity generating and transmission companies geared up for the increased electricity demand? I'm not so sure they are.

Where is the government going to recover the lost tax revenue from diesel and petrol sales?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Are electricity generating and transmission companies geared up for the increased electricity demand? I'm not so sure they are.
As most charging will be done at night when the grid is operating well within its capacity, there is unlikely to be any need for major changes to the grid. It just needs a way to ensure that most people don't charge their EVs in the early evening period. Many EV drivers install economy 7 meters and only charge at night when its cheaper. There is even a tariff which makes it even cheaper at night, but more pricey during the peak period:

TIDE – a new time-of-day money-saving tariff | Green Energy UK

I haven't switched to this but if I ever replace the second (Diesel) car with another EV then this would be a no-brainer. I'm sure other suppliers will follow.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Hello Hugh, firstly welcome to Speak EV and the world of greener motoring!

Where is the government going to recover the lost tax revenue from diesel and petrol sales?
Almost certainly from road tax and/or pay-per-mile tariffs. Make the most of it, and the benefits of EV ownership (free parking in some areas, potential use of bus lanes, no congestion charge, etc) before the masses adopt EVs.

As Donald said, most people use cheap rate overnight electricity - meaning you get around 2p/mile, often cheaper depending on who your electricity supplier is. Also if you have solar PV at your house, you could get around 10,000 miles of motoring for the average UK installation.

·
Registered
244 Posts
As a newbie may I firstly congratulate the forum owners and contributors on providing an excellent source of information for existing and budding electric car owners.

As a retired Chartered Electrical Engineer I am predisposed towards the idea of an Electric car. Up until now though the lack of adequate range has put me off. However, the Hyundai Ionic has got me thinking. I would be interested in hearing from any Ionic owners regarding their experiences in relation to range and ownership in general. It also seems that there are no attractive pcp deals available yet. Probably to be expected with a new model?
Hi Hugh, welcome to Speak EV. It is great to hear that you are interested in getting an electric vehicle. Are you looking at the 100% electric Ioniq? If so, you may also want to consider the Nissan LEAF (Nissan LEAF - Electric Car - Hatchback | Nissan). If you have any questions let us know.
Thanks, ^ML

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts