Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a (soon to be ex) Mazda3 owner, I still have a foot in what Mazda are up to and I came across this today. The report says that from 2019 they plan to launch an EV that will have a Rex that will utilise the Wankel Rotary, quiet an interesting development given the form factor they are suggesting. Mazda tend to take interesting curveball positions to the rest of the auto industry (for example their current engines eschew turbos for high compression naturally aspirated larger engines that tend to be more economical).

A rex in the form factor of the Mazda3 (so Ionic/Leaf sized) would be a welcome addition to the drive for choice in the market place.

2019 Mazda EV to have rotary range extender - report | CarAdvice

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Interesting up until they start spouting the same tired old FUD about EVs being coal powered.
I wonder if its too late. If they come up with say a 15kWh battery on the grounds that people only drive 35 miles a day, that might have been a selling proposition five years ago.
In 2019 when 200 mile range EVs are becoming commonplace or at least much more affordable, fewer people will want a Rex.
OTOH say a 40-50kWh battery giving an easy 100 in all weathers, and a Rex,cheaper than an i3 (not difficult) that would be interesting. Maybe all the Ampera drivers and more will jump on that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts