Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

301 - 320 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m not worried about the rust or warranty. If it’s stuff that will fail an MOT then it’s a mostly a consumable, which no manufacturer in their right mind would warrant.

The MG is (slightly) lighter than my Leaf 40, and has slightly worse aerodynamics I suspect. However it has a battery that is roughly 6kWh bigger. It has more torque than my Leaf 40 (but the Leaf has slightly more power). The MG is bigger & has a bigger boot. But it is shorter than the Leaf.

The Leaf has a passive cooled battery but a heat pump. The MG a water cooled & heated battery but no heat pump. I expect the MG will have better range in the cooler weather.

The MG appears to have no EV related stuff at all. The Leaf has plenty, but I personally don’t use any.

The Leaf has an app which rarely works, the MG no app, but the possibility of something in the future.

The Leaf has a %age screen as the GOM is not very accurate. The MG has a GOM which so far, appears to be reasonable from the reports I have seen/heard.

I could go on, but both cars have their pros & cons.

I will be buying the MG. I suspect the PCP for my mileage will be silly. The HP (worst case scenario) is about what I’m paying for my Leaf, which has enough equity in it for the deposit after 18 months. I will apply for a cheap bank loan....
Hi Mike do think your Ohme cable will be a good answer to the charging problem. I will have 2 BEVs soon and there maybe issues about charging 2 at the same time, especially as we have Storage Heaters. I charge a lot from my solar panels on the granny, but these wont be so effective in the winter. I have an electric guy who put in the panels (who is buying the MG) looking into it for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is from the “RAC Drive” car review

It reviews the MG ZS and the MG ZS EV.
The good news for the MG ZS (Petrol ZS) is that it’s better on Performance, Comfort, Styling, Build, Equipment, Insurance and Economy!!!
OK I get the insurance bit, but ECONOMY! The Petrol is at least three times the cost per mile and Performance isn’t in the same league!
The reviews are two years apart but the Petrol doesn’t have any of the new safety features
Its the same car, same interior, almost the same styling.

What do we learn from this, Don’t trust journalists

MG ZS EV.png
MG ZS Petrol.png

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
. It also works on 7kw charge but only if you lock the doors. No doubt you'll have issue with this,
My question is this, will it allow to run the heating WHILE still pulling charge from the wall box ?.
Which part of that didn't you understand?

I expect 150 miles should be achievable.
so basically you're agreeing with me - only suitable for school runs !!
Please show me the region in the UK where the school catchment area spans a 75mile radius from your house?

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
Or should that be don't trust those who post 2 reviews 2 years apart?

The ZS Petrol will have been judged on its contemporaries. So the likes of the petrol Dacia Duster.

The ZS EV will be compared with the likes of the Nissan Leaf, its closes current contemporary.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

The good news for the MG ZS (Petrol ZS) is that it’s better on Performance, Comfort, Styling, Build, Equipment, Insurance and Economy!!!
OK I get the insurance bit, but ECONOMY! The Petrol is at least three times the cost per mile and Performance isn’t in the same league!
The reviews are two years apart but the Petrol doesn’t have any of the new safety features

View attachment 122945 View attachment 122946
That can’t be right surly ????.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Mike do think your Ohme cable will be a good answer to the charging problem. I will have 2 BEVs soon and there maybe issues about charging 2 at the same time, especially as we have Storage Heaters. I charge a lot from my solar panels on the granny, but these wont be so effective in the winter. I have an electric guy who put in the panels (who is buying the MG) looking into it for me.
Robson if you have solar and BEV you should be looking at the Zappi, you could even have two. They can be set to only use pure solar, some solar and the rest grid but more important for you is that they can be set for a maximum grid consumption which does look at what is being pulled by the house as a total. So no matter what you don't overload your consumer unit. Although the OHME is probably a good (I've never seen one in use), for not much more you do get one hell of a charger.
If you use the OLEV grant it probably won't cost you any more.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
That can’t be right surly ????.
Because the 2 reviews are not side by side comparable.... they are comparable in their sector. So the MG ZS isn't in the same sector as the ZS EV as such. They may occupy the same size class (obviously) but they have been tested against their closest peers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So you're saying that a BMW 530 petrol can't be compared against the diesel version ? too much EV protectionism me thinks !!!
They can be but you only need to look at the performance score to realise they they are not comparable. The EV is markedly better, yet scores lower.

So the RAC either are comparing EVs in a category, they guess the scores or the ZS ICE model is now a lower score if it was re-reviewed.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
So you're saying that a BMW 530 petrol can't be compared against the diesel version ? too much EV protectionism me thinks !!!
Your only reading what you want to see.

The 2 reviews are 2 years apart, they are not comparing the ZS Petrol with the ZS EV. They are testing CONTEMPORARIES at that moment in time. its not protectionism, the friggin' ZS EV didn't exist at that time.

You want to see the ZS EV compared with a Leaf? Or would you prefer it compared with a Dacia Duster or Mazda CX5. I think if your in the market for an EV seeing a comparison of your chosen EV against the lasted ICE wouldn't help you one bit.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I didn't actually watch the videos, I've watched far too many of them - I was just reacting to your last post (
So the MG ZS isn't in the same sector as the ZS EV as such
)
, and I just read it as if you were saying the 2 actual MG cars weren't comparable sorry. It's a good job I'm not on Twitter, I'd be blamed for Brexit going wrong by now !!

·
Registered
41 Posts
It hits the range a bit, but who cares !.
My question is this, will it allow to run the heating WHILE still pulling charge from the wall box ?.
If so, the hit on the range can be reduced a little.
If the car has to be locked, not sure why that is then this maybe an issue if the key is inside the car !.
As far as we know at present, no, it cannot heat while being charged from the wall box.

That's because it will only accept AC charging if it's locked and you can't lock it with the "engine running" unless you're inside it.

It's possible that maybe it will work if you lock it from the inside - perhaps leave the window open so you can lean in? But this has not been tested yet. Someone on fb said he'd give it a try this weekend.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
We've been told heating works on rapid charge, with doors unlocked. It also works on 7kw charge but only if you lock the doors. No doubt you'll have issue with this, many seem to, not sure why myself.
As far as we know at present, no, it cannot heat while being charged from the wall box.

That's because it will only accept AC charging if it's locked and you can't lock it with the "engine running" unless you're inside it.

It's possible that maybe it will work if you lock it from the inside - perhaps leave the window open so you can lean in? But this has not been tested yet. Someone on fb said he'd give it a try this weekend.
We appear to have a difference of opinion here members.
Question, why can't you lock the doors with the spare key, in order to fool the car then ?.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
Why would you want to heat it when your outside with the doors unlocked?

Please review page 6 of this quick guide before you publish incorrect info.

You can indeed use the heater with the motor off. You can only charge on 7kw AC when the doors are locked. This does not mean you can't suddenly use the heater.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Interesting bit of info in that document. I hadn't realised that you can press the start button twice to open up more functionality without pressing the brake.

I don't see any specific mention of it needing to be locked to charge at all though. Also you comment of
You can only charge on 7kw AC when the doors are locked
kind of indicates that when on CCS you don't need the doors locked which sounds odd.
As the charge port lock seems to be on the same circuit as the door locks and it make safety sense to not to allow charge if the charge port isn't locked then the doors would also need to be locked.

None of my local dealers have their demo cars yet. :confused:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Interesting bit of info in that document. I hadn't realised that you can press the start button twice to open up more functionality without pressing the brake.

I don't see any specific mention of it needing to be locked to charge at all though. Also you comment of
You can only charge on 7kw AC when the doors are locked
kind of indicates that when on CCS you don't need the doors locked which sounds odd.
As the charge port lock seems to be on the same circuit as the door locks and it make safety sense to not to allow charge if the charge port isn't locked then the doors would also need to be locked.

None of my local dealers have their demo cars yet. :confused:

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
AC charging is controlled by the car. So charge wont start until the socket is locked (most cars, like Zoe autolock when you poke the cable in, regardless of if the car is locked). ZS doesn't have that so you have to manually lock, some cars are like this. Someone trips the post "your" cable remains locked to the car.

CCS is controlled by the charger unit, so it locks the cable to your car, and consequently unlocks when your charge is finished (allowing for fair reasons of foul for others to unplug the tethered cable). Someone trips the post the cable unlocks from your car but is still attached to the rapid.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Why would you want to heat it when your outside with the doors unlocked?

Please review page 6 of this quick guide before you publish incorrect info.

Because I want to heat and defrost the car using mains electricity and not precious, limted, power from the battery.

I don't read page 6 as indicating I can put the car into the "heater available" mode, switch on the heater, then lock the car from the outside so that mains power flows while I either scrape the car clean or go indoors and have a coffee and wait.

Do you think that's what is meant on page 6?

·
Registered
146 Posts

View attachment 122945 View attachment 122946
Since the EV has greater equipment level, recognised better build, better handling and performance, the same styling, and better economy - this can only be deliberate.

301 - 320 of 383 Posts