Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to work out where is best to have the home charger installed when it is arranged and was wondering if any e-tron owners are able to provide the following measurements for me at all please.

A - charging point to rear of car.
B - edge of rear wheel to rear of car
C - charging point to front of car.
D - edge of front wheel to front of car.

My driveway is at the front of the house with a flowerbed between house and drive, but Im hoping the depending on the measurements I can have the charging point put slightly down the side path on wall of house rather than on the front of the house.

Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
It might be easier to ask your installer for a longer cable and have the charger placed in a more convenient location.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gee - unfortunately, I cant move the house to have a more convenient location :D ;) The reason for the measurements is to ensure I order the right tethered length - but I am hoping to get away with the cheaper one out of the two rather than an extra £150. I'll pop back to the showroom and take some measurements but feel guilty because they arent the ones I am getting the car through LOL :D

·
Registered
196 Posts

A = 3545mm
B = 678mm
C = 1367mm
D = 553mm

I've simply used the measured drawing in a brochure and scaled to the right level. I've then used the measure tool in Adobe Acrobat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Much appreciated.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
842 Posts
The charging door position is really convenient for roadside chargers, but absolutely sucks at most rapids I've been to.

Have you ordered a tethered or untethered charger?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Evening Witchfinder,

I am waiting for Audi to arrange the pod point, but from what I gather if I choose to upgrade I just pay the difference between the solo and the tethered if thats what I decide to go for. The lady at Audi says I have to wait to get a VIN/Chassis number before they arrange the pod point and as my delivery is mid to end January they are hoping they will get it in time for the offer (yet I will argue this as the offer says order the car before 31 December, no small print re delivery before 31 Dec).

I am actually in two minds at the moment. Firstly, I dont want to have to keep going into the froot / frunk or whatever you want to call it to get the cable out so planning to go for tethered and then only need to get cables out when out and about anyway (also dont want to get in habit of leaving them in the boot as will have dogs in the back most of the time).

On the other hand though if I go tethered and then change the car in a few years time, does that mean a cable change then too, although from what I gather Audi use the more common standard connection type so hopefully if I changed model, it would have similar.

Due to the measurements, its now looking more likely to be the tethered as thats a longer cable anyway.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My Audi provided Pod Point is going to be a tethered unit at no cost to me.

Reactions: Bhuna50

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am confused by your explanation to why you need this measurements.....After getting a car costing £60K+ you are worried that "perhaps" you need to spend another £150 quid for a cable that will make your life easier?
My Dad used to say: "If you can't afford it, you don't deserve it"......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can afford the car that costs £65k because I look after the £150's, As the saying goes - "look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves".

·
Registered
81 Posts
Point well made!! For the effort of making some measurements why not save yourself £150. Shorter cable will also be less cumbersome

·
842 Posts
@Bhuna50 - your experience is very similar to mine. I opted to spend the extra on an untethered unit and 10m cable for the additional flexibility.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my install as the survey revealed my house is on a looped supply. It's going to be another 10 weeks before Electricity North West get round to doing the work. I'm currently relying on public charging, which has been okay so far, but I'm not sure I would want to do it long term.

·
842 Posts
@The Witchfinder could you use the 13A socket granny in the meantime?
I could, but who wants to do that? I've used it a little. However, I've been getting free charging near my office and at the newly installed GMEV rapid at Oldham Civic Centre. The granny charger is for emergencies at the moment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Bhuna50 - your experience is very similar to mine. I opted to spend the extra on an untethered unit and 10m cable for the additional flexibility.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my install as the survey revealed my house is on a looped supply. It's going to be another 10 weeks before Electricity North West get round to doing the work. I'm currently relying on public charging, which has been okay so far, but I'm not sure I would want to do it long term.
Did Audi arrange your installation shortly after the order or nearer the delivery date of your car? I'm thinking I should chase because then if things are going to take 10 weeks, at least I would still get it installed before the car is delivered or certainly shortly after.

·
Registered
196 Posts
PodPoint got in touch with me directly on the 26th August which was about 4 months after my initial order and 2 months before my car was initially due. You need to wait for Audi to pass the relevant information to PodPoint as it is them that cover the difference in installation cost you'd normally be liable for.

The email from PodPoint says "I hope you are well, just a quick email to confirm that we have received a home charger order your Audi e-tron.

A 7kW charge point has been included in your vehicle purchase, (assuming that we can gain the OLEV grant on your behalf and that your installation falls within the standard terms which can be found here: General Terms and Conditions | Pod Point). You may choose between the tethered or the universal charge point, this is completely personal preference. Please note that the Universal is not supplied with a charging cable."

Hope that helps.

Also, i've been on the PodPoint website this morning and it confirms;

"Tethered Charger

Has a cable attached (Type 1 - 4.8m or Type 2 - 7.5m)"

I don't know if the 7.5m cable included with the Tethered installation makes any difference when doing your measurements!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gee - thanks - it concerns me though that the Audi dealer said to me that they have to wait for the chassis number and hopefully it would come through before the offer expired. I will wait until end of November/ early December before I start asking more of the dealer anyway - Im just extremely impatient when it comes to new things lol.

Just to got to arrange to try to extend my current Volvo V90CC car now otherwise will have a gap of a couple of months with no main car and using the wifes 51 plate Clio LOL.

Re the measurements, luckily the measurements come in at around the 7m mark on where the charge point is likely to be so I think tethered is the option.

Cheers

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
504 Posts
Personally although I like the idea of a tethered cable for convenience sake I didn't like the idea of having a visible cable hanging at the front of the house permanently. I do regret not getting a longer cable though, I wind up having to turn the car around to reach the port, depending on exactly where I park on the drive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fortunately, thats the reason for the measurements as well, I can arrange for this to just be on the side of the house at the very front corner and it will just reach so it wont be so visible on the front of the house now.

For those with a tethered pod point, does it come as a nice retractable winded cord (like a hosepipe reel) or is it just attached and you have to wind it around manually ?

·
842 Posts
Audi sent me a link to the PodPoint website with the basket already populated, and a credit applied. Once paid, you have to go through the OLEV application process which does require the VIN. As long as your order is confirmed though and you've paid a deposit, there's no reason not to be able to get the ball rolling.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts