Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not just trying to start a thread with an unintelligible mix of letters for title. This looks like a good deal for someone with my drive profile and I've put a deposit down. Haven't seen the car in the flesh but have watched a few reviews and read what I could find and do still have a few questions. Would be good to have a place to share info on the car though. Can I start?
  • Heated front seats in Exclusive but not Excite model? No heated steering wheel in either?
  • We think HVAC rather than resistive heater?
  • Air conditioning rather than climate control in both?
  • No way to set charging, heating or air con through timers?
  • Any vents directed to rear seat passengers?
  • Any 'driver only mode'?
  • Can we set charging to set max val e.g. 80% or just to 100%?
  • No app for UK market at launch? Will car come with hardware \ SIM etc. to enable this in the future?
  • Does charge port look sufficiently robust or likely to break? How good is it likely to be at keeping out elements?
  • Assume cable is locked in place when car is locked?
  • I understand MG badge glows when charging? Any way of estimating charge level from outside the car e.g. 3 indicator lights like in Leaf and Soul?
  • No arm rest or cup holders for rear passengers?
  • Car more than 1 phone be paired with the car?
  • Since it has Apple Carplay and Android Auto I can use Waze and Spotify from my phone right?
  • Can we play music from memory stick and if so what formats are accommodated?
  • Do USB ports charge phone?
  • What brand tyres are fitted as standard?
  • Guess it comes with a tube of gunge and an inflation kit and no option for spare wheel?
  • Any 'curry hooks' in passenger compartment or boot?
  • Why is speedo marked to 140mph when car is limited to 89mph?
  • Does navigation include poi such as charge points and can these me updated?
  • Any info on charging speed profile (at what point does charging slow significantly on rapid chargers)?
  • What info is displayed in car about charge rates, time to complete charge etc.?
  • What warnings are given for low charge?
  • Anywhere to store RFID cards, change for parking, sunglasses etc.?
  • Auto wipers \ auto lights?
  • Does car 'remember' settings (power mode, regen, pilot etc.) or does everything need to be reset each time?
  • Any idea on service intervals and cost?
  • Assume comes with one year breakdown cover?
Don't think any of these are show stoppers but would be good to know.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why not throw these questions at your dealer.?......dealer training takes place in a couple of weeks - 13/14 Aug, I believe, so he could check out your list for you then.

I’ve sent my list to mine.....

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. The app looks really impressive but the fact that it is not currently available in the UK even though the petrol car has been over here for a year or more does not give me much confidence that it will be available for the EV any time soon. The Soul I currently drive has an app in North America that has never made it over here.

I've not got an obvious local dealer. I did pop into one but they were pretty clueless to be honest. Things might improve after training, but I suspect I'm likely to get more accurate answers from this forum than most dealers.

Good news on tyres, spare wheel option and charging display.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks guys. The app looks really impressive but the fact that it is not currently available in the UK even though the petrol car has been over here for a year or more does not give me much confidence that it will be available for the EV any time soon. The Soul I currently drive has an app in North America that has never made it over here.

I've not got an obvious local dealer. I did pop into one but they were pretty clueless to be honest. Things might improve after training, but I suspect I'm likely to get more accurate answers from this forum than most dealers.

Good news on tyres, spare wheel option and charging display.
The petrol version was also updated to support it. It is not the same petrol version sold in UK today.

·
Registered
597 Posts
On The MG ZS EV FB page. Its been said that the Car has

• Michelin tyres
  • The app will be available Q2 2020
  • There are slots for charging cards on the righthand side of s/wheel if I recall correctly
  • Service interval is 15k miles @Miles Roberts Can clarify but I think it was a cost of £90 for 1st 3 services and £350 I think it was for the 4th as its got something to do with coolant changes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
On The MG ZS EV FB page. Its been said that the Car has

• Michelin tyres
  • The app will be available Q2 2020
  • There are slots for charging cards on the righthand side of s/wheel if I recall correctly
  • Service interval is 15k miles @Miles Roberts Can clarify but I think it was a cost of £90 for 1st 3 services and £350 I think it was for the 4th as its got something to do with coolant changes.
Looks like service is how they'll make up money long term as warranty only valid if it serviced by the dealer. 90GBP for pollen filter change and washer fluid top-up is a bit too much IMO.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Looks like service is how they'll make up money long term as warranty only valid if it serviced by the dealer. 90GBP for pollen filter change and washer fluid top-up is a bit too much IMO.
Cheap compared to Nissan’s £159.

You are not paying for the parts as much as you are paying for the ‘service ‘the dealer provides, and he has to pay for his staff, equipment and property. Not cheap.

That is why Independant garages are cheaper-their overheads are much less.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More info on service costs. As @buck eejit suggests interval is 15000 miles or 12 months, cost £90 for 1st, 3rd, and 5th service which are basically just inspections. £165 for 2nd service, £319 for 4th service including change to transmission fluid and coolant, making £754 for first 5 but MG may offer a service plan.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It does have a digital speedo in the middle of the two clock, so need to check how easy it is to access that from the menu, if a digital speedo is important to you.

Does it have a speed limiter?

Doesn't seem to have a "Battery % remaining" indicator which is very useful on the LEAF, seems to have 7 LED pips instead, horses for courses I suppose.

·
Registered
797 Posts
It does have a digital speedo in the middle of the two clock, so need to check how easy it is to access that from the menu, if a digital speedo is important to you.

Does it have a speed limiter?

Doesn't seem to have a "Battery % remaining" indicator which is very useful on the LEAF, seems to have 7 LED pips instead, horses for courses I suppose.
One of the switches on the centre console is labelled "Battery" - It replaces the digital speedo with a "Remaining Range" display.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd like to see proper neutral-light photos of the paint options so i can see what the pimlico blue looks like, along with he pearlescent white and the triple-coat red.
I've looked a various images of the blue and red but it's not easy to tell from them what the actual colours will look like.

1 - 20 of 383 Posts