Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
Another compliance vehicle, all be it I suspect a very good one that once again does not move the EV revolution on.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Just goes to show that there is a market for products that have no need for 'rapid' charging. Let's face it - a car that only has a rapid socket isn't going to sell - it's the Fast point that makes it useful. It's bad enough when my Twizy was struggling to find a 13a Chargepoint (thanks ASDA) but with Ecotricity's lamentable 'no T2' policy - perhaps they'll reconsider?

Well done Mercedes!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Just because a manufacturer builds a car without rapid charging doesn't mean that people want it.

I would never consider any EV without rapid charging. It is rapid charging that makes it usable more like an ICE and without it then you can rule out long trips.

I think it is ridiculous that a company like Mercedes is launching an EV without rapid charging. Few people will buy IMO.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ah - you'll be one of those who'll decry Rapid Charging when inductive charging is launched! Some of us don't need rapid, indeed even Nissan realise this (amongst others) and even provide rapid as a premium option - but only if you 're willing to pay for it.

I have no need of it, don't require it, and won't buy the option. How difficult is that to understand? There are folk with 5-year old EVs that have 16a blue commando and 13a plugs that have now been bypassed. Why should their investment be sidelined so soon, because you cannot see past a rapid Chargepoint?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I agree some don't need it. But the fact is that the fast majority of people will want to have a car they can use for all their trips... especially spending the kind of money that a Merc would cost.

Remember, people buy what they want... not what they need.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
In these early days while standards are still being worked out and manufacturers don't have the economies of scale to put everything in as standard, it's to be expected that many will be optional extras.

I'd love my Ampera to have rapid charging, but if they'd asked for £2k more for the option I wouldn't have paid. Nice to have but not essential on an EREV.

HOWEVER on a pure EV then rapid charging SHOULD be an option. Ommitting it does imply that it's a compliance vehicle. BMW at least generated an autonomous 'i' division and although I'm sure they're just testing the water, their decisions do seem to have been thought out.

·
Registered
310 Posts
When we bought our Leaf back in June the business plan was to use it as my wife's car primary for local running. We opted not to upgrade to the 32a charger as most charging would be at home. And rapid charging was as a back-up to occasional trips towards the edge of the cars range.

And yet later today I'm about to drive it on the second 200 mile trip in a week with 2 or 3 rapid charges en route. Had the rapid charger been an option it wouldn't have been added, and that would have meant that the car wouldn't be used as much. If the likes of Mercedes, BMW etc want to charge for this as a premium extra (like they do for so many basic features on their cars - and BTW I've had a few beemers before I get accused of badge bashing) then fine, but don't pretend that it isn't needed.

Electric cars with a 100 mile range and no rapid charge option aren't going to persuade more people to get an electric car.....

·
Registered
610 Posts
This sounds like the 'trust us we know what you really want, you don't'? Not only is this patronising, it removes consumer choice. If you want rapid charging, buy a car with it. If - as expected - rapids become premium charged at point of use, will all these advocates be happily paying up if a nearby T2 is free or considerably cheaper to use? I think not.

Your long distance use of your EV is hardly a selling point for rapids - have you never turned up to find one out of service and your forward progress thwarted? From experience T2 is inherently more stable than a rapid. If Merc feels there is no need, it strikes a blow against the Rapid Brigade who constantly bleat about the need as if it is some god-given right, when they could just as easily use a T2 and take life at a Fast, rather than Rapid pace.

If Merc add if as an option, fine. But nobody is being forced to buy one - so the market will decide.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The Nissan LEAF Visia model initially did not have the Rapid port as standard and was a £500 option. They soon realised that that was a marketing error and now the Visia has it as standard.

Reactions: Casper

·
Registered
310 Posts
When (not if) rapids start charging then as long as the electricity isn't at a vast premium then I'll pay - after all I pay to charge at home so it's not like I expect it all for nothing.

But without rapid chargers then trips like the 200 miles I'm planning to do in my Leaf this afternoon would be done in my petrol i30 instead. Rapid chargers are just about quick enough to have a stop at the services, use the toilet, visit the WHSmith Library and maybe a drink. Make it a type 2 charge even at 32a and you add a long wait onto the trip making it (for me) impractical

·
Registered
853 Posts
I wouldn't have brought an ev if it didn't have the option to rapid charge.

Only on Friday I was making my normal commute home when the phone rang. "Do you want to come bowling with us?" "Erm yes I'll meet you there I'll just grab 10 mins on the rapid and I'll make it" if rapid charging wasn't an option I'd have only made it home.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The Nissan LEAF Visia model initially did not have the Rapid port as standard and was a £500 option. They soon realised that that was a marketing error and now the Visia has it as standard.
You'll be disappointed - it is NOT standard across the range. So no 'marketing' error. My information comes from a test drive at a dealership last Thursday. If I want Rapid, I pay for the upgrade.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I wouldn't have brought an ev if it didn't have the option to rapid charge.

Only on Friday I was making my normal commute home when the phone rang. "Do you want to come bowling with us?" "Erm yes I'll meet you there I'll just grab 10 mins on the rapid and I'll make it" if rapid charging wasn't an option I'd have only made it home.
So you'll not buy the Merc ? Fine, you had the choice. Just don't force others who may have no wish to pay more for something they may have little or no chance of using.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You'll be disappointed - it is NOT standard across the range. So no 'marketing' error. My information comes from a test drive at a dealership last Thursday. If I want Rapid, I pay for the upgrade.
It's obviously an old model that they have in stock. Check out the latest Nissan website here under Equipment.

Reactions: sallybuswell

·
Registered
853 Posts
I wouldn't buy the e golf either as won't charge at 7kw

If I'm going to take on an ev I want it to be as painless and useable as possible.

I bet it costs less than £50 to add rapid charging at the design stage. it's a socket and some cable seems a no brainer to me.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
So you'll not buy the Merc ? Fine, you had the choice. Just don't force others who may have no wish to pay more for something they may have little or no chance of using.
Making rapid charging an option makes a lot of sense if there are a good number of people that would not want it. Some people won't want rapid charging but IMO the vast majority of people will want it and so whether it is sensible to have it as an option or to just have it as standard is certainly a debatable point... however, to not even have it as an option means that the car will then only appeal to those that don't want it and so will massively limit their potential market.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I think its a little short sighted, in the grand scheme of things I am sure it adds very little cost to the manufacturer but it opens up options later on for the owner. If you have it and never use it, no loss. However not to have it and then something in your life changes that needs you to drive further you are stuck.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I bet it costs less than £50 to add rapid charging at the design stage. it's a socket and some cable seems a no brainer to me.
I imagine it costs a lot more than that. Rapid charging creates a lot of heat and so cars with rapid charging have to incorporate a much more active and larger active battery cooling and management system.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts