Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Can we have some clarity please about the MG 5 SW EV?
What if any changes are being made to this model in May 2021, is it a facelift, update or upgrade?
surely it would only be speculation from any of us, until may 2021. I mean, the first model was only introduced last week.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
surely it would only be speculation from any of us, until may 2021. I mean, the first model was only introduced last week.
It has been confirmed by Miles Roberts from Chorley Group on Facebook..
MG Pilot will be added and a possible exterior styling tweak.
Unfortunately MG Pilot can't be retrofitted to the current model.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
would you spend that much money on a car when in only 6 or 7 months there's supposed to be a better looking, better specced version coming out ? even if I loved the car, there's no way I'd buy it now, especially since MG have a habit of actually producing, and supplying, cars at a rate over and above the demand.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd be happy not to have mg pilot or whatever its called. I'd rather steer, and control the speed myself. I definitely don't want a car that slams its brakes on. And you can't really tell me you think any of these modern cars actually looks good, can you? This years fashion or last years, it's all just tasteless mass produced crap really whether by audi or tata or MG or whoever. I imagine it will look a bit different, but better? I doubt it, the really pretty cars haven't been made for fifty years or more, I don't think. Just my opinion of course, and I get that I'm probably unusual in actively preferring not to have all the drive-it-for-you bits, but for me it's just less stuff to have to deactivate.

·
Registered
590 Posts
would you spend that much money on a car when in only 6 or 7 months there's supposed to be a better looking, better specced version coming out ? even if I loved the car, there's no way I'd buy it now, especially since MG have a habit of actually producing, and supplying, cars at a rate over and above the demand.
Possibly, but apparently there are enough people wanting this format of EV to justify the initial low-key launch.

I see the reviews (e.g. Autocar/AutoExpress) are okish. Mostly complaints about the bland appearance, iffy bits of interior, off the pace infortainment etc. But the practical bits are right: space, range, charging etc. Numb steering too, but I think everyone has pretty much given up on ever having cars with precise, lively, steering these days.

Interesting comments in the Autocar article about the traction control tuning. It's almost like journalists want it both ways; complaints about slow cars and now a car that seems too fast off the line :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'd be happy not to have mg pilot or whatever its called. I'd rather steer, and control the speed myself. I definitely don't want a car that slams its brakes on. And you can't really tell me you think any of these modern cars actually looks good, can you? This years fashion or last years, it's all just tasteless mass produced crap really whether by audi or tata or MG or whoever. I imagine it will look a bit different, but better? I doubt it, the really pretty cars haven't been made for fifty years or more, I don't think. Just my opinion of course, and I get that I'm probably unusual in actively preferring not to have all the drive-it-for-you bits, but for me it's just less stuff to have to activate.
Maybe so, but systems like LKAS are here to stay: manufacturers can't get more than 3 stars on the Euro NCAP test without it now. (Hence MG waiting until the upgraded model to put it through the test). A shame as most of the LKAS systems out there are seriously annoying.

Adaptive cruise control and auto parking brake are worth having IMO.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe so, but systems like LKAS are here to stay: manufacturers can't get more than 3 stars on the Euro NCAP test without it now. (Hence MG waiting until the upgraded model to put it through the test). A shame as most of the LKAS systems out there are seriously annoying.

Adaptive cruise control and auto parking brake are worth having IMO.
Totally agree about ACC having just driven on the M25 and M1 in my ZS EV I wouldn't want to go back to to not having it, not bothered about LKAS though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It depends on how much money I’d need to spend and how that compares with other, similar(ish) cars cost.

The car is what it is today, what it is and how much it costs tomorrow is unimportant if you’re happy with it today.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Well I guess we'll know soon enough on here who's nearer being right - it'll be very interesting. What's really upset me over EVs is that Polestar news about having to do 100k miles before you get over the increased emissions factor of the build. That's really put me off swapping for a full EV at the moment.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wonder if the same would apply to cars with smaller battery like the 5? I suppose though any new car will have a big emissions cost, in an ideal world we'd convert ICE cars into EVs rather than build more cars but unfortunately this costs far too much for it to be viable for most people.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well I guess we'll know soon enough on here who's nearer being right - it'll be very interesting. What's really upset me over EVs is that Polestar news about having to do 100k miles before you get over the increased emissions factor of the build. That's really put me off swapping for a full EV at the moment.
That's being selective.

I think that's probably the number if the EV is charged on a grid with fairly dirty sources.

It also assumes the equivalent fossil fuel Volvo is only emitting it's rated tail pipe Co2. Which is far from the full story because there is a lot more Co2 produced in extracting, refining and transporting the fossil fuel to the tank.

I believe the figure they gave for an average European grid (averaged from 28 countries) was 50k, and for 100% wind sourced of 30K.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,947 Posts
VW are claiming the ID.3 is already built "carbon neutral" including the factories.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
As well as the points above about not counting well to wheel emissions with fossil fuel cars and variations in the carbon intensity of the grid, it also takes no account of local air pollution from fossil cars. Once you factor that in too, there is no comparison. And remember, the longer you put off buying an EV the longer it will take to offset the emissions!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Unless I'm wrong, I thought the polestar thing was purely manufacturing "emissions" - which will vary based on battery size I guess, but as far as I know, it's the first time a manufacturer has actually held its hands up and said that their car does have a significant bump at the start of its life in terms of eco'ness !

·
Registered
590 Posts
Unless I'm wrong, I thought the polestar thing was purely manufacturing "emissions" - which will vary based on battery size I guess, but as far as I know, it's the first time a manufacturer has actually held its hands up and said that their car does have a significant bump at the start of its life in terms of eco'ness !
Nope. VW did the calculations and clearly stated the pay back point Vs Petrol in CO2 a while ago. I think they did this at the time of the eGolf, whereby the Daily Mail were up in arms about the results. I think they quoted 100,000kms (62,000 miles) on the German grid (has lots of coal power).

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I googled the VW study, so yes, someone else has done it before; but I quote the following from it :

"The use phase includes both the emissions of the fuel and electricity supply, and especially those of vehicle operation over 200,000 km"

so 124000 miles (by your maths) as far as I can see. You can as you say reduce it by 90% I think it said for the EV using 100% renewables, but that's for a what 30kwh battery was it in the first egolf ?

either way, I'm still not going to be buying a new EV when a secondhand Euro 6 clean diesel is probably greener for a good while. Mind you, I can't afford one anyway !!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts