Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Once our MG Z S EV comes back from a 3 month repair (CV19 delayed!) we are looking at buying a roof rack - sadly we bought the excite and not the excellence which would have come with roof rack bars.

I must admit at being very confused by the options and What would fit and would wouldnt and, with the MG ZS EV not being a common car, it is hard to find what we actually need.

would anyone be able to shed some light on this? I’d be very grateful - with a newborn our packing list has trebled and even with the ZS EV Fitting in that and a dog will be very hard.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Stowing a child and dog on the roof is not recommended
This is the UK - you will get in major trouble for putting a dog in the roof box. Child not so much.

Regarding OP, if you have no luck with a conventional roof rack there's always sea sucker: Monkey Bars - 2020 Edition

·
Zoe Devotee
9,304 Posts
My go to is roofbox.co.uk. They list the 2018 onwards ZS as having roof rails and only list bars that fit those rails. On that basis I think you might be struggling to find bars for your Exite. Someone is likely to make them eventually which grip around the door jamb (I got this style for Zoe, but they didn't come out until 2016, so I had to cope until then).

Even the UK Petrol Excite has rails. EU ZS EVs come with rails on all models (excite equivalent has no glass roof but does have rails). So its a very limited market for a specific roof bar for the car.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Stowing a child and dog on the roof is not recommended
How funny !.
Hey ....... Have you seen the amount of people and animals they put on a single train in India !.
Makes the tube in London at rush hour, look positively spacious !.
Health and safety ( plus all other things ) have gone straight out of the window.
It's a real shame that you are struggling with regards to being able to install a roof top box.
They hold SO much extra stuff.
My son has one on his VW Tiguan, ideal when we holidayed last year with his two little girls in Yorkshire.
It's not the space for the kids, it's ALL the stuff they want to take with them !.
Bikes, toys beach chairs etc etc, the list is endless.
I did find the extra items on the Exclusive over the Excite, to be worth that extra outlay when ordering.
I think it was an extra £2,000 - and yeah that is a lot of money if you are on a really tight budget, but if you can't retro fit the items in the future, then it is money well spent in the long run I guess ?.
Never mind, it is what it is.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would think both models have the same fitting points as its unlikely they would make a completely different roof so I suspect there's nothing stopping the Exite having Exclusive rails fitted

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I would think both models have the same fitting points as its unlikely they would make a completely different roof so I suspect there's nothing stopping the Exite having Exclusive rails fitted
I agree, but the cost of this adaption could be expensive !.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,304 Posts
I would have happily had an Excite if it had roof rails. I've used my roof box on my last 2 cars, Zoe was a pain as I'd neglected to see if bars were available until after I got the car. Then I had to wait a year for a firm to release some. Torture but my oldest was only 3 and youngest just born so I reasoned I could manage. When we could fit the roof box it was so much easier for trips.

So while I had to stretch myself to afford the Exclusive because I HAD to have roof rails its proven worth while. Covid-19 has saved me some money, no more lunches out, no visit to the pub, no buying tech/games etc because I could. My biggest expense the last 4 months has been buying books for the kids.

Reactions: Carty

·
Zoe Devotee
9,304 Posts
This looks like it could work...

maybe contact them and check but looks designed for the direct to roof situation you have.
Good luck

No, I don't think it will, those are for the old early 2000's Rover 45/MG ZS model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Once our MG Z S EV comes back from a 3 month repair (CV19 delayed!) we are looking at buying a roof rack - sadly we bought the excite and not the excellence which would have come with roof rack bars.

I must admit at being very confused by the options and What would fit and would wouldnt and, with the MG ZS EV not being a common car, it is hard to find what we actually need.

would anyone be able to shed some light on this? I’d be very grateful - with a newborn our packing list has trebled and even with the ZS EV Fitting in that and a dog will be very hard.

thanks in advance!
Hi, I'm having same issue - did you get anywhere with this? Thx

·
Zoe Devotee
9,304 Posts
Hi, I'm having same issue - did you get anywhere with this? Thx
I think the issue is UK only, so its unlikely a roof bar firm will make bars to clamp around the door apertures.

If you need roof bar options on the ZS you should definitely look to spend the extra on an exclusive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone, my name is Lee and I've got a eZS on order for delivery September.

On the Mgevs.com forums there is a thread about adding ZS roof rails to an eZS excite. I believe they were ordered from aliexpress.

They look good just maybe a little short.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
The number of Excite models sold compared to the Exclusive is tiny, so there will be very little motivation for any company to make one that fits. Unless a Thule foot can be found that will fit.

Reactions: Sandy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts