Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Also, as Aragorn says, preheating only heats the cabin, so you get into somewhere warm, but the battery is not warm.
On a 3.6kW charger there is toot all energy being wasted as heat from the battery but an 11kW charge immediately prior to setting off seems to improve the initial winter burn.

Not very convenient though if you don't have 3-phase at home.

Would have been an epic EV with RWD or AWD and an extra 10kWh or so of battery - front wheels can't handle the beef in the damp and there's room under the boot floor for a few more cells!

·
Registered
849 Posts
On a 3.6kW charger there is toot all energy being wasted as heat from the battery but an 11kW charge immediately prior to setting off seems to improve the initial winter burn.

Not very convenient though if you don't have 3-phase at home.

Would have been an epic EV with RWD or AWD and an extra 10kWh or so of battery - front wheels can't handle the beef in the damp and there's room under the boot floor for a few more cells!
Completely agree with the power. I have wheel spun this car more than all of the cars I have had in my life put together. The traction under acceleration is dreadful. I don't think that the Conti's which came with the car help either.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The traction under acceleration is dreadful. I don't think that the Conti's which came with the car help either.
The Michelins aren't great on mine so I suspect it's physics rather than gash tyres at play, though I might try GY Efficient Grips, or Uniroyal Rainsport (which I expect will be a big boost in the wet at the expense of getting less than 10k miles a set) in the next couple of months as the Michelins are at 4mm on the front at 12k miles.

It is a satisfying car on the motorway though - linear acceleration right up to 100mph...

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
the michelins on mine are awful for traction in the wet, not just streight line but cornering as well. They also wore incredibly quickly, and i ended up rotating them front to rear at 9k (which is something i never do) as the fronts were wearing so quickly they were going to be done before 15k. I hoped to do the lease and return the car without having to fit a set of tyres to it. I'll need to check the tread depths and see how its fairing now its upto 17k

·
Registered
15 Posts
How cold are we talking? I've had mine since the beginning of April and have averaged 3.2 over the last 4k miles. Am I going to be in for a shock?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

The car is for my in laws and it will be garaged so hopefully the pack won’t chill down as much as being outside.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yes.

If you average 2.5 in winter (<5ºC) you'll be doing pretty well.
Yes, 3.2 is typically what we have got over this period (April-August), for most other EVs, owners would think that this is terrible.

Those pesky Hyundai Ioniq owners are getting 5-6 miles per kWh: Love this warm weather....

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Of course 3.2 displayed is roughly 3.8 in the language of every other EV as Merc calculate the kWh taken from the wall rather than the traction battery.

Still not great compared to the Koreans.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts