Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's taken me a considerable amount of time to find a few technical details like the chargers so I might just as well share my hard work with you guys! Feel free to reply below if anythings missing or incorrect and I'll correct it.

Main specs, model 2015:

Battery: 28kWh claimed, seems to be 36kWh in reality
Granny cable: 13A, included with most versions
AC charging: Type 2 3.7kW (single phase 16A) or 11kW (three phase 16A), NO 7kW/32A charging
DC charging: none
Charging remote control: yes, using Connect Me website
Drive: Front wheels
Regeneration: off/some/lots with flaps behind steering wheel, optional auto mode with radar
Acoustic presence indicator: optional
Seats: 5
Outside dimensions (L/W/H) in mm: 4358/1812/1599
Boot space: 1,456 liter with back seats folded down, 501 without

Performance:

Power: 179hp, 132kW (Tesla engine, power restricted)
Range: 124 mile NEDC, 142 mile with optional Range Plus package
Acceleration: 0-62mph 7.9s
Top speed: 99.5mph

Climate control:

Air-conditioning: yes, split left/right controls
Heating type: unknown, heat pump???
Heated front screen: optional
Heated front seats: optional
Heated steering wheel: none???
Timer: yes
Remote control: yes, using Connect Me website

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's taken me a considerable amount of time to find a few technical details like the chargers so I might just as well share my hard work with you guys! Feel free to reply below if anythings missing or incorrect and I'll correct it.

Main specs, model 2015:

Battery: 28kWh claimed, seems to be 36kWh in reality
Granny cable: 13A, included with most versions
AC charging: Type 2 3.7kW (single phase 16A) or 11kW (three phase 16A), NO 7kW/32A charging
DC charging: none
Charging remote control: yes, using Connect Me website
Drive: Front wheels
Regeneration: off/some/lots with flaps behind steering wheel, optional auto mode with radar
Acoustic presence indicator: optional
Seats: 5
Outside dimensions (L/W/H) in mm: 4358/1812/1599
Boot space: 1,456 liter with back seats folded down, 501 without

Performance:

Power: 179hp, 132kW (Tesla engine, power restricted)
Range: 124 mile NEDC, 142 mile with optional Range Plus package
Acceleration: 0-62mph 7.9s
Top speed: 99.5mph

Climate control:

Air-conditioning: yes, split left/right controls
Heating type: unknown, heat pump???
Heated front screen: optional
Heated front seats: optional
Heated steering wheel: none???
Timer: yes
Remote control: yes, using Connect Me website
I took delivery of my b250 on 01.02.16 but am very disappointed and in ongoing dispute with the dealership with regard to mileage. I naively thought it would do 124 miles but the highest overnight charge I have achieved is 72! The dealer tells me it is the way I drive that's the problem! Any views on this? Cheers.

·
Registered
942 Posts
The NEDC range of 124 miles would never be real world and a basic internet search would have told you that, it's a guide just like MPG figures.
But if you drive like Miss Daisy you will probably beat that figure ☺
Also it is estimating range based on recent driving style, it doesnt mean you won't get much more than it's estimate - they are generally very pessimistic.

How's the car apart from that ? I quite fancy one, any rapid charge capability ?

I took delivery of my b250 on 01.02.16 but am very disappointed and in ongoing dispute with the dealership with regard to mileage. I naively thought it would do 124 miles but the highest overnight charge I have achieved is 72! The dealer tells me it is the way I drive that's the problem! Any views on this? Cheers.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Lovely looking car. If you drive it like a 'normal' car then 72 miles probably isn't far off.
However if you steer clear of dual carriageways and have a very light right foot, then 100+ miles should be doable.
Best to remember that you won't achieve that in the winter or rain/wind, as that massively effects the range. :(

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I naively thought it would do 124 miles but the highest overnight charge I have achieved is 72! The dealer tells me it is the way I drive that's the problem! Any views on this? Cheers.
I think this can be done - but apart from the Lee's suggestions (no winter/rain) you probably need to drive 30mph max on flat roads to achieve this… Speed seems to be a bigger problem for the range than, for example, heating! And using the Range Plus option (if fitted) will probably help quite a bit. Not that I've used that function yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can I assume from your reply that you own a b250 electric? if so can you tell me what is the most mileage you've had 'indicated' after a full charge of your battery. The Range Plus is another 'mis-seller' since the manual tells you that if this is used too much it reduces the lifetime of the battery!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I do own a B250e and drive it every day. Indicated mileage after a 100% varies wildly from day to day, can't remember ever seeing more than 100 miles. But I tend to drive only short distances (10 mile average) and use Sport mode a lot and the computer will take that into account... Keeping the speed well below 60 and if possible at 30 mph seems to be the most important trick to hyper-mile, more than anything else (no breaking even while cornering, accelerate very slowly, use D+ instead of D-auto, only use D- when something unexpected happens like a traffic light going red)...

The range plus option should be standard (it was on my car) but I think it's a good idea from Mercedes to not let you charge the car up to 100% every time - which shortens the battery life considerably.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I do own a B250e and drive it every day. Indicated mileage after a 100% varies wildly from day to day, can't remember ever seeing more than 100 miles. But I tend to drive only short distances (10 mile average) and use Sport mode a lot and the computer will take that into account... Keeping the speed well below 60 and if possible at 30 mph seems to be the most important trick to hyper-mile, more than anything else (no breaking even while cornering, accelerate very slowly, use D+ instead of D-auto, only use D- when something unexpected happens like a traffic light going red)...

The range plus option should be standard (it was on my car) but I think it's a good idea from Mercedes to not let you charge the car up to 100% every time - which shortens the battery life considerably.
Thanks for that. As I said earlier I was prob naive to believe the salesman telling me it would do 124 miles per charge. My expectation was that after an overnight charge it would consistently show a milage range of 124 and then depending on your driving this would decrease accordingly but not so.
Also I've been told to always reset/trip the mileage, is this something you are familiar with?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also I've been told to always reset/trip the mileage, is this something you are familiar with?
Don't see why I would want to do that every trip - the car keeps two numbers anyway, "since last reset" and "this trip" or something like that...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't see why I would want to do that every trip - the car keeps two numbers anyway, "since last reset" and "this trip" or something like that...
My unhelpful aftersales person told me that this would reset the travel history and improve the mileage!!!
Between you and me the mileage available is suffice for normal use but it annoys me that MB are selling a car on the strength that it will do 124 miles when it definitely does not (unless you train on a simulator for a very long time before driving the car any distance!).

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fully agree - but that's not Mercedes specific, every manufacturer in Europe quotes NEDC based figures.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I suspect that what explains some of the anomalies in this car is that it is a mesh of Mercedes and then left over from the Tesla parts bin.

The 11kW charger is a very Tesla thing and I wouldn't be surprised if the battery is half a Model 60 or some such.

This would also explain the lack of rapid charging as Tesla don't "do" ChaDemo or CCS

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
After 4 years of driving the Ampera I believe I know how to drive an EV efficiently ;)

Now it is warmer I am confident I could do 100 miles in MB with range plus. Maybe 120 if I knew reliable charging at destination. Most of our trips in the MB are less though and we tend to opportunity charge. The GOM is pessimistic and I tend to go more with % capacity.

I agree keeping speed down is key and as a compromise tend to set cruise at 66 mph on motorway - does not increase journey time much but uses less energy.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Ignoring efficiency for a minute, the original post says "Tesla engine, restricted".
Am I the only one wondering how hard it would be to lose the restrictions and what the results would be?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't know how hard it will be, but you'll wear out the battery a lot quicker. Smallest model S has twice the batteries, so it's no coincidence it's also can get twice the power out if it.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Don't know how hard it will be, but you'll wear out the battery a lot quicker. Smallest model S has twice the batteries, so it's no coincidence it's also can get twice the power out if it.
I would say you would only use the battery more quickly if you were using more power. This is the thing with ev's - having more available doesn't make it use more unless you get the foot down so it gives you options.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Every single time you would use full power (even if only for say 10 seconds) would strain the batteries, and if you don't use that what's the point of removing the limiter?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Every single time you would use full power (even if only for say 10 seconds) would strain the batteries, and if you don't use that what's the point of removing the limiter?
Of course you would use it from time to time but that's the same with any car. It's not something you're going to be constantly doing - the vast majority of the time the standard power isn't all used anyway.
I just like the idea of an ev hot hatch. Lets presume it went from 180hp to 250hp. All that means is there's more available for the few times when it is wanted. It's nice to have and if I'm honest I hate it when makers hold things back for the sake of it - presumably in this case for marketing so it doesn't jump up and down all over their ice engine'd B class by too much.

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
doesn't jump up and down all over their ice engine'd B class by too much.
AFAIK it is already the fastest B Class to 60 mph - there is a lot of torque in performance mode. Most reviews also concur it is far nicer to drive than any ICE B Class. Have you driven one?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
AFAIK it is already the fastest B Class to 60 mph - there is a lot of torque in performance mode. Most reviews also concur it is far nicer to drive than any ICE B Class. Have you driven one?
I drove one briefly - about 20 minutes. I haven't driven other B classes to compare it to but I did quite like it. I have to assume it's nicer to drive than the ice ones since almost all ev's are nicer than their ice counterparts. I especially like how Mercedes have got their mojo back on their interiors. Fit, finish and quality were all excellent which 10ish years ago wasn't always the case. For me it would need a rex or a larger battery to make sense at the moment because the claim of 140+ miles is simply misleading but depending how things go at work that may well change over the next 6 months. It's certainly one of my favourite ev's so far though - quite a cut above most for quality.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts