Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

341 - 360 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Having the faff of connecting the phone to the car to use AA surely has to be worse than just waiting a few second? Unless you do that anyway of course.
Does the car can stream music via bluetooth? That is another point to check when I eventually get a test drive.

I think you can program the * button on the steering wheel to go to the satnav so it could just be a button to press after you start the car up.
Although I don't want to have to deal with any silly little work around for what should be a given on a brand new car, I don't think it is a deal breaker as this could be fixed later in software even though it probably won't.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wish I had tried AA out but didn't have time. My guess is that it would take a while to load too.
Tried it on my test drive once you go through the first time setup (MG being a new device to my phones AA) didn't notice any bothersome delays but then again I should have unplugged phone and tried again as a test, hopefully someone else will give it a go - its a bonus with new AA interface being able to easily stream own music.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From all the comments and reviews I understand the European version does not have a % charge remaining indicator - however, the ZS sold in Thailand does have it. I would be very surprised if a future software update does not add that to European models.

I have read somewhere that SAIC has sold the ZS EV for already over one year in China, one sales figure mentioned was 100,000 sold. If that is true, not putting that out it's clearly a missed marketing opportunity on MG's side.

I test drove the ZS in Thailand, and I find the motor noise concerns raised in many discussions overblown - I never felt it to be intrusive or annoying.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I think the latest review is quite good by Bjorn and benefits by not coming from a dealer wanting to flog a car or YouTubers who are being given preferential treatment / have ordered one. Bjorn has driven lots of EVs and seems to have no axe to grind. It reinforces my view that MG has created a good value for money SUV electric vehicle at the cheaper / low cost end of the market with the sort of range that you would expect. But it is a first attempt car built to a price by a manufacturer that is still learning / an early adopter. Just like the early Japanese or Korean petrol cars people will buy them because they offer value for money. However, it will come with flaws and there are better EVs but you will not get them for the same price. In normal circumstances you could chose to between a better second hand EV or the MG EV for the same price. However, for the next couple of years the choice is limited.
I will wait to drive one and will make my mind up then but if I do decide it will be on a pcp because in three/ four years there will be better cars and more second hand supply of better cars. MG will probably have better EVs by then.
SAIC is one of the largest EV manufacturers in the world. I don’t agree that they are still learning how to make EV’s :D

however, it is their first foray out of China which is a completely different thing. Learning what the rest of the world expect from an EV...

But in reality this is an EV for people coming from an ICE and so everything about it is geared to an ICE user, something that they would be familiar with, whereas many of us have come from an EV and we ‘expect’ this cheap car to have exactly what we are used to. It hasn’t.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have read somewhere that SAIC has sold the ZS EV for already over one year in China, one sales figure mentioned was 100,000 sold. If that is true, not putting that out it's clearly a missed marketing opportunity on MG's side.
I think they are a little bit embarassed about being Chinese and want to keep it quiet. That's why they bought the MG name instead of just using their own badge. Lots of anti-Chinese sentiment in the West and an undeserved reputation for poor quality.

The Japanese did the same thing early on. Nissan created Datsun for export models, NEC had Apricot computers I think. It's a shame that people are like that.

·
Journeyman Human
393 Posts
Lots of anti-Chinese sentiment in the West and an undeserved reputation for poor quality.
That's not exactly true, it is partly deserved, or at least has been until recently. I've been buying electronic parts from China over the last 12 years for various projects and it's a mixed bag. The Chinese sometimes lie and cheat to get a sale. I've had them swap out components to save a dollar whilst compromising on quality. I always have to inspect and sometimes rectify equipment before use as QC is a mixed bag. Getting warranties honoured can also be very hit and miss. On the other hand, they can often be excellent and the cost is usually a fraction of the cost of equivalent UK or European equipment.

On the other hand, my experience is with industrial parts. Products built for big retail brands with western QC oversight are usually superb quality. The point is though, the reputation of possibly a little "cheap" or sub standard isn't for nothing, at least until recently.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
That's not exactly true, it is partly deserved, or at least has been until recently. I've been buying electronic parts from China over the last 12 years for various projects and it's a mixed bag. The Chinese sometimes lie and cheat to get a sale. I've had them swap out components to save a dollar whilst compromising on quality. I always have to inspect and sometimes rectify equipment before use as QC is a mixed bag. Getting warranties honoured can also be very hit and miss. On the other hand, they can often be excellent and the cost is usually a fraction of the cost of equivalent UK or European equipment.

On the other hand, my experience is with industrial parts. Products built for big retail brands with western QC oversight are usually superb quality. The point is though, the reputation of possibly a little "cheap" or sub standard isn't for nothing, at least until recently.
I've been buying for construction, some of it electronics. The British companies will rip you off just as much if they can. We had over 10,000 smoke/fire damper controllers fail because they substituted cheaper capacitors without telling us. Most were already installed and some couldn't accessed, like hospital operating theatres where you can just cut into the wall and create loads of dust and contamination just to replace them.

The Chinese are the same. If you specify and pay for something specific they will give it to you. You build up trust and good relations over the years, figure out who are the reliable ones. You can be sure they wouldn't try to cheat Apple, right? We we aren't Apple but we do get one out of every 1000 boards forensically tested now (especially the British ones!) and so far the Chinese boards have all been great.

It's the same everywhere, look at how VW cheated on emissions. The mistake people make is thinking that the Chinese can magically make everything cheaper. Labour is cheaper but if you need a specific Panasonic capacitor you have to pay what it costs.

·
Registered
565 Posts
SAIC is one of the largest EV manufacturers in the world. I don’t agree that they are still learning how to make EV’s :D

however, it is their first foray out of China which is a completely different thing. Learning what the rest of the world expect from an EV...

But in reality this is an EV for people coming from an ICE and so everything about it is geared to an ICE user, something that they would be familiar with, whereas many of us have come from an EV and we ‘expect’ this cheap car to have exactly what we are used to. It hasn’t.
Yes but lots of quality issues being reported in China. Also one of the reasons China wanted Tesla to build over there was to try and raise the game.
Having just seen the latest road trip video has convinced me that the range of the MG is not good enough for me and I will stick with my Kia.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Yes but lots of quality issues being reported in China. Also one of the reasons China wanted Tesla to build over there was to try and raise the game.
Having just seen the latest road trip video has convinced me that the range of the MG is not good enough for me and I will stick with my Kia.
It has a similar range to my Leaf 40 at those speeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am curious about the quality issues reported in China - do you have a link?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I am curious about the quality issues reported in China - do you have a link?
It was something I read last week but can’t now recall which news report. It related to the decline of sales of EVs in China saying that this was partly due to the reduction of incentives but also due to quality problems. It said that one manufacturer was in financial trouble (not SAIC).

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
It was something I read last week but can’t now recall which news report. It related to the decline of sales of EVs in China saying that this was partly due to the reduction of incentives but also due to quality problems. It said that one manufacturer was in financial trouble (not SAIC).
You could say the same about our EVs. Tesla's quality problems are legendary. Early Leafs had duff batteries, and later ones had problems with tyre wear because of the rear axle or something.

Sounds like innuendo to me.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You could say the same about our EVs. Tesla's quality problems are legendary. Early Leafs had duff batteries, and later ones had problems with tyre wear because of the rear axle or something.

Sounds like innuendo to me.
Who knows if it is innuendo anymore than most things written on this site. I guess people read and make their own mind up. I personally like what I have seen of the MG but don’t like their inability to answer straightforward questions about body work protection. The recent reviews and my experience of driving an EV has also convinced me that the range is not good enough for my needs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here's an article about the 'Global drop' in EV sales, and in particular the Chinese market. The sales of Full Electric vehicles managed to grow! The the plugin vehicles dropped by 7%, plug in hybrids sank by 22% . It also mention even with this drop the target of 8% growth is still achievable. It has some good info for those who are interested.

Chinese EV Sales In July: After The Subsidy Storm https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/18/chinese-ev-sales-in-july-after-the-subsidy-storm/

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Interesting on the comment about no regen from braking, when I drove the pre-production car it did feel like it started using the friction brakes as soon as I touched the brake peddle, didn't notice the regen as my brain hadn't adjusted to analogue dials.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Level 3 regen is reasonably strong and seems to work down to about 3 MPH (5 KPH I guess) so if you anticipate reasonably well you don't really need friction brakes except for stopping (which is needed in every EV).

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Just seems odd if it's the case, both my previous EVs would just use a mix of regen and friction brakes, even PHEVs have regen braking.

341 - 360 of 392 Posts