Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 264 Posts

· Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR. Mini Cooper SE
1,305 Posts
It’ll be interesting to see whether their laudable ev charger rollout continues if MFG gets sold to the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company. They’re currently actively looking for a buyer with a touted value of circa £5m and ADNOC are apparently in the running. Hopefully won’t happen, but they’re primarily a fossil fuels retailer and so will appeal to oil companies.

· Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they’re in it to make money and a lot of the investment / expansion of EV charging is baked in to their existing business plan.

if a company were looking to take over a charging network to shut it down and reduce EV sales (plausible but unlikely?) then they’d be better off sniffing around InstaVolt / Gridserve etc…

· Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR. Mini Cooper SE
1,305 Posts
I think they’re in it to make money and a lot of the investment / expansion of EV charging is baked in to their existing business plan.

if a company were looking to take over a charging network to shut it down and reduce EV sales (plausible but unlikely?) then they’d be better off sniffing around InstaVolt / Gridserve etc…
I don’t suppose they’re motivated to shut the charging network down, but oil companies don’t have a great reputation when it comes to buying networks. Maybe that’s just BP though.

· Registered
Ioniq 28kWh
1,898 Posts
It’ll be interesting to see whether their laudable ev charger rollout continues if MFG gets sold to the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company. They’re currently actively looking for a buyer with a touted value of circa £5m and ADNOC are apparently in the running. Hopefully won’t happen, but they’re primarily a fossil fuels retailer and so will appeal to oil companies.
CD&R own MFG, they are also buying Morrisons, as part of the deal they have to sell off some Forecourt

"MFG has 921 forecourts, while Morrisons operates 339 petrol stations alongside its supermarkets across England, Scotland and Wales. The CMA’s Phase 1 investigation focused on local areas where both businesses operated petrol stations.

Following its Phase 1 investigation, the CMA found that the deal raises competition concerns in relation to the supply of petrol and diesel in 121 local areas across England, Scotland and Wales – so could lead to higher prices for motorists in these locations.

In order to address these concerns, CD&R offered to divest 87 of MFG’s petrol stations to a purchaser or purchasers to be approved by the CMA."

The sites with chargers may be protected. It may lead to an alternative strategy at Morrison supermarkets / their petrol stations.

· Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MFG Chorlton going live this afternoon.

swung by there just now and the chargers were unveiled and being tested. Had a chat with the man there and he told me:

Prestwich - long delays from the DNO Sept - Oct likely.
Salford - opened yesterday.

sites in Rusholme and Withington going live in the next few days (didn’t know there were any!).

· Registered
Nissan LEAF e+
558 Posts

· Registered
302 Posts
Noticed "coming soon" signs at the one by Lewisham Hospital - it's a Shell branded one but run by MFG.
Alpitronic units, nice.

I can't tell if the move to Alpitronic is site by site where there's no space to put in the frankly enormous (and mostly empty) Rapiton 150 Power Cabinets, caused by MFGs divorce with Swarco (Circontrol who make the Rapiton chargers are Swarco's preferred charger provider) or the desire to be able to provide 150kw at voltages lower than 600V.

· Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
674 Posts
MFG Chorlton going live this afternoon.

swung by there just now and the chargers were unveiled and being tested. Had a chat with the man there and he told me:

Prestwich - long delays from the DNO Sept - Oct likely.
Salford - opened yesterday.

sites in Rusholme and Withington going live in the next few days (didn’t know there were any!).
Nice! I might use the Salford Quays one soon, also didnt know about the Rusholme and Withington ones, I wonder where they are...

· Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice! I might use the Salford Quays one soon, also didnt know about the Rusholme and Withington ones, I wonder where they are...
Yeah I was wondering. I ‘might’ have misheard Withington - but Rusholme was right. On the MFG app you can see where their regular service stations are. Might have a snoop this weekend.

· Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
674 Posts
I think I’ve already charged in their rusholme one, but it was a single 50kW charger from shell maybe. Can’t find it now on zap map so maybe they removed it.

· Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rusholme: went and had a look. It’s at the Shell garage at the town end of Curry Mile.
Still very much under construction - as in JCB’s and concrete ripped up. But it’s coming…!

I tried the Chorlton one. All working fine. 68kw on 50% SOC (not an especially warm battery) so not too bad.

· Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No pictures?

app says 4 chargers at both locations, I guess limited by footprint of forecourt itself
4 at Chorlton yes.

nothing on their app for Rusholme so no idea how many chargers! It’s just fenced off rubble anyway at the moment. They’re digging up a lot of it’s only four chargers though!

1 - 20 of 264 Posts