Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New MG ZS EV owner and have a podpoint charger at home.

I have an issue charging, i unlock the car plug in the MG ZS EV to the podpoint home charger, it locks the car ...recognises the car is connected on the dash but says connected but not charging. The light on the podpoint flashes green.

i have spoken to podpoint, reset the power no luck and they see no faults with the unit.
They say its an issue they are working on with mg and podpoint and have taken my vin number to add to the list.

i have only charged once (seems by fluke) and have a car sat on the drive with very limited battery left.

has anyone experienced this issue or have a workaround.

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sounds like 'smartgate' again.

The flashing green is what I see when my car is full. Have you tried plugging in very quickly after turning off the ignition?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,526 Posts
What happens when you plug the Granny charger in?

Have you got enough charge to reach your nearest public fast charge point?

The green flashing light means that the car is correctly connected but not drawing any charge. #smartgate was a problem with early cars where they went to sleep before a delayed charge started but shouldn't affect a car being charged soon after being turned off.

My guess is the usual contactor problem on the Rolec unit, but let's wait and see.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello,

I have an issue charging, i unlock the car plug in the MG ZS EV to the podpoint home charger, it locks the car ...recognises the car is connected on the dash but says connected but not charging. The light on the podpoint flashes green.
Are you sure the car is locked? I don't think plugging in the charger to the car locks it, you need to lock the car with the remote or the door button.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure the car is locked? I don't think plugging in the charger to the car locks it, you need to lock the car with the remote or the door button.
Yes pressed the lock button with the remote. Thanks for checking :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What happens when you plug the Granny charger in?

Have you got enough charge to reach your nearest public fast charge point?

The green flashing light means that the car is correctly connected but not drawing any charge. #smartgate was a problem with early cars where they went to sleep before a delayed charge started but shouldn't affect a car being charged soon after being turned off.

My guess is the usual contactor problem on the Rolec unit, but let's wait and see.
So just tried granny connector and this is working, could take it to a fast charger location but wanting to try home charging first if it helps the diagnostic could try this weekend. Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is the same issue that I see on some of the chargers at work. It is 100% a charger issue, and not the car. The identified dodgy chargers at work are never used so it affects other cars as well. If the granny charger is working then there is a charger issue. Time to call the people who installed it for you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a podpoint and mostly charging successfully. Had a couple of times when it refused to start charging but always get their in the end.
I turn off the car, plug in and then lock the car.
I also sometimes plug in and then lock the car with my remote when I go to bed to delay recharge from the evening peak demand.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,526 Posts
The car cannot tell the difference between a granny charger and a charge point, so as above it's definitely the charge point or the lead. Is your unit a tethered lead or a removable lead from another source? If the former it's all Rolec's problem, if the latter you need to see if the car charges if you use the lead at a public charge point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The car cannot tell the difference between a granny charger and a charge point, so as above it's definitely the charge point or the lead. Is your unit a tethered lead or a removable lead from another source? If the former it's all Rolec's problem, if the latter you need to see if the car charges if you use the lead at a public charge point.
Its a tethered lead connected to the unit :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hello,

i have spoken to podpoint, reset the power no luck and they see no faults with the unit.
They say its an issue they are working on with mg and podpoint and have taken my vin number to add to the list.

i have only charged once (seems by fluke) and have a car sat on the drive with very limited battery left.

Have you made sure your car is completely shut down and you have locked the car.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The OP has posted a total of 6 times to Speak EV, all in this thread and all about a month ago in the space of about 2 days, with no other posts to any thread. And yet according to his profile he has been present 10 days ago.
My conclusion is that he's either solved it or got bored with the topic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

Make sure when you plug the car with the type 2 cable you plug the cable in the pod point side first then the car. I have just received the MG EV 2 weeks age and charged once using my podpoint with no issues, I did do the complete opposite and plug car to cable first then charger and it did not work properly, thought it was charging but it was not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Make sure when you plug the car with the type 2 cable you plug the cable in the pod point side first then the car. I have just received the MG EV 2 weeks age and charged once using my podpoint with no issues, I did do the complete opposite and plug car to cable first then charger and it did not work properly, thought it was charging but it was not.
I have a Podpoint. The MG is my 3rd EV. It does charge, only when locked. I occasionally have to power cycle the Podpoint and once they completely swapped it out under warranty. I argued that both my car and cable worked elsewhere and therefore the problem was with the Podpoint.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,861 Posts
I use a Tesco PodPoint fairly regularly and do the opposite with no problems. (it's easier for me to do that way without having loose cabling) You do have to release the car end first or the PodPoint won't release the cable.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,957 Posts
It does charge, only when locked.
There is an update for that. I was like you until last week when my car went in for a service and the garage updated it (I didn't even ask for it). Pleasantly surprised when I got home after the service and plugged in and the car locked the AC socket and started charging before I'd locked the car. I hadn't missed this feature until I got it back lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts