Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone else had a melting Junction box ?

(Ignore the big crack - it was done by a Chargemaster technician to see how bad it was melted. He kindly came out today to make sure we were safe)

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
Why is there a junction box at all? Makes no sense unless they cut the cable length wrong originally. British Gas installation perhaps?

I have a 23 m run w/o a junction box and would not have let them fit one if they had tried! You dont need another set of potentially high resistance oxidisation points. Are they going to fit a new cable run full length?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks like the connectors within the box were not tightened down enough so the trapped wires were only just connected which would produce heat = melting - BlackLeaf is correct you do not need a joint box unless someone screwed up the cable length - get on single continuous run from the fuse panel to the charger unit and you will be okay.

·
Registered
964 Posts
No reason you can't wire right into the charger itself I guess, if you wished... ;)

Whoever installed the OP's junction box just didn't do the job properly...
Just realised why dischargemaster don't do this.....
They don't want you to see how little there is in there or the quality of it which you might, as it would have to be opened if it were properly hard wired direcly as it should have been :D.
Another cosy C.M./OLEV fail, this time on safety as well as value!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Um. Not yet. I would be very concerned why it is melting - did the tech not say anything??
He was as concerned as we were, but did not open the box - he was not really supposed to be here, just came to make sure we were safe. The RCD had a big label over it so I thought it was not allowed to be opened. Turning off the only other switch killed all the house power, so at least I now now you can open the RCD box and isolate the charge unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why is there a junction box at all? Makes no sense unless they cut the cable length wrong originally. British Gas installation perhaps?

I have a 23 m run w/o a junction box and would not have let them fit one if they had tried! You dont need another set of potentially high resistance oxidisation points. Are they going to fit a new cable run full length?
Yes, British Gas did it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts