Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
If the car has gone into sleep mode it will most likely not detect the charger applying the CP signal once the charger has booted up.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Looks like Rolec are going to try a software fix so the charger does a short charge when plugged in then waits until the charge period but it's guess work if this will work. There's nothing in the J1772 signaling standard about delayed charging and it's very much a case of working out what works on what cars.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Why can't mg confirm they will be sorting an GSM and software update retrospective

·
Zoe Devotee
8,559 Posts
Why can't mg confirm they will be sorting an GSM and software update retrospective
Perhaps because they're not?

·
Registered
611 Posts
As long as the PP is connected to PE via a resistor in the cable the car will know there is a cable plugged in, in fact this resistor also tells the car the current rating of the cable, if the car relied on the CP to tell if there was a plug in you'd have the situation where turning the power off to the charger could lead to you driving off with a cable in.

I plan to interrupt the CP signal, so like you saw with the Zoe the car might think there is a fault with the charger until the CP is connected.
If you filter the charger output with a diode & 100uF capacitor, the car gets the 12v signal, but when the signal starts pulsing, the diode and capacitor prevent the car realising. When you want to start charging, short out the diode, and disconnect the capacitor with a change over relay.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Or use an op-amp to buffer the CP signal, the car slaps the resistor across it to start the charge but the charger doesn't see it, then bypass the op-amp with a relay and the charger will turn the supply on.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The communication controller draws very little power, I have installed a timer switching the supply to it. It really is that simple.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The communication controller draws very little power, I have installed a timer switching the supply to it. It really is that simple.
I wish it was that simple to me ?.
It’s gone right over my head !.
Well done @ScottC .
Can I ask what you have tested your modification on ?.
Are you confident it will work on the MG EV ?.
I have a 3 year old 32 Amp Rolec unit and would like to install a timer unit in the wall box for WHEN and if my ZS EV arrives.
I want to charge my car on Eco 7 “Off Peak” electricity.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Our charge point, a Rolec 32A, 7 years old. It has been used to charge every EV and PHEV on the market including some not yet on general sale, so yes I am confident it works.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'm more wondering of a way to stop the MG going to sleep if it doesn't see the CP signal, people are saying that their smart chargers aren't working with the MG because if the car doesn't start a charging session when you lock it, then it goes to sleep after a period. It then does not wake up when the charger wants to start a charge, so if your charger is powered off when you lock the car it simply won't start charging when the timer switches the charge point on. I'm hoping this isn't the case because it makes things a lot more complex.

·
Registered
210 Posts
OK, agreed, more complex, no doubt. I have not experienced that sort of behaviour on any other EV, or PHEV. I always assumed this behaviour was designed in, so in the event of a power failure mid-charge and then sometime later restoration of power, it would resume without user intervention.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Or use an op-amp to buffer the CP signal, the car slaps the resistor across it to start the charge but the charger doesn't see it, then bypass the op-amp with a relay and the charger will turn the supply on.
I believe you want the charger to see the car. I came up with my design as sometimes I did not insert the plug in the car adequately. Using diode & capacitor, the car pulls the 12v down to 9v, and the charger light changes colour. The car never gets the next signal though, (the 9v pulsing and going negative) as the diode and capacitor keep the output at around 8.4v dc.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry if someone else has mentioned this, but I am sure MG are offering cash towards an alternative if you don't want the Pod Point.

Full disclaimer, I am editor for a website that sells and installs chargers, but we have had a number of MG customers coming to us saying MG gave them £200 (I think) towards a different charger.

That plus the £500 OLEV grant will get you a decent charger installed, like the Ohme.

I'm not sure how you claim that 200 from MG but worth looking into. And if you do, please check us out - I'll be glad to help advise.

www.smarthomecharge.co.uk

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Some of the comments on this thread are from people that have already used the OLEV grant so are looking for a cheeper way to make up for the lack of timers in the car.

So far the only confirmed attempt to charge the MG from a Rolec smart charger failed because the car didn't wake up.

Myenergi have not responded to my question about if they've tested a Zappi with the MG.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've just spoken to Pod Point about getting the free charger and they said the MG doesn't allow delayed charging but they are updating their app and it should be available in the new year. Meanwhile it looks like if you want to charge overnight you will have to be late to bed. My cheap rate starts at 12:35 so if I have to charge for an hour or so on the day rate it won't break the bank. Just a bit annoying.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wonder if unlocking and then locking the car, with the remote, just before you go to bed, would wake the car up for long enough to cover the Economy7 (or whatever) start time, when using a timed charger?

Might even work from the bedroom.

A minor faff, but could mitigate this problem, without major electrical fiddling.

My car take several hours - probably 6 - to go to sleep, so the actual MG ZS EV sleep time is crucial for this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wonder if unlocking and then locking the car, with the remote, just before you go to bed, would wake the car up for long enough to cover the Economy7 (or whatever) start time, when using a timed charger?

Might even work from the bedroom.

A minor faff, but could mitigate this problem, without major electrical fiddling.

My car take several hours - probably 6 - to go to sleep, so the actual MG ZS EV sleep time is crucial for this.
Yes I'd thought of that too. It will be one of the first things I try when it arrives. I'm retired so it doesn't really matter to me when I go to bed or get up but for someone at work it could be a hassle.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts