Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered why my IONIQ stopped charging early last night. 馃檲

Anyone know why this might have happened last night, it鈥檚 been working fine for 6 months.....admittedly not every day......the unit is a 2013/14 one which was installed as a 32A type Jxxxx tethered but only used as 16A until the tethered lead was changed to type 2 for my new IONIQ in Jan.

And where can I get another box?
thanks
UK

Registered
I suspect the connector strip in the box is not rated for 32 amp. live terminal has over-heated, probably due to terminal resistance,, which is normally caused by failing to torque the screw correctly.
I would get a certified electrician to sort that out. Toolstation and Screwfix sell IP65 rated boxes.

Registered
Ouch. Looks like another case of poor connection or loose screw. A slightly high resistance results in heating of the wire, which then increases the resistance which results in further heating....etc etc.
Did the breaker trip, or did the wire part company from the terminal by itself to break the circuit?

Registered
I'm puzzled why there needs to be an additional junction box which just has a (decidedly under-rated looking) terminal block in it in the first place ? Did the original installer cut the cable too short and have to join it ? :rolleyes:

The most reliable part is the part which isn't there...

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect the connector strip in the box is not rated for 32 amp. live terminal has over-heated, probably due to terminal resistance,, which is normally caused by failing to torque the screw correctly.
I would get a certified electrician to sort that out. Toolstation and Screwfix sell IP65 rated boxes.
Just realised it was Jan 2013 installed......so the screw lasted a while. Different standards back then?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch. Looks like another case of poor connection or loose screw. A slightly high resistance results in heating of the wire, which then increases the resistance which results in further heating....etc etc.
Did the breaker trip, or did the wire part company from the terminal by itself to break the circuit?
Nothing tripped back at the consumer unit.......just pleased it was outside and not in a garage with 鈥榯hings鈥 piled up against it.

Registered
I suspect the connector strip in the box is not rated for 32 amp.
If you zoom in on the picture the box claims 4.0mm虏.
But I'd rather see two screws per terminal on that sort of application.

Just realised it was Jan 2013 installed......so the screw lasted a while.
With these sort of continuous loads it's worth checking tightness every few years. The repeated heat cycling may cause them to slacken, especially if not properly tightened at installation.

Different standards back then?
I believe electricians are supposed to use torque screwdrivers for this work now. Don't know when that came in.

Registered
Wondered why my IONIQ stopped charging early last night. 馃檲 View attachment 134372 View attachment 134373

Anyone know why this might have happened last night, it鈥檚 been working fine for 6 months.....admittedly not every day......the unit is a 2013/14 one which was installed as a 32A type Jxxxx tethered but only used as 16A until the tethered lead was changed to type 2 for my new IONIQ in Jan.

thanks
UK
This kind of screwed connector is not fit for purpose. The screw end can easily just push the copper strands apart and only clamp one or two.

Registered
Ioniq
We have a similar arrangement installed in 2017 but the connection in the little box is crimped rather than using a terminal block. IIRC the Polar / Chargemaster charger comes with short tails attached, I guess so it doesn't need to be opened up during installation.

Registered

Looks nicer than the red and yellow emergency isolators, and you can then also turn it off easily when you are not using it.

If you also use this kit, it makes the cable ends off better for the connectors:

Registered
I'm puzzled why there needs to be an additional junction box which just has a (decidedly under-rated looking) terminal block in it in the first place ? Did the original installer cut the cable too short and have to join it ? :rolleyes:

The most reliable part is the part which isn't there...
I was thinking the very same thing !.
Why did the installer not run the SWA straight into the underside of the wall box and terminate inside ?.
Any connection has to be the weakest part of any circuit surely.
Is there any evidence that the box ( although it is IP65 rated ) has taken in any water ?.
Would it be possible to pull back the SWA into the garage and install a better quality enclosure inside, then run a new small length of SWA back out to the wall box ?.
At least the connection box would be out of the weather ?.
You even lift the wall box a bit higher, it looks a little low on your picture.
Does the cable come down the wall on the inside of the garage ?.
If so, could you not relocate the wall box and bring the SWA direct in through a rear entry gland on the back of the box ?.
Ideally, I would try to either loose that connection box or install a better quality unit on the inside if possible.
Just saying !.

Super Moderator
Yes these polar/chargemaster units come with a small tail so you don't have to open the unit during install, here's mine:

I'm in a similar position, it's a 30A unit installed in 2014, but only used at 16A with my Leaf. e-Niro will arrive imminently so I can use that at 30A, I will make sure all connections are tight before plugging it in now....!

Registered
Yes these polar/chargemaster units come with a small tail so you don't have to open the unit during install, here's mine:
View attachment 134390

I'm in a similar position, it's a 30A unit installed in 2014, but only used at 16A with my Leaf. e-Niro will arrive imminently so I can use that at 30A, I will make sure all connections are tight before plugging it in now....!

Personally i'd open that box up and redo all the connections properly as going from 16a to 32a as above has shown they possibly were never designed from it and things have changed a lot in recent years.

If possible even drop the unit down the wall or move it over so that the short tail is binned and you are crimped directly into the unit. Every connection is a possible source of failure after all.

Registered
Ioniq
Having just looked at ours the cables are crimped together and installed in enormous terminal blocks using both screws. Were the "official" installation procedures greatly improved between 2013 and 2017, or was @BeefyJ's charger installed by a cowboy?

Registered
Wondered why my IONIQ stopped charging early last night. 馃檲 View attachment 134372 View attachment 134373

thanks
UK
Beefy, are you sure the wires supplying that box are up to supplying 32 Amps? I'd say they look like 4 mm sq, which is not really good enough.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts