Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just popped to Meadowhall Sheffield today to find out you now have to pay so thats a shame.

Seem to be run by VendElectric but I was too annoyed to take notice.

Is this the start of end of free courtesy charging?

Just thought you would all like to know.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,811 Posts
Yes, especially given the recent price rises. Still some councils in Scotland offering free charging but not for mich longer I suspect.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Bloodyhell have been charging there since Feb no notices saying it was going to change
Just looked on Zap map and some indeed or pay to use but others are still free very strange

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
780 Posts
Inevitable trend I reckon. These kind of chargers started out as incentive chargers. Come to our place and get a free top up. But as more people switch, and more destinations have such facilities, meaning that the differentiator of having them no longer applies, and as the cost of the electricity keeps on rising, then you can perhaps see the logic of starting to charge for them.

30p seems steep for a destination charger. But we are not too far away from that being a typical domestic tariff.

Being selfish, I am hoping that fuel continues to rise just as fast. Otherwise running an EV will soon lose much of the running cost advantages. We are already at the point where rapid charging costs are broadly equivalent per mile to petrol. And that will only stall the uptake of EVs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Be EV chargers in Manchester's Trafford Centre just got switched over to the same city wide tariff that applies from Oct 1. It is indeed the end times.

Reactions: methley

·
Registered
733 Posts
Inevitable trend I reckon. These kind of chargers started out as incentive chargers. Come to our place and get a free top up. But as more people switch, and more destinations have such facilities, meaning that the differentiator of having them no longer applies, and as the cost of the electricity keeps on rising, then you can perhaps see the logic of starting to charge for them.

30p seems steep for a destination charger. But we are not too far away from that being a typical domestic tariff.

Being selfish, I am hoping that fuel continues to rise just as fast. Otherwise running an EV will soon lose much of the running cost advantages. We are already at the point where rapid charging costs are broadly equivalent per mile to petrol. And that will only stall the uptake of EVs.
Not helped by 2 cars turning up at meadowhall one put on charge other takes the owner away so its on charge all day for free, I have seen this a couple of times and at other places

1 - 11 of 11 Posts