Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MG claims it has had 800 "expressions of interest" from buyers for the EV version of it's ZS compact SUV. the most it's ever had in Britain.
story here ,
MG ZS EV electric SUV to make UK debut this month | Autocar

I know from the other thread on here , some of that interest has already manifested itself into deposits being taken even before its launch .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Waiting to see what sort of pcp deals will be available. Nissan sold buckets and buckets of Leaf's simply because the pcp deals were fantastic value for money. If MG really want to sell the ZS EV in high volumes then they'll support the pcp route to market.

It's certainly got my attention with the proposed pricing, whether that translates into good pcp deals is another thing. My leaf pcp ends in April 2020 so I will be watching very closely how things pan out. Can't stomach the thought of paying for petrol again and driving something that sounds like a tractor. Budget will be the driving factor - if EV's continue to be hellishly expensive then i'll have to look at keeping my Leaf longer than I wanted to.

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,192 Posts
Waiting to see what sort of pcp deals will be available. Nissan sold buckets and buckets of Leaf's simply because the pcp deals were fantastic value for money. If MG really want to sell the ZS EV in high volumes then they'll support the pcp route to market.

It's certainly got my attention with the proposed pricing, whether that translates into good pcp deals is another thing. My leaf pcp ends in April 2020 so I will be watching very closely how things pan out. Can't stomach the thought of paying for petrol again and driving something that sounds like a tractor. Budget will be the driving factor - if EV's continue to be hellishly expensive then i'll have to look at keeping my Leaf longer than I wanted to.
Good point. If I was in MG's shoes, I would price high for the RSP and then offer cracking PCP deals with high residuals. They currently have an image issue (most people don't even know they exist and people are negative about Chinese cars as there are so few around), so keeping a higher price can enable them to overcome the quality perception, but good PCP deals will then drive volume.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,507 Posts
Good point. If I was in MG's shoes, I would price high for the RSP and then offer cracking PCP deals with high residuals. They currently have an image issue (most people don't even know they exist and people are negative about Chinese cars as there are so few around), so keeping a higher price can enable them to overcome the quality perception, but good PCP deals will then drive volume.
Have you seen the press release, looks like the eZS is going to address many of the things lacking on the regular ICE cooking models. Some level of autonomy and adaptive cruise. At £25k it should sell well without PCP.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Have you seen the press release, looks like the eZS is going to address many of the things lacking on the regular ICE cooking models. Some level of autonomy and adaptive cruise. At £25k it should sell well without PCP.
Yes, I did see this, but most people on the FB group seem to be suggesting a price closer to £32K. Some of the things mentioned I think are to get the car to an NCAP 4* rating, which is expected. The current ICE version is a 3*, which even though is better than older cars is a no-go for many people (me included).

The jury is out for me at the moment, I keep remembering that we are in a bubble and are really interested, I am still tempted to part with yet another deposit. But, the average car owner doesn't know that MG even exists, let alone makes EVs. Most people don't like the idea of a Chinese car (I have no issues and it was the same for Japanese, Korean and Czech cars in the past and look where they are). Finally there is brand snobbery/signalling, MG is a low price brand and will fight hard to get in a higher bracket.

Look at their current range. They have one of the lowest priced SUVs in the UK (I think that Dacia is lower) and only sold 4,441 across the whole range in 2018. They are growing, but off a very small base.

Reactions: buck eejit

·
Zoe Devotee
9,507 Posts
The current ICE version is a 3*, which even though is better than older cars is a no-go for many people (me included).
But thats only because of lane departure, and emergency braking tech not being available on ICE version. All of which are in the EV version.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
But thats only because of lane departure, and emergency braking tech not being available on ICE version. All of which are in the EV version.
:)Thats what I said in the post, but probably not very well.:cry:

·
Zoe Devotee
9,507 Posts
:)Thats what I said in the post, but probably not very well.:cry:
Didn't see you mention any of that. :)

The fact the current ICE ZS is 3 * is still probably higher than the Zoe 5 * rating which is from 2012 (before all the NCAP additions).

Reactions: Miles Roberts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Didn't see you mention any of that. :)

The fact the current ICE ZS is 3 * is still probably higher than the Zoe 5 * rating which is from 2012 (before all the NCAP additions).
I’d suggest taking a look at the NCAP report (below) - The reason it scores poorly is partly due to poor passenger protection during a collision. It isn’t particularly good.

The reason other Chinese makes aren’t know here is because they can’t be homologated due to their safety standards being lower than those in the EU.

Chinese manufacturing churns stuff out at a rate of knots with cost being the primary concern over safety or environmental impact.
There’s also China’s treatment of its own people to consider and its foreign policy.

We’re not exactly vegan, wooden-shoe wearing greenies, but at home we’ve recently made cutting down on buying Chinese manufactured stuff, produced at huge cost to the environment, as much of a priority as cutting down on buying plastic stuff. Neither is particularly easy!

In short, the list of reasons not to buy a Chinese car is long!

Official MG ZS safety rating

·
Registered
815 Posts
I’d suggest taking a look at the NCAP report (below) - The reason it scores poorly is partly due to poor passenger protection during a collision. It isn’t particularly good.

The reason other Chinese makes aren’t know here is because they can’t be homologated due to their safety standards being lower than those in the EU.

Chinese manufacturing churns stuff out at a rate of knots with cost being the primary concern over safety or environmental impact.
There’s also China’s treatment of its own people to consider and its foreign policy.

We’re not exactly vegan, wooden-shoe wearing greenies, but at home we’ve recently made cutting down on buying Chinese manufactured stuff, produced at huge cost to the environment, as much of a priority as cutting down on buying plastic stuff. Neither is particularly easy!

In short, the list of reasons not to buy a Chinese car is long!

Official MG ZS safety rating
I wont have that Luxury!!

Its my Pocket that dictates to me what Car or Product I buy, and this one is going to be cheaper than anything else out there atm

·
Zoe Devotee
9,507 Posts
Can I ask why you bought the famously made of plastic i3?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.