Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched to Octopus Energy last summer, but had problems getting a SMART meter installed & operational until January. So both Gas & Electric meters are SMART and reporting back to Octopus.
This morning the Door bell rang, I opened the door to a courier dropping something off, when I closed the door, I noticed a card in the letter box.
The card was from TMA, stating they were sorry to have missed us and needed meter readings!!
We haven’t been out and the door bell has only rang the once for the courier. So I am pretty certain this meter reader never attempted to ring the bell and simply pushed the card through the door. As we have SMART meters, why do they need a reading?
Should I bother myself to take reading for them, when they can’t be arsed to ring the bell?
Who are TMA?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
No idea who 'TMA' are but even if you have a smart meter (or indeed if you religiously report your dumb meter readings) you still need an 'official' meter reading at least once every two years. I can't see that you taking a reading and reporting that to TMA would fulfil that requirement. I'd report incident to Octopus.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Octopus Energy has a FAQ about this: <Octopus Energy>. It sounds like TMA are the people that Octopus uses to read meters. It's not clear why they would need to send people to read a smart meter, but a call to Octopus should sort it out.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,262 Posts
There was a rule that your meter had to be physically read after a certain number of years. Brought about by too many providers constantly using estimated readings that were always in the favour of the provider. Is that still in force? I would have thought that wouldn't apply to users with Smart meters.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
There was a rule that your meter had to be physically read after a certain number of years. Brought about by too many providers constantly using estimated readings that were always in the favour of the provider. Is that still in force? I would have thought that wouldn't apply to users with Smart meters.
That would be a sensible conclusion; how many official regulations are "sensible" ? AFAIK, it's still mandatory to have an 'official' reading every two years.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't they also class it as a safety check instead of meter reading. But don't know how. When they not electricans checking maybe as long as it looks ok.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Don't they also class it as a safety check instead of meter reading. But don't know how. When they not electricians checking maybe as long as it looks ok.
I imagine they're probably tasked to check for signs of meter tampering - but unless they're experienced electricians or the customer has been very sloppy they'd probably miss most such cases.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I imagine they're probably tasked to check for signs of meter tampering - but unless they're experienced electricians or the customer has been very sloppy they'd probably miss most such cases.
Yes, they are. I did it as a temporary job for a while a few years back, when I was in-between jobs. The training included all the types of fiddles people try and how to spot them.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
The requirement for suppliers to read meters every two years was dropped sometime ago, and replaced with a requirement to obtain a meter reading every 12 months.

Quote: The licensee must take all reasonable steps to obtain a meter reading (including any meter reading transmitted electronically from a meter to the licensee or provided by the Customer and accepted by the licensee) for each of its Customers at least once every year. Unquote

·
Registered
241 Posts
I switched to Octopus Energy last summer, but had problems getting a SMART meter installed & operational until January. So both Gas & Electric meters are SMART and reporting back to Octopus.
This morning the Door bell rang, I opened the door to a courier dropping something off, when I closed the door, I noticed a card in the letter box.
The card was from TMA, stating they were sorry to have missed us and needed meter readings!!
We haven’t been out and the door bell has only rang the once for the courier. So I am pretty certain this meter reader never attempted to ring the bell and simply pushed the card through the door. As we have SMART meters, why do they need a reading?
Should I bother myself to take reading for them, when they can’t be arsed to ring the bell?
Who are TMA?
Hi I was with Spark energy and they fitted me a smart meter but I only ever had estimated readings on my bill from the day they fitted it. I am with British Gas now but they say I need a new smart meter fitted in December (owing to the Virus) as mine does not talk to their system, I don't know if I will stay with BG. as I may be accepted in the Car2Grid trial run next year and I will need a new smart meter and new charger unit fitted in place of both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts