Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
Need some advice. I have a 2014 (64) ampera and as per my only other post I park it in an electric bay via the 3 pin plug cable (supplied by vauxhall) whilst I'm at work. This bay is never used and so i set the car up to charge based on departure time. The first time I charged the fuse surround melted and blew so I contacted the provider (chargmaster) and they sent an engineer to check who said no issues with the post. I charged again today and now one side of the plug has melted and I struggled to get it out!. Any one had this before? I'm sure I read something about an updated cable/similar issues but I can't find the thread. Any help would be great!! Thanks

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Stop using the 3-pin plug cable immediately!! There's clearly a fault with it and it's likely to catch fire if you keep using it!! :eek:
Seriously, immediately stop using it, phone My Ampera and get them to send you a new one...
Just to be clear, I assume it's the plug itself that's melted, not the charging post?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Wow ! Not good.....
Never had anything like that, but if it's overheating like that, presumably the socket you are plugging into is not right.
I'm not an electrician, but as the Ampera only draws 10 amps, the socket maybe isn't actually tested or rated for that level of current for 6 hours ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to be clear, I assume it's the plug itself that's melted, not the charging post?
Yes the plug.
I have contacted chargemaster and they are sending another engineer to check the post. This is the second evse cable ive had. Did I read that the 'newer' version has black cables?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow ! Not good.....
Never had anything like that, but if it's overheating like that, presumably the socket you are plugging into is not right.
I'm not an electrician, but as the Ampera only draws 10 amps, the socket maybe isn't actually tested or rated for that level of current for 6 hours ?
The unit is a chargemaster post with a 3pin and atype 2 (I think) connection. I would like to think that it can cope with charging for that time?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I seen 2 effects like this before in 8 years of EV use:
1. The live wire is loose in the terminal in the plug causing arcing and heating. This would only apply to a screw-on rather than moulded-on plug.
2. There's corrosion on the live receptacle (possibly due to lack of use) again causing heating in the plug.

A quality plug, appropriately fitted, should not have an issue carrying 10 Amps in a suitable socket outlet.

Any of a cheap plug, badly fitted, in a corroded socket outlet could have the problems described.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Yes the plug.
I have contacted chargemaster and they are sending another engineer to check the post. This is the second evse cable ive had. Did I read that the 'newer' version has black cables?
What happened to the first evse ?

·
BMW i3 Rex
216 Posts
There was a similar problem with some of the plugs on the EVSEs for the early Leaf. The cable was improperly clamped allowing strain on the fuse and twisting. Mine overheated, at least one other melted into the 13A socket. Replacement EVSEs were needed.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I had #1 above when using an old unchecked extension after modified house. Never had it with a proper cable

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
@JWG
The black cabled EVSE is a marked improvement to the original orange cabled one as the cable tends to pull out of the centre as mine did. It was replaced by Vauxhall under warranty for the new one which has been re-designed.
The problem was most likely to be caused by a weak contact pressure from the socket contacts.
Your EVSE can easily be checked by monitoring the plug temperature at home when charging.
As an electrician, I consider the 13A plug to be a far better design to the European or US versions which are much more flimsy but the weakest link is the socket contact pressure.
My home built EV has a 3.3kW Brusa charger that I generally use limited to 13A on a 13A socket without failure on a quality socket.

Reactions: JWG

·
Registered
964 Posts
Once the copper wire starts over heating where there is high resistance it oxidises causing ever higher resistance, vicious circle.

That is why EV copper motor conductor wires have to be nickle plated, the nickle stops oxidisation from starting helping prevent high resistance developing.

The same heating and oxidisation process happens in a fuse too and it melts (blows) to protect the plug in theory but not always!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
yup sounds like a dodgy connection in the plug. Dont risk a fire!
A fuse will melt above 13A, at 10A they will get hot but should not be that hot!

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
IMHO it is very unlikely to be the post. The current is determined by the EVSE and the car with a 3-pin EVSE like the one that came with the car. The post only supplies the power... the same as a 3-pin socket at home.

It sounds like it is bad plug wiring or a faulty EVSE.

These 3-pin EVSEs are prone to plug wiring issues. They can be badly wired or can develop bad connections by virtue of the fact that they have a short cable to the 3-pin plug and so are often left to dangle thereby putting strain on the plug connections.

I would stop using the EVSE and get it checked out by the dealer.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Excellent, I'm sure that'll sort it :)

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
From an electrical safety point of view, anyone with the orange lead EVSE should return it under warranty for the new version as the design allows the supply lead to pull out and allow water in as well as strain the connections.
Basically not fit for purpose and instantly fails an electrical safety inspection (PAT test).
The replacement is still very heavy to dangle from the socket but has a simpler and more sensible pair of slotted holes in the back to allow it to be supported on screws.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I'm just surprised you have a 64 plate car with an old charger unit - my 14 plate came with the black newer unit...

Reactions: Lee Dalton and Russ

·
Registered
330 Posts
My guess is a faulty evse. Thus isn't a dumb load where increased resistance (e.g. loose connection) will result in increased current and therefore heat - the evse should limit the current to 10A whatever...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts