Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been enjoying my MG ZS EV over the past three days. Absolutely love diving an EV and can't imagine going back to an ICE vehicle any time soon. Its not until now that I've actually realised something the car is missing (or maybe it has this feature and I haven't figured it out). Is there any energy consumption meter? I don't know what it would be, as traditionally it's MPG. If not, what calculation do I have to perform to work out how efficiently I'm driving?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I think you can find a read out this way.
Go to the up and down arrow buttons, on the right hand side of your steering wheel.
By pressing the down key, you can scroll through the options to be displayed on the centre dash panel.
When the car is fully booted up of course !.
I have mine constantly displaying the MPH in a large digital format.
From memory, each down press of this button, opens up a new display.
It should display the following windows :-
Digital current speed / power flow / status of tyre pressure's ( TPMS ) / remaining miles / consumption figures.
The order maybe incorrect, but you get the rough idea !.
Not sure if I have them all, may have missed 1 or 2 items sorry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yes!! Thanks for this info - it's there!! So happy that now I can monitor my consumption. 3.4miles/KWh... Not sure if that's good or not!!

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,030 Posts
3.4 m/kWh is a reasonable figure. It could be better. The MG is a big, heavy, flat faced car and will take some effort to move it along. A gentle right foot will get you into the 4 m/kWh area quite easily. If you've come from an ICE you may have depended on your brakes quite a bit. Try thinking farther ahead and lifting off the accelerator some distance away from junctions/lights etc and allowing the regen to do it's job. Doing that may get you into the 4.5 m/kWh. It helps with smoother driving and gives a more pleasant experience. Always be ready to brake though. When you get to the 5.5 m/kWh give yourself a pat on the back. It will be a rare occurrence. Really warm weather will help.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Ah yes!! Thanks for this info - it's there!! So happy that now I can monitor my consumption. 3.4miles/KWh... Not sure if that's good or not!!
Just bear in mind that it's a bit of a heavy lump that does not slip through the air like an arrow let's just say that !.
Not the most efficient EV in the world it has to be said, however there is certainly plenty worse out there.
Not really sure what my long term average is showing ?.
Never looked to be totally honest, I will take a look and let you know.
It is, what it is, I guess !.
No point in stressing over it.
Just charge it, drive it and enjoy it - that is my motto.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, I'll set myself a target of 4.5... that's said, most of my time driving it has been at motorway speeds as we went away literally the day we collected the car. I have also been enjoying the instant torque of the electric motor a bit too much... Time to calm down and ease off a bit!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something I have noticed, not sure of this is something exclusive to my ZS, whether it's something to do with my settings etc. I just went for a drive to test the economy figures... Now I know how to do that. I set the display by the Speedo to show me my economy however on a couple of occasions it changed the display to the screen which shows the lane keep assist. Ideally, I'd like it left on the economy screen, or is this some kind of safety feature? I'm guessing it's so the driver is aware if lane keep assist is actively working or not (showing the blue lines) it's a little frustrating because I wanted to monitor my consumption in that particular journey and I kept having to manually change back to the economy screen. Maybe I need to tweak with the settings or disable lane keep assist in order to maintain the screen I wish.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,030 Posts
Well done !.
Short slow journey, down hill with a bit of hypermiling thrown in for good measure hey Neil ?. ;) :ROFLMAO:
It was a 34 mile round trip on minor A roads. What's showing is the outward leg which did include a small amount of downhill. Return leg gave 4.7 m/kWh (which I didn't photograph). It was on that first really hot day of the year.

Zoe would quite easily return 4.9/5 m/kWh. On the way to the golf course the GOm would gain miles as it is all downhill. Not been there much this year, only in the colder weather so haven't had much a chance to see how the MG fares.;)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,030 Posts
Time to calm down and ease off a bit!
Nah, just enjoy it. It can be all consuming trying to get the best efficiency. Just do it now and again when the mood takes.

Reactions: First Draft

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,030 Posts
I never worry about it now, if I have five times the range I need for a journey, which is often the case, I don't have any concerns about the efficiency.
Yeah, it's good to know you've got the skills to eke it out a little bit more for when it get's hairy, but it shouldn't spoil the fun;):):)(y):devilish:

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Yeah, it's good to know you've got the skills to eke it out a little bit more for when it get's hairy, but it shouldn't spoil the fun;):):)(y):devilish:
Remembered to check my consumption this morning ( As Promised ).
First time I have looked at it to be totally honest.
This is the average over every mile that the car has covered from collection.
Not brilliant, but not bad either I don't think ?.
It's a pretty honest figure given across a good number of miles from new.

MG ZS EV Consumption 2020-07-28 at 14.17.20.png

·
Registered
Ioniq
609 Posts
It's extremely difficult to compare between different cars because it's so dependent on the journeys people do, possibly more so than how heavy your right foot is.

In our old Zoe we used to average over 4 mpkwh most of the year, but then we moved house, and with a different (much shorter) commute it seemed to range from only just scraping 3 in winter to about 3.8 in summer.

Even if you floor it everywhere it's still far cheaper to run than any ICE car, so I'd forget about it and enjoy it :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The Ioniq gets a far better efficiency reading on a longer, steady motorway run at 70 than my commute to work which in heavy traffic has lots of slowing down and speeding up from 0-70 on dual carriaways punctuated by roundabouts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's extremely difficult to compare between different cars because it's so dependent on the journeys people do, possibly more so than how heavy your right foot is.
I share a van at work with an older gentleman. We both do the same route on different days and he gets over 70 mpg (diesel MB Citan) I struggle to get 60 mpg.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I believe the MGS does NOT do regen if you're using cruise control! So if you're on one of those long steep downhill bits on a northern motorway, expect the brake discs to get well used, and no extra miles at the bottom. Seems they just used a standard cruise-control system from an ICE, and didn't integrate it all with the EV side of things.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts