Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mennekes Type 2 to Type 2 (Mode 3) 32A 3-phase 7.5m straight cable (no. 36130) that came new from MB Temple Fortune when I bought a used approved B250e (2016 MY) in late 2018.

I find that it is too long for my needs and I'm looking to swap mine for a Mennekes coiled version between 4 & 5m with the same specs. When I had a C350e estate the car came with a 4m coiled mennekes type 2 cable - that would be perfect for me but it was returned when I traded in the car in 2018 for my B250e.

Central London location and my cable is in as new condition.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
The coiled lead you had before would have been single phase, so not ideal for a B250e. As you know, that car only charge 3.3kW on single phase, so best on 3 phase 22kW posts where it will charge at 11kW. They are getting more common, although I was disappointed Podpoint are only fitting 7kW in Tesco stores.

We have a straight 3 Phase Mennekes cable that is 5M long that was supplied with our Model 3 and need longer at the mother-in-law house. For now we have put Zoe cable in Model 3.

It was only used once to test and is like new, PM me if you if are interested.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks proddick, annoyingly I'm reliant on on-street public chargers twice weekly so cost is a factor. If I'm charging from empty to get 33kWh overnight, my nearest 7kW Polar (Plus) and Ubitricity (PAYG) chargers are much cheaper at £4.94 and £7.92 a charge respectively. The nearest Source 22kW (Flexi) charger is a longer walk away and costs £10.62 for a full charge and I can't leave it overnight as they charge per minute!

I do appreciate they take just under 3hrs versus slower overnight charging for 9+hours on my B250e. No one seems to use the 22kW Source chargers so they are always available. The Polar chargers are always full given their VFM and the Ubitricity chargers often ICE-d as they are by resident bays. So £10.62 on a 22kW charger to get me 40 miles in <5 deg weather feels rather steep! I do get 100mi range in the summer if I drive out of central London.

My best bet may actually be CablesForCharging.com as they do coiled 3-phase cables, I'm just concerned the quality (Made in China) is not the same as Mennekes which I assume is German made.

Thanks for the offer though, I don't think I want a straight cable as it gets rather dirty sitting on rainy pavements. Wiping down my cable after several charges is starting to feel a little OCD!

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
I hadn't realised that SL don't offer the overnight cap on 22kW points! Glad I found out now and not after charging the Zoe on one when staying at a hotel. I have used a 7kW in similar circumstances when I had Ampera as the cap meant it was cheaper than hotel parking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes SL doesn't have an overnight cap on 22kW points, it does on 7kW points.

I forgot to add the central London charge so a 40-50mi add in winter is more like £13+!

Will probably only use SL's 22kW points for an emergency day charge.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
I have now sold my short cable so if you decide to sell your longer one let me know what you want for it. I come up to London fairly often so could collect and pay cash :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just received the 5m coiled 3-phase charging cable from cablesforcharging.com today. Will try it out for a bit before selling my 8m straight 3-phase Mennekes cable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The new cable from cablesforcharging.com isn't working great - on Chargemaster and ubitricity charge points the cable doesn't seem to be able to let my 'Mercedes me' app know when the charging will end. As a results it just keeps saying charging, hours after the battery says it is at 100%. Rather annoying as my Mennekes cable didn't have that problem, it would disconnect once the charge was at 100%. Hope the new cable isn't damaging the BMS.

Long story short - I'll be keeping my Mennekes cable for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts