Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

The Facebook group has developed a website and I have assisted with the Q & A pages. We have tried to answer the most common questions.

Reactions: rogerdee

·
Registered
312 Posts
This maybe a very selfish request, but I'd love the group to migrate off Facebook and onto a dedicated forum on the new members site (I know there is the cost factor and what to do with all the existing knoweldge contained in threads in FB) but for those of us who no longer use Facebook, we are on the outside of the circle using other forums such as this one and MGEVs Community

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
This maybe a very selfish request, but I'd love the group to migrate off Facebook and onto a dedicated forum on the new members site (I know there is the cost factor and what to do with all the existing knoweldge contained in threads in FB) but for those of us who no longer use Facebook, we are on the outside of the circle using other forums such as this one and MGEVs Community
Isn't that a choice thing though, you chose to leave FB, but there is a wealth of info on their. Actually searching the group is easy, but not many people use it, I use it all the time.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand where you are coming from, but there are a lot of people on Facebook. The Facebook page has over 3500 members. Not all active of course, to put that in perspective there are around a dozen regulars on here.
The average person doesn’t interact on Facebook and even less on forums.
I do miss lots of stuff on Facebook as it just doesn’t show up, sometimes for days! So yes forums work technically better, but very few people would move across. Plus there are quite a few female members on Facebook. Not yet aware of any on here in this sub forum!

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,935 Posts
@MikeProcter Sorry for the off topic question, but what benefit to the Bilstein dampers bring?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@MikeProcter Sorry for the off topic question, but what benefit to the Bilstein dampers bring?
Improved ride, improved handling, improved comfort, no stepping out of the rear while going around bends, taughter steering feel. Confidence that the car will do and go where asked without wallowing all over the place. The response when you hit a pothole or go over a speed bump is greatly improved. Greatly reduced crashing of the suspension.

Reactions: TiJayFLY

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,935 Posts
Where did you get it done / buy the springs, and how much?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did you get it done / buy the springs, and how much?
I am developing them with Vehicle Handling Solutions. Cost? Not cheap. They will be offering a 2 stage setup. The rears on their own and then add the fronts as stage 2. Bilstein are one of the most expensive damper manufacturers. I expect the cost for all 4 corners will be circa £800 plus vat plus fitting when we have finished developing them. It is running standard springs.
We still have further improvements to make and I’m just awaiting a revised set. I have created a couple of videos on them.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
FB allows people to dip in and out of a multitude of groups as and when needs must. More work in signing up for a forum especially if you've just got a quick question.

Reactions: MikeProcter

·
Registered
312 Posts
I get that (and Mike makes an excellent point on demographics, forums seem to be the exclusive domain of men, and I'm all for better diversification of knowledge), its just unfortunte that I have an issue with Facebook as a platform and it cuts me off from their excellent groups and also my network of overseas friends, having lived abroad for three years it was an excellent way to keep intouch. However I made a conscious decision after the last couple of elections and their stance on fact checking that I could no longer endorse the platform (this is coming from someone who was an early adopter in 2007, frequent user and for my day job I'm an intranet manager and advocate open knowledge sharing, but the nagging feeling that I was compromising my privacy for the sake of ease got to me). Everyone has different reasons for being on FB or not (and I did say its a selfish reason, given the scope of audience), I was just refelcting my decision to be off the platform limits my engagement sometimes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm on FB but can't say I use it much and have permissions and personal details locked down, and I do understand your concerns. I use Whatsapp to connect with my overseas friends and who owns that! Plus my football team is on Messenger for fixture information, line-ups etc., so it's difficult not to use the tools and one can only control how you use them.

All too aware of the male domination of forums: I'm on a football one too (!), and the aggressive language and competitiveness ("banter") can get a bit tiresome. There are certain names you can almost predict what they will say, or at least how they say things. ;-)

·
Journeyman Human
440 Posts
I am developing them with Vehicle Handling Solutions. Cost? Not cheap. They will be offering a 2 stage setup. The rears on their own and then add the fronts as stage 2. Bilstein are one of the most expensive damper manufacturers. I expect the cost for all 4 corners will be circa £800 plus vat plus fitting when we have finished developing them. It is running standard springs.
We still have further improvements to make and I’m just awaiting a revised set. I have created a couple of videos on them.

Hi Mike,
Until today, I'd been very skeptical of your opinion of the cars original suspension, and I'm still not seeing the issue of the rear stepping out on corners, but we really don't have lots of potholes around here to crash through, so it could be local conditions making it less noticeable, but I've just been paying close attention whilst driving along some faster country lanes and b****y h**l are you right about wallowing! I don't know why I've not been tuned into it before, and I wish you'd not brought it to my attention, as I can't not feel it all the time now! Lateral roll/wallow!! Argh!!, it's awful, and most of the time on slightly undulating roads, the current dampers are just not cancelling it properly. Sometimes I'm rocking from side to side like crazy... :(

Please tell your friends at vehicle handling solutions that we also need a set of springs that lower the car by 25mm to 30mm in conjunction with the new dampers. Many of us would like the car to be a little less "jacked up" as well. There's copious ground clearance, so for those of us who don't leave the roads, lowering should be no issue at all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts