Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MG EV Charge Meter App

My son and I have developed an android app which models the cars rate of charge.

The range at the commencement of charging is entered into the app which can then display the predicted range, in real time, for a lapsed time period.

For example entering the current range into the app and selecting the charger type you could then go shopping. You can check the app eg. an hour later and it will display the updated predicted range. The app can also, if selected, alert the user once 80% and 100% of charge has been reached.

The app can be calibrated to allow for season and the SOC capacity of individual vehicles.

When beta testing is complete we are hoping to release the app as a free product on the Play Store in the near future. See attached photos of the beta version during testing. On a 7 Kw charger with a starting range of 95 miles after 1 Hr 50 mins 25 sec the car and app predicted range show the same figures of 141 miles 88% charge.

I have found it to be very useful would others be interested?

·
Registered
7 Posts
MG EV Charge Meter App

My son and I have developed an android app which models the cars rate of charge.

The range at the commencement of charging is entered into the app which can then display the predicted range, in real time, for a lapsed time period.

For example entering the current range into the app and selecting the charger type you could then go shopping. You can check the app eg. an hour later and it will display the updated predicted range. The app can also, if selected, alert the user once 80% and 100% of charge has been reached.

The app can be calibrated to allow for season and the SOC capacity of individual vehicles.

When beta testing is complete we are hoping to release the app as a free product on the Play Store in the near future. See attached photos of the beta version during testing. On a 7 Kw charger with a starting range of 95 miles after 1 Hr 50 mins 25 sec the car and app predicted range show the same figures of 141 miles 88% charge.

View attachment 133861 View attachment 133862 View attachment 133863 View attachment 133864 View attachment 133867
I certainly am interested.
Information is power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Dave,

Cool app !
As seen here :
https://ev-database.org/img/fastcharge/1201-FastchargeCurve.png
with fast chargers, charging speed may vary during charge.

80 to 90% is 8 times slower than 10 to 20% using 80+kw chargers
This may require a database of car profiles if you want to handle high speed charging.
Is that something you're working on ?

Anyway, good work. Charge speed isn't an issue for the MG at 7kw, so this app is already very useful.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the app you can select 7kw, 22kw, 42kw and 76kw charging speeds. The app could be used for other makes of car, at present it is modelled for the MG EV.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
MG EV Charge Meter App

View attachment 133861 View attachment 133862 View attachment 133863 View attachment 133864 View attachment 133867
Congrats to you and your son !.
I do admire people who put their brilliant talents to good work like this !.
Keep up the good work - well done both !.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,215 Posts
Nice work. Very similar in principal to the old Zoe range predictor app, only with some extra bells and whistles on your one. I for one would definitely download it! (y)

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is really interesting - I would be very interested in using/testing it. Like others, I'm intrequed as to how you map the charge curve of rapid (50kw) chargers, as our car seems to be a bit variable as to it's charge rate on these chargers. Before the comfort2 update it seemed to range between 25 and 40kw. After the update it seems to average around 42kw (below 80% full) - although this higher rate could be due to warmer weather. I'm interested that you mention figures of 22, 42 and 76kw charging speeds - where do these figures come from? Thanks for putting such effort into this app, and making it available to us - that's really good of you both!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I won’t be able to test as I’m an iPhone user.
However, you will need to take into account the various charging curves

This is from a 125kW Instavolt charger

41E998FB-6F53-4DEB-A52F-657B6675151F.png

These may help from my recent charges

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
This is for a 50kW charger

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm interested that you mention figures of 22, 42 and 76kw charging speeds - where do these figures come from? Thanks for putting such effort into this app, and making it available to us - that's really good of you both!
From the edf energy electric cars web site: 'Fast 7kw or 22 kw', Rapid 'Typically rated from 43kw.

76 Kw From insider charging test web site where there test showed the MG EV peak is 76kw.

The ability to custom set the charging rate will be incorporated in V2.0 along with charging curves to take account of the charging slowing as the battery reaches full charge on faster chargers.

However the faster the car charges the less need there is to monitor using an app. The app is more use for 7 and 22kw charging and to alert when 80% and 100% charge is reached and allow you to move your car off the charger for other users.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Would certainly appreciate a web version for us iPhone guys if it’s not a native app.

I built a similar thing - EVChargeHelper.co.uk - a while back, which is great for 3-22kW chargers, but is less precise for rapids and doesn’t include the MG.

I’ll gladly sell you the domain and/or source files, by the way 😉

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice, as someone with no fitted charger & thus alternating between rapid & granny charging, I'd love to see a granny charger option.
Just so I can work out roughly how long I'll need to wait til I can make it to a rapid, or make it to town & back etc etc, without having to think too much about it!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Effective charge rate at the battery from a granny lead is 1.8kW after losses, for reference.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Getting this right is not straight forward. Using your figure of 1.8kw based on a 160 miles to full charge it charges at 6 miles/Hr takes 26hrs 53mins. Based on some independent tests it is claimed the mg can charge from 0-160 miles on a granny charger in 17 hours. This is a rate of 9.6 miles/min equating to 2.86kw. I will do some tests myself to determine the rate of change from a granny charger. Calculations based on 44
kWh battery.

If anyone has actual granny rates of charge figures they have recorded themselves please post for information.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
This is the figure we calculated for Zoe taking everything into account a while back. There’s a long thread on it somewhere.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is the figure we calculated for Zoe taking everything into account a while back. There’s a long thread on it somewhere.
Takes longer to charge using a granny charger on Zoe as it has 52kwh battery whereas mg is 44.5kwh.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Yes, but the charge rate is the same 😉

·
Registered
10 Posts
MG EV Charge Meter App

This looks great, I would love to try it. I happily to offer to help to user-test an apk, but we only charge once a week so that might not be of much use to you! Also, we are on granny charger at the mo, should be getting a Ohme wall charger over the coming weeks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts