Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article in today’s Times.

“Britain’s largest independent chain of petrol stations is to spend £400 million on installing 3,000 fast electric chargers across its nationwide estate.

In one of the biggest boosts to the government’s plans to build infrastructure for battery-powered cars, Motor Fuel Group (MFG), which operates 918 forecourts in the UK, plans to install chargers enabling drivers to add 100 miles of range in less than ten minutes.”

“Over the coming decades, MFG will operate a dual-fuel strategy,” Bannister said. “It will continue to provide existing fossil fuel infrastructure whilst rolling out ultra-fast electric vehicle charging hubs.”

Their website states they "aim to install over 200 150kW chargers in 2021".

This is their app:

·
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The article also states that they intend to roll out "ultra-fast electric vehicle charging hubs" as "new charger-point only locations", in addition to adding chargers to existing fossil fuel forecourt locations.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
...or they jump later when there is more demand and buy better more refined chargers for less money and they put you out of business by charging less to use them......

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
218 Posts
True, but to be fair, it's no different then Polar, sorry Pulse, where the equipment is already outdated. I thin a re-investment every 10 years is a given. And this press release says the full network wouldn't be in place until the 2030s. Suspect by then they won't still be putting equipment in the ground from 2021...

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
847 Posts
Interesting tidbit in that article:

The transition to chargers is likely to make financial sense too. Industry analysts say 100 miles of petrol will cost a motorist £14. Because of fuel taxes the retailer sees less than £1 of that in profit.

One hundred miles of fast-electric charge could cost the plug-in motorist nearly half that but the retailer should be able to make several pounds of profit.
Perhaps we've been cutting the CPOs too much slack if they can make several pounds worth of profit on £7! Or maybe that's only in the future, when economies of scale kick in?

It certainly gives me hope that in the future we'll be paying Gridserve prices, not Ionity.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
218 Posts
Interesting tidbit in that article:

Perhaps we've been cutting the CPOs too much slack if they can make several pounds worth of profit on £7! Or maybe that's only in the future, when economies of scale kick in?

It certainly gives me hope that in the future we'll be paying Gridserve prices, not Ionity.
Until the government announce a tax on public charging stations to make up for the loss of fuel duty...

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
847 Posts
Even if/ when duty is eventually put on public charging, they can still decide whether they want to make a healthy slice of profit on a kWh, whether the wholesale cost is 25p or £1.25.

I guess the market will decide.

·
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Press release here with some more detail:

"In 2021, MFG will build EV charging hubs at an additional 40 sites, offering over 200 Ultra-Rapid 150kW EV Chargers. The initial focus will be on major trunk roads and urban areas. In London alone, MFG’s planned roll-out will treble the current number of open network Ultra-Rapid 150kW EV Chargers.

From 2022 onwards, MFG plans to build at least 50 additional EV charging hubs per year. A significant number of these will be on the strategic road network, thereby materially helping Government to hit the targets it has laid out."

·
The best there is at what I do
10,922 Posts
Until the government announce a tax on public charging stations to make up for the loss of fuel duty...
They will have to tax more than that, most people will only be charging at home for the vast majority of time, I suspect the only way they will begin to match the fuel duty is by road charging.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
360 Posts
I don’t think they’ll add taxes to the charge points, that model just won’t work. More likely they’ll change the car tax model and move to charging per mile driven or something along those lines.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,248 Posts
They will have to tax more than that, most people will only be charging at home for the vast majority of time, I suspect the only way they will begin to match the fuel duty is by road charging.
The worst possible way to fix it would be to remove the VAT discount on domestic electricity, raising it from the current 5% to the full 20%.
Bets they'll do exactly that?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
847 Posts
The worst possible way to fix it would be to remove the VAT discount on domestic electricity, raising it from the current 5% to the full 20%.
I doubt it. That wouldn't go down well. They may find a way to bill you 20% VAT for EV consumption at home, but it would be messy. I doubt even the smartest current chargers would satisfy HMRC for metering.

There's an interesting report from the IFS, which suggests that simply replacing fuel duty like for like with a tax on on (motoring) electricity might not be the best approach. Better to have road pricing with a 'where and when' element to it, so peak time driving in urban areas is more expensive.

Either way, there's £40bn to find from somewhere.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2 - 2020
350 Posts
It's good for flexibility for the EV drivers, however at 39p/kWh it's on the expensive. Either competition is good for the consumer and prices drop in time ... or the people charging 24p will see people are willing to pay 39p and up their prices for more profit. Only time will tell.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,922 Posts
If they do that they will plunge a lot of people into poverty, there are already people out there that have to make the decision on whether to heat or eat, I think it's much more likely that they will introduce road charging, it would be a fairer way to charge for road use, it's a shame they couldnt get rid of VED as well but now it's for emissions and how much your car costs its doubtful that will happen.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,248 Posts
If they do that they will plunge a lot of people into poverty, there are already people out there that have to make the decision on whether to heat or eat, I think it's much more likely that they will introduce road charging, it would be a fairer way to charge for road use, it's a shame they couldnt get rid of VED as well but now it's for emissions and how much your car costs its doubtful that will happen.
I did say "worst possible".

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2 - 2020
350 Posts
Do you think this government cares about the poor?

They won't care that most low paid workers cannot afford a car so have to use public transport to/from work.

They will be as dumb as we lost x of car fuel, so let's add Y to electrical cars. Zero creative thinking.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts