Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, second week at work with new Nissan eNV200...asked supplier why fitted with tungsten headlights, told it was cost...I saw one thread talking about it- yes, I agree ballast for indicators but does anyone know of any technical issues swapping to LED's for other lights? Seems mental not to, given all the other range extending options it has...or do the lights run off the 12v battery? Having said that still a sensible thing to do.
Talking of range, London to Oxfordshire and back and even with heater on still juice left....though I think the claimed 174 miles/charge a bit optimistic. I'd say confident 120 and hopeful 140-150...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Led replacements for tungsten bulbs are generally not road legal unless the whole headlight assembly including the reflector is replaced. Lots are advertised, but if you read the small print it usually says for use off road only.

·
Super Moderator
11,708 Posts
Tungsten headlights are about 45W on low beam and 65W on high.

That's 90W. The savings to switch to LED is about 80W.

That works out to about 1 extra mile for every 3 hours of headlights on.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
342 Posts
Aftermarket LED bulbs are marketed as 'off road use only' as they are not E-marked. This could lead to a MoT fail.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Read the GM Volt/Ampera threads for information regarding "upgrades".
Most of us have changed the headlamps simply for safety reasons as they only have a single halogen filament for main and dip.

All my three cars have HID headlamps, none of which conform to the letter of the regs which means they don't have automatic levelling or washers but what they do have is improved visibility on dip when driving against oncoming traffic which the halogens certainly don't.

HIDs have a far sharper dip cutoff on dip than filament lamps which means zero dazzle when adjusted correctly and to date, none of my cars have been flashed when on dip or failed the MOT.

Yes they are illegal to the letter of the law but I consider safety of greater concern.

BTW, forget energy saving as coasting for a few yards during a sixty mile run would probably save more! :LOL:

Reactions: HandyAndy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts