Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car coming tomorrow and I suddenly realised we will need to provide our accountant with energy usage for the car.
I put in a pod station 16amp straight from the meter and I was wondering what would be the cheapest way to measure. I was thinking clamp meter. Any suggestions please.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just like to know amp/hours or units on that circuit only.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm using a Iskraemeco ME372 which does that although it's got a lot of extra functionality so it's probably not the cheapest option if you're only interested in electricity consumption.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I have an Owl clamp on jobby at home. Not on a specific circuit, rather the main feed in. Its reads pretty accurate, but does go through a set of batteries every 9 months.
I picked mine up on Freecycle from someone who couldn't get it working :)

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,694 Posts
Car coming tomorrow and I suddenly realised we will need to provide our accountant with energy usage for the car.
I put in a pod station 16amp straight from the meter and I was wondering what would be the cheapest way to measure. I was thinking clamp meter. Any suggestions please.
Was it installed on OLEV grant with the 3 year monitoring? Then supplier has the stats maybe they can give you online access.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I use a Current Cost clamp type meter. About £35 on ebay.
Should be good enough for your purposes as it keep totals/monthly usage etc.
I actually measure the whole house but as long as you clamp it to the right cable it should work fine.
If you get the right model, it should have a USB connection to make it easy to give your accountant the numbers.
I have this model: http://www.currentcost.com/product-envir.html

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Clamp meters (cheap ones for home use at least) tend to be very inaccurate at low current usage,but at the sort of draw an EV charge involves, they should be accurate enough I would think.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just buy a proper electricity meter and get it installed by an electrician. That way there'll be no arguing with the HMRC.
If a £25 Elster meter is good enough for NPower/EDF/SSE/etc it'll be good enough for everyone...

·
Registered
118 Posts
@Webby have you found the menu on the vehicle where you can set up the kw/h amount you pay and the vehicle will add it up for you as you charge? Its under charging somewhere. Then drive your vehicle into inland revenue car park show them the amount whilst advising of the benefits of ev driving! Don't tell them a load of the charging was done at rapids or your mates house - they don't need to know that!
PS got a car sticker coming for you ill chuck it in the post.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris nailed it. Look in the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts