Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charged the MG yesterday and it had its 1st charge on a charger at home. It stopped charging with 224kms in the battery. I disconnected it and reconnected again. Did this 2 or 3 times and each time it said it was connected but not charging.
Is this to do with the equalisation process for cell load? My guess is the car thought that was enough and decided the battery was full??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By way of an update. Just been back out to the car and disconnected again then plugged it back in. This time it said charging complete 100% 261kms. Switched the car on again and the range said 224kms in normal mode, 233kms in eco and 200kms in sport. Not sure why it would be so different?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
478 Posts
By way of an update. Just been back out to the car and disconnected again then plugged it back in. This time it said charging complete 100% 261kms. Switched the car on again and the range said 224kms in normal mode, 233kms in eco and 200kms in sport. Not sure why it would be so different?
It was full. You get different ranges in the different modes because they infer different driving styles. Sport mode allows much more power through the motor, Eco a lot less. Some of the excess power will be lost as heat in the motor. The range is a bit of guesswork until the computer has learnt your driving style. And I am guessing you are in NZ with warm weather, you’ll get a lot less in winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I’m in NZ. Thanks for the information. It’s a great car, we only got it on the 23rd Dec after the release into New Zealand. Traded the Leaf after 4 years. Cheers!!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
The range shown on the GOM ( Guess-O-Meter) is just that, it is the “Predicted” range that you are likely to achieve based on your driving style and history.
It is also ambient temperature dependent on how it reports.
In the winter the reported mileage available on the GOM will be considerably less than it is in the summer months.
Enjoy your car !.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
This time it said charging complete 100% 261kms. Switched the car on again and the range said 224kms in normal mode, 233kms in eco and 200kms in sport. Not sure why it would be so different?
Whilst it's charging I've assumed that the figure shown below the green rolling line is the mileage (kilometerage?) based on total battery capacity. The figure (also assumed) shown on turn on is the amount based on what the BMS will allow. IE, Total battery capacity is in the region of 45 kWh and the BMS allow 42.5 kWh to drive the wheels.

My car shows 221 miles whilst charging (plugged in at 100%), but 165 miles range when turned on ready to drive.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
While the MG badge is pulsing, it is still adding charge to the battery.

When the badge stays lit without pulsing, the battery is charged to 100% nominal and it is effectively equalising the cells to ensure none are significantly over- or under-charged.

This seems to take up to 1-2 hours after the car has finished charging. You can disconnect before this but I would only recommend that if you were planning to drive off straight away.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
478 Posts
Yeah I’m in NZ. Thanks for the information. It’s a great car, we only got it on the 23rd Dec after the release into New Zealand. Traded the Leaf after 4 years. Cheers!!
Should be a great car for NZ. High off the ground for when you cross big gulleys and run out of seal! And up around Auckland there seems to be quite a bit of public charging infrastructure. It seems to be well planned along major routes. Glad you like the car, it has a keen following in the UK, being great value for money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts