Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
a bit slow and boring, but some interesting stats eventually. Bjorn will no doubt be posting the test drive video soon, so that should be useful.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Five colours and 85kW charging ?! I know we've only had the four colours as the dark blue was missing from the list and it still reads 50kW on the MG website. More confusion.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
Five colours and 85kW charging ?! I know we've only had the four colours as the dark blue was missing from the list and it still reads 50kW on the MG website. More confusion.
99% of UK rapids (excluding Tesla, irrelevant!) are max 50kw. No point in confusing the buying public by saying up to 85kw. MG are aimed at a different mark to most EVs, they are targeted at typical (modern) MG buyers, thrifty types who see the MG as a step up from a Dacia but still affordable.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks, Clearly I know naff all about CCS. Simple AC charging for the win, go Zoe go !
Just been looking around on Zapmap and the nearest >50kW charger to me is in Milton Keynes. Maybe if I get a four hour test drive I'll give it a go. :unsure:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Although it is very good to be able to charge over 50kW, in reality, we know MG charges only around 65 at the peak, so not a huge deal really...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Although it is very good to be able to charge over 50kW, in reality, we know MG charges only around 65 at the peak, so not a huge deal really...
Nope, the MG was recorded as charging at up to 77 kW , but this depends on battery state, temperature and battery conditioning, as well as available power.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Did I hear correctly that they expect 4,500 to be delivered in Europe (excluding the U.K.)? So the U.K. is a significant market if 2,000 are expected to be sold. On pricing they seemed to be saying that they were competitive- 20% less than a Kona and so do not expect prices to fall.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
Nope, the MG was recorded as charging at up to 77 kW , but this depends on battery state, temperature and battery conditioning, as well as available power.
The guess is that 85kw will be at very low SOC. The profile for the MG (as show by Bjorn) is pretty steep drop as it charges. But I suppose the point is it can charge pretty rapidly up to 80% and that'll get you another fairly easy 100miles.

I was interested in 1 FB post where someone getting a test drive went out with a ZS that was basically flat and broke down on route. The pushed it into a 50kw site (petrol station) and it took on 30miles in 6mins. So that was from 0% SOC, so presuming it was about 3.5mpkwh (seems fairly typical from what I've seen on test drives around town and testing acceleration) with my rudimentary math that's about 85kw. Adding 30miles quick is often all you need for that last push home. I've often had to stop 10miles from home for that last top up to get home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts