Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, am a newbie and looking at the options available for charging when I collect my Zoe next week. I copied and pasted the above, and wondered if it rally can be cancelled at any time as the BP Pulse website is offering the first 3 months subscription for free?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
It's easy to cancel, and you will.

Pulse (known until recently as Polar, and even a rebrand can't clean off that stink) are pretty rubbish as charging networks go. They have a lot of old, legacy chargers and a lot of the time they only have one charger per location. This means that if that charger is already in use or broken you'll be inconvenienced having to find a different charger in the area. They also tend to be in bizarre locations like around the back of Holiday Inns. You can spend a good 5 minutes each time driving around ginormous car parks trying to find them. Oh, and often there are ANPR fines for using the chargers in those locations if you don't remember to register your car's number plate at reception.

Other than all that they're great :ROFLMAO:

If you happen to know of a Pulse charger that is convenient for you on a regular journey you make at least a couple of times a month, then it might be worth thinking about the subscription. Otherwise, avoid, pay a bit extra for your per kWh charge rate at a more reliable network like Instavolt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's easy to cancel, and you will.

Pulse (known until recently as Polar, and even a rebrand can't clean off that stink) are pretty rubbish as charging networks go. They have a lot of old, legacy chargers and a lot of the time they only have one charger per location. This means that if that charger is already in use or broken you'll be inconvenienced having to find a different charger in the area. They also tend to be in bizarre locations like around the back of Holiday Inns. You can spend a good 5 minutes each time driving around ginormous car parks trying to find them. Oh, and often there are ANPR fines for using the chargers in those locations if you don't remember to register your car's number plate at reception.

Other than all that they're great :ROFLMAO:

If you happen to know of a Pulse charger that is convenient for you on a regular journey you make at least a couple of times a month, then it might be worth thinking about the subscription. Otherwise, avoid, pay a bit extra for your per kWh charge rate at a more reliable network like Instavolt.
Thanks for your detailed reply. There is one at the Holiday Inn just two miles from me, and when I check the app it is usually not being used, if this is a subscription I can easily cancel then I will if I'm not happy with the service

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Do the sums first before you take out a subscription: using the app with no subscription, it's a maximum of 25p/kWh with a minimum charge of £1.20 (so at least 5kWh per session will cover it, so you can pretty much ignore that bit). With a subscription of £7.95 a month, it's 15p/kWh.

The equation is if you charge x kWh per month, then 7.95 + 0.15x = 0.25x for break even.
Or 0.10x = 7.95, so x = 79.5.

This means to make a subscription worth while, you need to take at least 80kWh per month from BP Pulse.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Thanks for your detailed reply. There is one at the Holiday Inn just two miles from me, and when I check the app it is usually not being used, if this is a subscription I can easily cancel then I will if I'm not happy with the service
Just make sure, if you're going to be using it regularly, that you remember to register your car's numberplate at the Holiday Inn reception every time you charge. It is very easy to absent-mindedly forget to do that, and then that charging session will cost you a lot of money due to the ANPR fine.

I reckon if I used Pulse at least twice a month for a year (any less and membership isn't worth it), on at least one of those 24 charging sessions I will forget to enter my number plate at reception, or typo my number plate, or something like that. So for me I would factor in at least 1x ANPR fine as part of the cost of using Pulse. Others may be less absent-minded than I am, but that's how I think about it.

·
Registered
Tesla M3 SR+
196 Posts
I take it then you have no off road parking and will have to rely on public chargers? For anyone with off road parking it will always be cheaper and more convenient to charge at home.
Enjoy your Zoe. It is a great choice.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GTLine CCS
167 Posts
I had no problems cancelling either.
Not sure if they still do it under the BP Pulse monicre, but as BP Plus you got a £1 per month discount for being an AA member.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I recently cancelled by logging in to the website and cancelled from there. Simple, quick and easy to do.

We've had our subscription for 6 years, but over the past 6 months or so, have rarely been able to get on to any of our local charge points, either because they're constantly fully occupied, broke, or simply won't recognise our RFID card.

I've hung on the phone for a number of times, and given up between 20 minutes and 35 minutes each time, without ever getting through to someone to help with the unrecognised points. So I voted with my wallet and cancelled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do the sums first before you take out a subscription: using the app with no subscription, it's a maximum of 25p/kWh with a minimum charge of £1.20 (so at least 5kWh per session will cover it, so you can pretty much ignore that bit). With a subscription of £7.95 a month, it's 15p/kWh.

The equation is if you charge x kWh per month, then 7.95 + 0.15x = 0.25x for break even.
Or 0.10x = 7.95, so x = 79.5.

This means to make a subscription worth while, you need to take at least 80kWh per month from BP Pulse.
Thanks for the calculation Jeff, I was under the impression that the £7.95 covered free charging, so every month is only choosing me 8 quid to charge my car?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just make sure, if you're going to be using it regularly, that you remember to register your car's numberplate at the Holiday Inn reception every time you charge. It is very easy to absent-mindedly forget to do that, and then that charging session will cost you a lot of money due to the ANPR fine.

I reckon if I used Pulse at least twice a month for a year (any less and membership isn't worth it), on at least one of those 24 charging sessions I will forget to enter my number plate at reception, or typo my number plate, or something like that. So for me I would factor in at least 1x ANPR fine as part of the cost of using Pulse. Others may be less absent-minded than I am, but that's how I think about it.
Good point, I noticed when I drive into Holiday Inn the other day to spy out their charging point that there was the ANPR sign there, so I'm hoping I won't forget to sign in at reception!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts