Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

281 - 300 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I'm test driving dealers demonstrator (which they received today) on Thursday. Will feedback in the afternoon. I expect this week will see a lot
Please do that !.
If you get a chance, can you see if the heater will blow hot air into the cabin while it is still on change !.
This could be very useful when charging in the winter time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm test driving dealers demonstrator (which they received today) on Thursday. Will feedback in the afternoon. I expect this week will see a lot of test drives.
Dealer mentioned they couldn't register the car yet, but they have trade plates.
Samwellman - if you get chance can ask them if the body is galvanised as there has been a deafening silence so far for what should be a simple question to answer.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
Please do that !.
If you get a chance, can you see if the heater will blow hot air into the cabin while it is still on change !.
This could be very useful when charging in the winter time.
We've been told heating works on rapid charge, with doors unlocked. It also works on 7kw charge but only if you lock the doors. No doubt you'll have issue with this, many seem to, not sure why myself.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Here is my concern, if the car is charging at a remote 7kw charger location at night time and you want to remain inside the car for safety reasons - the door have to be locked ?.
Will movement inside the car set off the alarm system ????.
My guess is, it would !.
The alarm is armed when the doors are locked, unless you can deselect the interior sensors somehow ????.
Yes - No ???.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
Here is my concern, if the car is charging at a remote 7kw charger location at night time and you want to remain inside the car for safety reasons - the door have to be locked ?.
Will movement inside the car set off the alarm system ????.
My guess is, it would !.
The alarm is armed when the doors are locked, unless you can deselect the interior sensors somehow ????.
Yes - No ???.
No interior motion sensors so no it won't set off the alarm. Why would you want to sit for any length of time at night on a 7kw post? I'm sure at worst this would be in an emergency in which case locking yourself in would be preferable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We've been told heating works on rapid charge, with doors unlocked. It also works on 7kw charge but only if you lock the doors. No doubt you'll have issue with this, many seem to, not sure why myself.
Because there's no way to precondition the car before a long journey in cold conditions.

One of the great things about most other EVs is that you set timers that defrost and heat the car just before you set off. So you leave with a full battery (which will have a reduced range because of the temperature) and will already have a warm, defrosted car which means you don't use any battery getting it up to temperature.

The MG's range of 160 miles WLTP is OK, rather than "great". It doesn't have a heat pump so keeping it warm will sap the battery more and you're starting off in a freezing cold car.

On an icy day, the range could be 120 miles, maybe less just because of battery chemistry and rolling resistance. Lose another 10 miles warming it up and 10 more miles an hour keeping the car defrosted and you're looking at stopping for your first rapid charge about an hour after setting off. And if the charger is ICEd, busy or broken you're getting into issues you really don't want, especially if the family is in the car.

Fixing the lack of a heat pump, or te battery size, is clearly a big engineering issue. But having the heaters on while charging should just be a trivial software tweak at next to no cost.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
What worries me about this MG is the impact any sort of decent speed will have - its not exactly aerodynamic, nor will it be light, so is it only really suitable for the school run / local shopping trips ?

the price is brilliant for an EV, but is that because really it's a car with not much use ?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
What worries me about this MG is the impact any sort of decent speed will have - its not exactly aerodynamic, nor will it be light, so is it only really suitable for the school run / local shopping trips ?

the price is brilliant for an EV, but is that because really it's a car with not much use ?
It should manage 120 miles at 70mph. Slow down to 60mph and I expect 150 miles should be achievable.

How many school runs are 60 miles down a motorway?

·
Registered
597 Posts

Mg claim I think 235 miles of City driving. So, if your school runs are inner city or large town driving you will have ample range

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Because there's no way to precondition the car before a long journey in cold conditions.

One of the great things about most other EVs is that you set timers that defrost and heat the car just before you set off. So you leave with a full battery (which will have a reduced range because of the temperature) and will already have a warm, defrosted car which means you don't use any battery getting it up to temperature.

The MG's range of 160 miles WLTP is OK, rather than "great". It doesn't have a heat pump so keeping it warm will sap the battery more and you're starting off in a freezing cold car.

On an icy day, the range could be 120 miles, maybe less just because of battery chemistry and rolling resistance. Lose another 10 miles warming it up and 10 more miles an hour keeping the car defrosted and you're looking at stopping for your first rapid charge about an hour after setting off. And if the charger is ICEd, busy or broken you're getting into issues you really don't want, especially if the family is in the car.

Fixing the lack of a heat pump, or te battery size, is clearly a big engineering issue. But having the heaters on while charging should just be a trivial software tweak at next to no cost.
I have to agree !.
My current VW hybrid missed out on the App also.
As a work around in the winter, I will pop out to the car and hit the start button ( keyless entry ) then crack up the heater control and heated front seats.
Return indoors to my desk, which is about 5 feet from my car.
Wait about five mins and then return to the car which by now is really toasty !.
It hits the range a bit, but who cares !.
I will exchange the hit on the range for getting into a frost free car.
I hope the MG will perform the same trick, it’s not ideal - but it’s works for me !.
My question is this, will it allow to run the heating WHILE still pulling charge from the wall box ?.
If so, the hit on the range can be reduced a little.
If the car has to be locked, not sure why that is then this maybe an issue if the key is inside the car !.
My VW will allow the car to be heated if you leave the key next to the gear selector.
Of course the car is still open, but this poses no security risk as if I open the window, I can almost touch the car it is that close !.

·
Journeyman Human
293 Posts
Samwellman - if you get chance can ask them if the body is galvanised as there has been a deafening silence so far for what should be a simple question to answer.
You'll not get an answer, (unless the salesman decides to just lie and say it is).Miles at Chorley can't and he's got to be one of MG's favourite dealers! My local dealer can't get anyone to answer him either and my own requests to both MG customer services and Daniel Gregorious, head of marketing have been ignored.

At this point we have to assume it isn't galvanised, or depends on steel supply available to and used by MG in China which may vary between both pre galvanised and non galvanised rolls of sheet, but this is just conjecture and not really helpful.

Again though, the clue is the perforation warranty, manufacturers using galvanised steel throughout universally have 10 or 12 year warranties, usually with no requirement for annual inspections. Even in the 80's non galvanised VW's had 6 year warranties with no inspection requirement, so the 7 year MG warranty with inspection caveats would tend to indicate it's probably old school plain steel on at least some of the batches of cars. .

·
Registered
302 Posts
You'll not get an answer, (unless the salesman decides to just lie and say it is).Miles at Chorley can't and he's got to be one of MG's favourite dealers! My local dealer can't get anyone to answer him either and my own requests to both MG customer services and Daniel Gregorious, head of marketing have been ignored.

At this point we have to assume it isn't galvanised, or depends on steel supply available to and used by MG in China which may vary between both pre galvanised and non galvanised rolls of sheet, but this is just conjecture and not really helpful.

Again though, the clue is the perforation warranty, manufacturers using galvanised steel throughout universally have 10 or 12 year warranties, usually with no requirement for annual inspections. Even in the 80's non galvanised VW's had 6 year warranties with no inspection requirement, so the 7 year MG warranty with inspection caveats would tend to indicate it's probably old school plain steel on at least some of the batches of cars. .
Thanks for your comments- yes I take the view that no response probably means they do not have a positive answer.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Have you seen this just up today its quite interesting.
MG ZS EV 400 mile Electric Road Trip Part 1 | Goodwood Revival to The Lake District
Some very interesting points in this review.
Here is somebody who is driving the car as if it was a petrol car.
Making no really effort to conserve the range, which is brilliant.
It does give us a really good insight on how the car performs in all different types of roads & speed settings.
When taking it steady, the car appears to re-gen to a good level that almost no loss of range is being seen on the GOM.
It will be very interesting to see what type of range they achieve on this road trip.

·
Registered
91 Posts

I've posted already on FB page, but I'll also post it here:

They're not going to tell anything, because there is nothing to tell really. Even if it is made from galvanized steel ("galvanized body panels" as they state in their marketing paperwork for other cars), this will not prevent rust on joints as we saw from ICE users. Or they can say it is made from galvanized steel which will not mean much. What important is how it is actually done, what's the thickness of zinc coating etc. Nobody is going to provide us with that info. Pretty much all China-made cars I've checked are using cold zinc galvanizing paint method, which is the worst protection available, but it is cheapest. That's they want to inspect the car every year.

·
Journeyman Human
293 Posts
I've posted already on FB page, but I'll also post it here:

They're not going to tell anything, because there is nothing to tell really. Even if it is made from galvanized steel ("galvanized body panels" as they state in their marketing paperwork for other cars), this will not prevent rust on joints as we saw from ICE users. Or they can say it is made from galvanized steel which will not mean much. What important is how it is actually done, what's the thickness of zinc coating etc. Nobody is going to provide us with that info. Pretty much all China-made cars I've checked are using cold zinc galvanizing paint method, which is the worst protection available, but it is cheapest. That's they want to inspect the car every year.
Not familiar with the term cold zinc galvanising, but if it's just painting with a zinc rich paint, yes, next to useless.

The only method suitable for automotive sheet metal is electroplating. even a very low micron thickness is very effective in combination with proper painting, sealing and cavity wax injection. Doesn't look like the ZS is getting much of any of that in out of sight areas though :(

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not familiar with the term cold zinc galvanising, but if it's just painting with a zinc rich paint, yes, next to useless.

The only method suitable for automotive sheet metal is electroplating. even a very low micron thickness is very effective in combination with proper painting, sealing and cavity wax injection. Doesn't look like the ZS is getting much of any of that in out of sight areas though :(
Yeah, it is not a zinc coating as such, just some zinc mixed with a base layer. It sounds great for marketing as there is a word galvanising :D

SUrelyelectroplating is probably good as well as hot, but one is quite technologically advanced and another one is quite expensive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So how are Toyota and VW doing with their rust problems?
Replies Great, I'll do this on my Touran. It's a banger now so no big deal if not a great repair. Yours looks very good though! My rust coming through bad now. I think the rust attacks from the inside too, so will remove any on the inside of the arch, Kurust it and then slap some waxoyl in there??

Good video, thanks. Mine is rusting the same both sides and also around the boot VW badge. I have heard the wing rust is because of the wheel liners rubbing grit from the inside, so I wonder if it will just rust through again?

PT2 Simon's dealer, Isaac Agnew in Belfast, sent a claim to Volkswagen under the 12-year anti-perforation warranty. Five weeks and many enquiries later, Simon had heard nothing, so he contacted Helpdesk.

Answer We asked VW why it was taking so long to sort a known problem. Shortly after, VW customer relations told Simon that the damage wasn't covered by the anti-perforation warranty because it was caused by a mechanical defect, not defective paint or bodywork.

Toyota Rav. Rust problem RAV4WORLD.com.

'ToyoNoob' sept 2016.
3. No probs except some under the RAV rust. Clean title, no accidents.
4. Had it inspected by a Toyota dealership
5. The Service advisor called me, told me nothing was wrong, everything sounded good, no leaks, tranny strong....only issue was some under the car rust but she specifically asked the technician "would you buy this car" He said yes.
6. Obviously they have no dog in the fight, they were getting paid either way and I'm out of their state so I would never be their customer besides this inspection.

CarGurus.com Rave4 with rusting busing rodes1 Answer

I have a 2012 Toyota Rav4, and the control bushing are rusted(front under both driver and passenger sides)The mileage is roughly 7900 it is pretty new considering it is not being driven much.
Answer
Bob answered 3 years ago

I wouldn't pay too much attention to surface rust underneath a vehicle these days.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I’m not worried about the rust or warranty. If it’s stuff that will fail an MOT then it’s a mostly a consumable, which no manufacturer in their right mind would warrant.

The MG is (slightly) lighter than my Leaf 40, and has slightly worse aerodynamics I suspect. However it has a battery that is roughly 6kWh bigger. It has more torque than my Leaf 40 (but the Leaf has slightly more power). The MG is bigger & has a bigger boot. But it is shorter than the Leaf.

The Leaf has a passive cooled battery but a heat pump. The MG a water cooled & heated battery but no heat pump. I expect the MG will have better range in the cooler weather.

The MG appears to have no EV related stuff at all. The Leaf has plenty, but I personally don’t use any.

The Leaf has an app which rarely works, the MG no app, but the possibility of something in the future.

The Leaf has a %age screen as the GOM is not very accurate. The MG has a GOM which so far, appears to be reasonable from the reports I have seen/heard.

I could go on, but both cars have their pros & cons.

I will be buying the MG. I suspect the PCP for my mileage will be silly. The HP (worst case scenario) is about what I’m paying for my Leaf, which has enough equity in it for the deposit after 18 months. I will apply for a cheap bank loan....

281 - 300 of 383 Posts