Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

381 - 383 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
How do you think the Ohme cable will stand up to continuous exposure to the elements and UV if wall mounted, it doesn't strike me that it was originally designed for that?

It looks a lot like it's made by the same company that makes the ZENCAR EVSEs you can buy from China and although they have a rubber gasket I'd not trust one outside long term.
Their wall box version as the same cable. I’m sure it won’t be a problem.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Their wall box version as the same cable. I’m sure it won’t be a problem.
I read on the Facebook page that there has been a recall of the cable on the ground that it was not as waterproof as it should be.

OHME Smart Charger Lead urgent safety info from OHME issued today 01/10/2019
Dear all, please be aware of the following information I received from OHME today and take extra care as they suggest until they communicate a solution:
"We have recently been made aware of a design change from our supplier that means the Ohme cable that was supplied to you may not be fully water resistant. During heavy rain there is a potential that water may get into the enclosure and cause the unit to malfunction.
As this is a safety risk we have taken the decision to recall the product.
We ask at this stage that you either protect the top of the unit from rain to prevent any ingress or discontinue using it."

Hopefully that will be sorted before we need one.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'd be very suprised if it was ever really fully rated for prolonged outside use in all weathers, whatever their supplier claimed, top exiting cable would be a nightmare for water pooling around any seal.

381 - 383 of 383 Posts