Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, was looking at driving my MG ZS to Belgium and back in September/october time hopefully (Covid dependant) and was wondering if anyone had any experience in doing this? I tried using zap map to plan the route but it only works in the UK, does anyone know of a European alternative.
Also in general what is the charging infrastructure like in Europe, and are there any tips for maximising my range on a big drive like this?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,185 Posts
Why do people persist with using ZapMap? Its garbage. Try using ABRP (A Better Route Planner). I just checked and it worked a route for me to Belgium in seconds. (y)

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
778 Posts
I also use ChargeMap (Chargemap - Electric cars' charging station map) and NewMotion (newmotion.com - but it's now hard to find the map without signing in) when in France.

In answer to @Sandy, I find that I use both ABRP and ZapMap in the UK. They both have benefits. ABRP does seem easier to route with, but I find it harder to choose where I want to charge and it misses some charge points. ZapMap has better filtering of charge points, which I find really useful.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
348 Posts
I have been to Belgium (Bruges) several times in both my EV's, a MG ZS Ev and 30KwH Nissan Leaf. I charged in the UK using Zap Map and stayed i a hotel in Dover the night before. The hotel let me charge overnight 'through the bedroom window' using the granny charger.
The next morning I had 100% charge and had plenty of range to get to my hotel in Bruges. I didn't use the car whilst staying in Bruges but the day before the hotel allowed me to plug into their mains to get 100% charge.
I left the hotel and had enough charge to drive to Calais and then on to the hotel in Dover where I charged again overnight.
All charges went off without a hitch. I did take a caravan mains hook-up cable with suitable adapters for both end to convert one end to a UK plug and the other to a UK socket, and a lead with a European Shuko plug terminating in a UK socket. With this combination I had no problem connecting the granny charger both at home and abroad.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Apps:
1. Plugshare - great to plan your trip. Very useful especially for free chargers and destination chargers which are not covered by other apps (except Chargemap). Chargemap is equally useful.
2. Newmotion (shell recharge) and Plugsurfing - they cover most of paid chargers and allow to actually charge your car. YOU NEED TO register/activate your account well ahead of time and make sure your account is fully functional (eg. go to any ionity / shell rapid).
3. At least one pan-european RFID card (eg. newmotion). Occasionally chargers cannot be started from the app and then the card becomes very useful.

The best is to avoid locations with a single charger. May not work, may be occupied, may not work with your car. Ionity / Fastned would offer frustration free experience.
Also I would highly advise to get european roadside assistance - just in case you actually run out of juice :)

Belgium is very close so it should be stress free journey. Ideally charge before you leave UK - either Ionity Chanel Gateway or Eurotunnel itself (these chargers can be temperamental so only use them to top up!) or first charger on the other side - Veurne.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Alright, was looking at driving my MG ZS to Belgium and back in September/october time hopefully (Covid dependant) and was wondering if anyone had any experience in doing this? I tried using zap map to plan the route but it only works in the UK, does anyone know of a European alternative.
Also in general what is the charging infrastructure like in Europe, and are there any tips for maximising my range on a big drive like this?
I plan a trip to continental Europe. I have used Plugshare and Shell recharge apps and confirmed the route and charging location with Google maps. I tried to calculate using A better route planner but it's not to good i my opinion. It gives me too many stops. Maybe because I am using free version.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I look forward to further contributions to this and similar threads. Another MG owner here and as I live 15 minutes from Portsmouth ferry port would be aiming for Le Havre or Caen (or possibly St. Malo).

I've been doing fantasy planning in front of the fire this last winter, although I think we'll continue to use my friend's van for range for winter skiing holidays, even if the wine carrying capacity is not needed so much post Brexit!

One thing I noted is that chargers in France which are based on time (due to their current regulations) can be exorbitantly expensive, particularly if you can't take full advantage of a charger's capacity. The other thing is that it seems the rate you are charged can vary according to the card you are using: I seem to recall a rapid charger at Montargis (for example).

I'd be interested in any observations on the latter two points.

The way things are going it seems we won't need to rush our planning. As for the tools to use, I think the issue with ABRP is a greater need to know where you are going exactly whereas sometimes my route planning process is a lot vaguer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts