Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

I keep getting a warning notification that my memory stick's write speed is insufficient for the dashcam/sentry mode. This is the one that I have:

It's a Samsung memory stick that has a write speed of over 50MBs and the warning notification recommends 3MBs so there's no way that it's not fast enough. Funnily enough, despite this warning message it records just fine. Sometimes it can be a little choppy and there are parts where it jumps (or completely missing) but I put this down to just the software being buggy as it has always been. Perhaps it's the memory stick after all?

Just wondering if anyone else is getting this error message on their Model 3. Also, what memory sticks or SSDs are you guys using and would recommend. I might consider changing if there's a good and cheap alternative. Cheers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rob.

I assume using what you suggested has resolved the issue and you no longer get those warning messages?

I was also looking at getting a Samsung solid state drive (T7 - link below), which should definitely resolve the issue but I don't think I can justify the high price lol

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
theres an issue with counterfeit sticks being both knowingly and unknowingly sold through third party sellers on amazon, that might be the issue here and your stick might not be upto spec.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
You need a video grade memory card which is logical when you think about it, USB thumb drives aren't up to the job however fast they are. You also need to be aware they can;t be written to indefinetley, its the same issue as the eMMC memory issue on some of the older cars where the memory wears out.

Sandisk make good memory cards that just need an adaptor eg https://amzn.to/3bBIU53 which is only £25 at the moment. The other option if you want big is a SSD drive like the Samsung T7 drive

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks Rob.

I assume using what you suggested has resolved the issue and you no longer get those warning messages?
I found out after trying to help tesla with the sentry mode video issues ( that other thread ). They wanted to eliminate the card as the problem and asked me to try another memory card. And so i tried an old memory stick. It was this old one that had the write speed problem the same as you. The sandisk one has been fine since I bought the car in march.

The ssd drive seems a bit overkill. But why not :D Maybe get the 500gb one as a compromise.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I think the SSD drive comes into its own if you're also stroring a large collection of music locally rather than using spotify or your phone. You can split it into two partions, one for music and one for sentry/dash.

The other advantage of a large drive is if you get thousands of false sentry alarms because you parked near a bush and its windy - you have somewhere to store them all :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the valuable input guys. I read everyone's comments and decided to go with Jon G's advice and bought the Samsung SSD. It is a bit overkill but I wanted to future proof my purchase as it may not be exclusively used for my Tesla. The good news is that it's Prime Day today so it's on sale! Woo

·
Registered
40 Posts
theres an issue with counterfeit sticks being both knowingly and unknowingly sold through third party sellers on amazon, that might be the issue here and your stick might not be upto spec.
I'd go with this, my wife has bought a few memory cards from amazon resellers that have turned out to be fake.

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
178 Posts
I had this after about 6 months with a memory stick. Basically the constant rewriting knackers it (there's lots of you tube videos about it). You either need something more robust or just renew every time. I get a SanDisk ultra something or other that wasn't a big memory size as I tend to delete them regularly, so was quite cheap. I don't see the point of buying an expensive SSD as it's big and obvious and probably the first thing they'll nick. A small usb stick probably won't get noticed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts