Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately it will be a single phase cable so not possible.

You could change the cable but it would limit the charge point to the b class only, other cars (Zoe) doesn't like have a feed on the extra phase.
Thanks Richiec. That’s what I thought and confirmed when I opened it up.

Until I get hold of an untethered charger, I may still give it a try, as no one else is using my charger which is on a private driveway.

Am I correct to assume that a 3 phase 32A cable should work connecting two phases on the wall box side effectively sending 16A down each phase?

·
Super Moderator
10,888 Posts
Am I correct to assume that a 3 phase 32A cable should work connecting two phases on the wall box side effectively sending 16A down each phase?
A 3-phase cable has 3 separate wires, one for each phase. A correctly configured 32A wall box only has power to one of the three. A "Mercedes Hacked" wall box would tie two of them together.

·
Super Moderator
10,888 Posts

A single phase wall box socket uses L1 and N. A 3-phase cable would pass that on to your car. You'd still only get 16A.

A 3 phase wall box has three separate phases on L1, L2 and L3. In this case your car will charge at the higher rate. Each phase goes to a separate 16A charger in the car.

The OP hack ties L1 and L3 together. That works for the B250e but may damage other EVs.

Shorting L1 and L2 or L3 on 3-phase will at a minimum trip a breaker.

·
Will it ever happen ?
208 Posts
The OP hack ties L1 and L3 together. That works for the B250e but may damage other EVs.

Shorting L1 and L2 or L3 on 3-phase will at a minimum trip a breaker.
We are only talking about shorting on single phase NOT 3 phase, any of this work should be done by an electrician. look back on older posts to see what we are talking about :sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
10,888 Posts
We are only talking about shorting on single phase NOT 3 phase, any of this work should be done by an electrician. look back on older posts to see what we are talking about
I have. Some posts do not demonstrate an understanding of 3-ϕ AC.

See post 3 in this thread and the one I just replied to.

People should not be using modified leads on public posts.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts