Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 241 miles, and 2.5 hours with the heater on at a drive in movie, I got the tortoise about 2 miles from home. Made it back still saying 5% in the battery but “miles” saying - - -. Very impressive considering my previous experiences with the Leaf on longer trips!

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
That's a long range for the Tortoise! How limited was the performance?

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tortoise popped up when the GOM still said 12 miles so not totally sure what triggered it. I was in a 40 zone when it appeared then a 30, and didn’t notice any reduction in power (but also didn’t floor it in case that would drop voltages enough to persuade it to quit altogether).

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
From memory the Tortoise on the Niro isn't the same as on the Leaf is it? On the Leaf speed is limited but I think on the Niro it's more like just forced Eco Mode.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
372 Posts
I expect the turtle mode pops up whenever you discharge the battery so very deeply. It will be to limit the current draw in order to try and protect the battery from possible damage or excessive degradation.
The internal resistance of Lithium ion cells becomes much higher when at very low SOC. This situation is made worse still at lower battery temperatures. So pulling high currents whilst in this raised IR state would cause abnormally high (potentially damaging) power dissipation inside the cells

I would suggest try to avoid taking it so close to the wire whenever possible.

cheers
Peter

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I expect the turtle mode pops up whenever you discharge the battery so very deeply. It will be to limit the current draw in order to try and protect the battery from possible damage or excessive degradation.
The internal resistance of Lithium ion cells becomes much higher when at very low SOC. This situation is made worse still at lower battery temperatures. So pulling high currents whilst in this raised IR state would cause abnormally high (potentially damaging) power dissipation inside the cells

I would suggest try to avoid taking it so close to the wire whenever possible.

cheers
Peter
Well, a closure on the M3 and a wrong turn on the M25 made me arrive home with about 15 miles less than planned, so certainly didn’t mean to take it so low, but I really couldn’t be bothered to stop just for a five minute top up. Car did get a drink right away when we got home.

Reactions: prawlin

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
When your really low power is very limited. I thought mine continued to to show miles remaining until about 1/2 a mile before it stopped but it was several months ago so I could be remembering that incorrectly.

Yes, I ran out, about 1/2 a mile from home. If I lived at the bottom of the hill I probably would have made it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts