Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Interior Lightning Upgrade ...

Not to sure on this one ?.
I would like to see what upgrading the OEM interior light to LED's first.
Would be nice to see some LED lighting in the foot well's when entering the car also.
My last car had an ambient LED lighting package that would light up a thin blue LED strip in the both front doors and the same thin strip in the sill protector plates in the front.
It also had LED foot well lights in the front, all activated when the car was unlocked at night.
That was a nice feature !.
Oh ...... And "Puddle" lights under the external door handles when approaching at night and unlocking the doors.
Win some - loose some I guess !.

·
richi.uk
112 Posts
In the UK, it’s now illegal. Specifically, you should not put an LED unit behind a lens that's not designed for it.

You might get away with it for full beams, but you will mess with the dipped beam pattern and cause accidents by blinding other road users. It’s not illegal to sell them, so don’t rely on that.

Since September 2018, DVSA’s instruction to MOT testers is that LED retrofits constitute an automatic MOT fail: “An LED bulb fitted to a halogen headlamp should be rejected for 4.1.4 (c) ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’, even if the headlamp aim is within limits laid down in the requirements.”

·
Registered
97 Posts
In the UK, it’s now illegal. Specifically, you should not put an LED unit behind a lens that's not designed for it.

You might get away with it for full beams, but you will mess with the dipped beam pattern and cause accidents by blinding other road users. It’s not illegal to sell them, so don’t rely on that.

Since September 2018, DVSA’s instruction to MOT testers is that LED retrofits constitute an automatic MOT fail: “An LED bulb fitted to a halogen headlamp should be rejected for 4.1.4 (c) ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’, even if the headlamp aim is within limits laid down in the requirements.”
Someone should tell James and Kate as James said on his 2,000 mile review video on YouTube that it was one of the first mods he did.

·
richi.uk
112 Posts
Hmmm, I hope he doesn't dazzle any incoming drivers, causing an accident. Perhaps he's found a unicorn LED retrofit product where the light comes from the same area as the OEM bulb?

If he still owns it in three years, it'll be interesting to see what the tester's attitude is then. I hear that many (most?) testers are taking a more pragmatic approach than the DVSA mandate.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,301 Posts
James might have a Unicorn LED..... he fitted HIDS because the LEDS he tried were junk, like they all are in practical use.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,301 Posts
What about this LED headlamp bulb upgrade.
Can't understand what he is saying of course.

Looks like an LED bulb downgrade to me. Early in video you can see selects high beam, it casts a slightly wider light but there is no depth penetration. Junk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts