Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about my podpoint solo charger. I have changed the dip switches to allow charging up to 7kW. However the current drawn remains unchanged ie. 16A (3.6kW). Any help would be great

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
732 Posts
You need 3 phase electric supply to charge faster on the B class or I think a few people have found some way to modify the single phase system but not sure how safe it is...

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,952 Posts
You need 3 phase electric supply to charge faster on the B class or I think a few people have found some way to modify the single phase system but not sure how safe it is...
Exactly. People are applying the single phase Live to the L1 and L2 lines, but it puts a higher than rated current through the cars Neutral wiring. This is easier to do if you have a three phase lead that you can change the wiring of rather than changing your charge point wiring, but don't lend the lead out.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,952 Posts
Tethered or untethered?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,952 Posts
That's the hardest point to start from. You could buy a replacement 22kW 3 phase lead and wire it in the way that you need to, but it would render the unit unusable and dangerous for any other cars. You would also not be able to take the capability with you for public charging on single phase posts.
Overall I'd recommend against it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts