Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a Mercedes E300DE saloon, with a battery range of 22 miles. This is not anywhere near the figure that has been officially announced, nor is it anywhere near Mercedes official WLTP figures... I thought the idea of WLTP figures was to prevent the massive exaggeration factor seemingly displayed by most (ALL) motor manufacturers. I've taken this issue to Mercedes and they suggest that 22 miles is doing really well.The dealership said that my driving style is the reason for the lack of range (even though previously they had said I was doing well at 22 miles full to empty battery, hmmm something fishy going on here me thinks,might be so bold as to suggest they are telling lies in order to make me go away, which I wont) so i suggest I might be clutching at straws but is there anyone else here who has an E300DE who would be prepared to tell me what electric only range they are getting.

It has blunted what has otherwise been a good experience (apart from the car rattling which can't be fixed apparently) but not sure if I would ever be a repeat Mercedes customer..

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,669 Posts
If you are using the battery for warming the car up then there you go.

WLTP does not include car heating 'cost'.

You will lose 2kWh heating the car up and then another one or two keeping it warm.

How many kWh do you have?

How many miles do you need to go?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Donald, thank you for the reply. I do not use the electric warm up feature UNLESS its still plugged into its wall box..... the battery capacity is listed as 17.5 Kw. I use the car for work and back. My bone of contention is that it SHOULD DO more than 30 miles electric only range and it doesnt..... BUT Mercedes and most of the press reports on the car say 31-42 miles range.Not to mention the bloody abysmal fuel economy which I mentioned in my other post.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
the battery capacity is listed as 17.5 Kw. I
13.5kWh and 34 mile range according to this press release:

The e-brochure says 13.5kWh and an all electric range of 29.8 to 27.9 miles WLTP. There is a disclaimer that they achieve this battery range using a combination of battery and fuel. In test conditions, It will go that far on the battery but only if you also use the diesel.

That's about 2.2 miles per kWh which is pretty terrible but not too surprising for a big heavy PHEV. The kerb weight is 2,140kg. For comparison an Outlander PHEV is 1,880kg. A BMW i3 is around 1,300kg.

With any EV winter range is going to be lower end of the range. You might get close to 30 miles on warm dry days.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Isn't this car just a bodge to get the low BIK rate? It's never going to get the range they claim, they don't really care. BMW do the same at the moment too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a test one for a couple of days, I nearly made it fully into work (28 miles mainly country a/b roads) on full electric. The diesel fired up a couple of times, but only for a few seconds. I'm usually a fairly economical driver.... Tips to maximise battery range is to be gentle with the throttle, lift off as early as you can, and watch what the heating / air cond is doing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts