Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

321 - 340 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Rust along the edge of the sill bottom at 16:08 ?
I have just played it back more than a few times, I can't make my mind up if it's rust or not really ?????.
Wait ....what is that rough area at 16.16 !!.
I really can't tell if its the blue body coloured paint, that has been flashed over the top of some underbody sealant or is it rust, surly not !.
Well spotted @CasperStorm.
The jury is still out on this one !.

·
Journeyman Human
294 Posts
Nah, I think it's just dirt. I will be interested to see how the battery mounts fare over time though. With a naked aluminium casting that appears to be bolted up tightly to a a scantily painted steel body it might suffer considerable bi-metallic corrosion at that point. Good practice would have been to use isolating rubber/plastic gaskets at the mounting points. A good spraying of low viscosity cavity wax around these joints to seal out moisture would be a good plan.

I'm a little more confident that it might actually be galvanised after all now though as the EU models are getting a 10 year perforation warranty. I really don't think they would dare offer this if it wasn't galvanised.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think the latest review is quite good by Bjorn and benefits by not coming from a dealer wanting to flog a car or YouTubers who are being given preferential treatment / have ordered one. Bjorn has driven lots of EVs and seems to have no axe to grind. It reinforces my view that MG has created a good value for money SUV electric vehicle at the cheaper / low cost end of the market with the sort of range that you would expect. But it is a first attempt car built to a price by a manufacturer that is still learning / an early adopter. Just like the early Japanese or Korean petrol cars people will buy them because they offer value for money. However, it will come with flaws and there are better EVs but you will not get them for the same price. In normal circumstances you could chose to between a better second hand EV or the MG EV for the same price. However, for the next couple of years the choice is limited.
I will wait to drive one and will make my mind up then but if I do decide it will be on a pcp because in three/ four years there will be better cars and more second hand supply of better cars. MG will probably have better EVs by then.

·
Registered
97 Posts

It's good for the money but the software really seems to let it down.
Charging speed is awful, indicates there is no buffer and you shouldn't really use it above 80-90%... Not that it is any kind of surprise, but Bjorn just confirmed it.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I think the latest review is quite good by Bjorn and benefits by not coming from a dealer wanting to flog a car or YouTubers who are being given preferential treatment / have ordered one. Bjorn has driven lots of EVs and seems to have no axe to grind. It reinforces my view that MG has created a good value for money SUV electric vehicle at the cheaper / low cost end of the market with the sort of range that you would expect. But it is a first attempt car built to a price by a manufacturer that is still learning / an early adopter. Just like the early Japanese or Korean petrol cars people will buy them because they offer value for money. However, it will come with flaws and there are better EVs but you will not get them for the same price. In normal circumstances you could chose to between a better second hand EV or the MG EV for the same price. However, for the next couple of years the choice is limited.
I will wait to drive one and will make my mind up then but if I do decide it will be on a pcp because in three/ four years there will be better cars and more second hand supply of better cars. MG will probably have better EVs by then.
I agree with your comments, the ZS EV is a “Budget” SUV and therefore there has to be some compromises.
I guess it may depend on what you are comparing it too !.
If you present car is getting a bit long in the tooth and it’s an oil burner, then the ZS EV will feel like really silent good drive.
If on the other hand you are already coming from a plug in hybrid or full electric, you may find the motor on the ZS EV a little too noisy.
Bjorn picked this up on his short test drive, not what you want or expect from an EV.
Mind you, we have to consider he has only just tested the new Merc EQC which he said was both fantastic and had a really silent drive train.
Hard not to compare them when you are doing an almost back to back test.
If the Merc was as good and as cheap as the MG, we would all have one !!!!.
You get what you pay for I guess !.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree with your comments, the ZS EV is a “Budget” SUV and therefore there has to be some compromises.
I guess it may depend on what you are comparing it too !.
If you present car is getting a bit long in the tooth and it’s an oil burner, then the ZS EV will feel like really silent good drive.
If on the other hand you are already coming from a plug in hybrid or full electric, you may find the motor on the ZS EV a little too noisy.
Bjorn picked this up on his short test drive, not what you want or expect from an EV.
Mind you, we have to consider he has only just tested the new Merc EQC which he said was both fantastic and had a really silent drive train.
Hard not to compare them when you are doing an almost back to back test.
If the Merc was as good and as cheap as the MG, we would all have one !!!!.
You get what you pay for I guess !.
I have a first edition Kia e-Niro that arrived a couple of weeks ago and so far am very impressed. I had put down a deposit on the MG and not removed it yet until I have chance of a test drive. At £9k cheaper than the Kia I thought a few compromises might tip me to sell the Kia (not profit but hopefully what I paid). However, having travelled about 1,000 miles so far, I think the range is not going to be good enough for the journeys I do. But I will reserve final judgement for when I drive the car.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Went for a test drive today. Broadly agree with what Bjorn said.

The drivetrain is good. Smooth, decent power, and the regen integrates well with the acclerator and brake. Same it doesn't have one pedal mode but the regen works down to about 3 MPH and is strong enough on level 3 to avoid using the brake most of the time. Didn't find the motor noise annoying.

The ride is nice too, comfortable and handles British rural roads and motorways fine. The driving position is good although the wheel only goes up and down (like a Leaf!). The cabin isn't as open as an old Leaf but it's a pleasant enough place. Good materials and finish, doesn't feel cheap. It's reasonably quiet too, on a par with an e-Niro maybe, certainly at least as good as the Kona.

You can turn off the pedestrian warning in the menus, but I forgot to see if it comes back on when you turn the car off. If it does then it's well buried, not a single button like other cars.

The autopilot is a bit of a faff to get working and the display for it isn't that good. Once it's going it works well enough on A roads and motorway. It makes plenty of noise when it disengages too.

The real let-down is the software. You can tell it's a converted ICE and there is a big lack of EV specific stuff. You can't even see a battery percentage anywhere, just the little bars and estimated range. The IC display is small and if you have autopilot on it has to be dedicated to that. There is a digital speedo but again it's either that or autopilot, or that or trip data etc.

The head unit is a bit crap too. Seems 10 years out of date almost. It's got iGo for nav I think, looks like iGo. It's okay, it does the job but it's not well integrated. As Bjorn's video showed it's a separate app, you have to load it and come out of it to do other stuff. It's not the best screen although it does at least support Android Auto and the Apple one.

When the Leaf came out you really felt that Nissan had put a lot of thought in to what the needs of an EV driver are. Okay the battery was half the size of this one so it mattered a lot more, but I think I'd still really miss those things.

Apparently MG have added another 1000 discounts to be had so no mad rush to order one, but if I get anything it will probably be a used Leaf rather than one of these. It's a decent enough car, especially for the money, but it does feel like a converted ICE.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Went for a test drive today. Broadly agree with what Bjorn said.

The drivetrain is good. Smooth, decent power, and the regen integrates well with the acclerator and brake. Same it doesn't have one pedal mode but the regen works down to about 3 MPH and is strong enough on level 3 to avoid using the brake most of the time. Didn't find the motor noise annoying.

The ride is nice too, comfortable and handles British rural roads and motorways fine. The driving position is good although the wheel only goes up and down (like a Leaf!). The cabin isn't as open as an old Leaf but it's a pleasant enough place. Good materials and finish, doesn't feel cheap. It's reasonably quiet too, on a par with an e-Niro maybe, certainly at least as good as the Kona.

You can turn off the pedestrian warning in the menus, but I forgot to see if it comes back on when you turn the car off. If it does then it's well buried, not a single button like other cars.

The autopilot is a bit of a faff to get working and the display for it isn't that good. Once it's going it works well enough on A roads and motorway. It makes plenty of noise when it disengages too.

The real let-down is the software. You can tell it's a converted ICE and there is a big lack of EV specific stuff. You can't even see a battery percentage anywhere, just the little bars and estimated range. The IC display is small and if you have autopilot on it has to be dedicated to that. There is a digital speedo but again it's either that or autopilot, or that or trip data etc.

The head unit is a bit crap too. Seems 10 years out of date almost. It's got iGo for nav I think, looks like iGo. It's okay, it does the job but it's not well integrated. As Bjorn's video showed it's a separate app, you have to load it and come out of it to do other stuff. It's not the best screen although it does at least support Android Auto and the Apple one.

When the Leaf came out you really felt that Nissan had put a lot of thought in to what the needs of an EV driver are. Okay the battery was half the size of this one so it mattered a lot more, but I think I'd still really miss those things.

Apparently MG have added another 1000 discounts to be had so no mad rush to order one, but if I get anything it will probably be a used Leaf rather than one of these. It's a decent enough car, especially for the money, but it does feel like a converted ICE.
Thanks for a great review @Rei
I like the idea that you can switch off the "space ship" noise when travelling slow speeds.
It will be a real pain if it defaults back to "activated" when you restart the car again !.
What power mode did you carry out your test drive with ( Eco / Norm / Sport )
The noise from the electric motor is my REAL main point of concern here.
Can you please expand your views / findings on this subject please @Rei
When was the noise more evident, normal pulling away, hard acceleration, cruising etc.
Bjorn's said that when travelling at slow speeds and lift of the "go" pedal, you could clearly hear a whining noise from the electric motor.
He kind of suggested that the heavy re-gen setting of 3 could be linked with the noise being produced from the motor ?.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I tried at three modes, settled on normal. Tried regen at 3 and a while at 2 on the motorway but 3 seemed best.

The motor was a bit louder than the original Leaf I suppose, it wasn't terrible. I didn't find it annoying.

Maybe the one Bjorn had was duff. Definitely try it yourself.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I tried at three modes, settled on normal. Tried regen at 3 and a while at 2 on the motorway but 3 seemed best.

The motor was a bit louder than the original Leaf I suppose, it wasn't terrible. I didn't find it annoying.

Will do, thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Probably on such a rough tarmac like here in the UK, it will not be too noticeable.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,627 Posts
As Bjorn's video showed it's a separate app, you have to load it and come out of it to do other stuff

I think this was commented on the FB group. Apparently you press the physical button below the satnav to go back to the main menu without having to quit igo routing. Personally I'll use AA if Google can finally allow custom POIs

·
Registered
829 Posts
I think this was commented on the FB group. Apparently you press the physical button below the satnav to go back to the main menu without having to quit igo routing. Personally I'll use AA if Google can finally allow custom POIs
You definitely have to load it the first time, and it takes about 20 seconds to start. Not like most cars where it's just the default home screen.

I had a bit of a look at it, not too long, and it doesn't seem to have any EV specific stuff about from a POI database of chargers. Nothing about estimating range based on road speed or accounting for elevation changes etc.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,627 Posts
it doesn't seem to have any EV specific stuff about from a POI database of chargers.
To be fair Renault barely managed to implement this (better to hack rlink) and Nissan didn't do much either.

I'd rather create my own Custom POI file and inject into google maps (I keep asking them to make this available in AA).

Does it take 20seconds per car start? Or does it remain persistent once loaded? If your not pressing the "home" button to return to home and exiting the app manually then I'd expect it to have to reload. Be handy if someone can test this. Start car / load igo / press home button. Stop car / lock / unlock / start car / check if igo is still working (or has to reload).

·
Registered
829 Posts
Does it take 20seconds per car start? Or does it remain persistent once loaded? If your not pressing the "home" button to return to home and exiting the app manually then I'd expect it to have to reload. Be handy if someone can test this. Start car / load igo / press home button. Stop car / lock / unlock / start car / check if igo is still working (or has to reload).
When I tried it you have to load it up again every time you turn the car off and back on again.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,627 Posts
When I tried it you have to load it up again every time you turn the car off and back on again.
That's a bit pants then. Definitely be using AA if I can.

321 - 340 of 383 Posts