Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

381 - 392 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
How do you think the Ohme cable will stand up to continuous exposure to the elements and UV if wall mounted, it doesn't strike me that it was originally designed for that?

It looks a lot like it's made by the same company that makes the ZENCAR EVSEs you can buy from China and although they have a rubber gasket I'd not trust one outside long term.
Their wall box version as the same cable. I’m sure it won’t be a problem.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Their wall box version as the same cable. I’m sure it won’t be a problem.
I read on the Facebook page that there has been a recall of the cable on the ground that it was not as waterproof as it should be.

OHME Smart Charger Lead urgent safety info from OHME issued today 01/10/2019
Dear all, please be aware of the following information I received from OHME today and take extra care as they suggest until they communicate a solution:
"We have recently been made aware of a design change from our supplier that means the Ohme cable that was supplied to you may not be fully water resistant. During heavy rain there is a potential that water may get into the enclosure and cause the unit to malfunction.
As this is a safety risk we have taken the decision to recall the product.
We ask at this stage that you either protect the top of the unit from rain to prevent any ingress or discontinue using it."

Hopefully that will be sorted before we need one.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'd be very suprised if it was ever really fully rated for prolonged outside use in all weathers, whatever their supplier claimed, top exiting cable would be a nightmare for water pooling around any seal.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not just trying to start a thread with an unintelligible mix of letters for title. This looks like a good deal for someone with my drive profile and I've put a deposit down. Haven't seen the car in the flesh but have watched a few reviews and read what I could find and do still have a few questions. Would be good to have a place to share info on the car though. Can I start?
  • Heated front seats in Exclusive but not Excite model? No heated steering wheel in either?
  • We think HVAC rather than resistive heater?
  • Air conditioning rather than climate control in both?
  • No way to set charging, heating or air con through timers?
  • Any vents directed to rear seat passengers?
  • Any 'driver only mode'?
  • Can we set charging to set max val e.g. 80% or just to 100%?
  • No app for UK market at launch? Will car come with hardware \ SIM etc. to enable this in the future?
  • Does charge port look sufficiently robust or likely to break? How good is it likely to be at keeping out elements?
  • Assume cable is locked in place when car is locked?
  • I understand MG badge glows when charging? Any way of estimating charge level from outside the car e.g. 3 indicator lights like in Leaf and Soul?
  • No arm rest or cup holders for rear passengers?
  • Car more than 1 phone be paired with the car?
  • Since it has Apple Carplay and Android Auto I can use Waze and Spotify from my phone right?
  • Can we play music from memory stick and if so what formats are accommodated?
  • Do USB ports charge phone?
  • What brand tyres are fitted as standard?
  • Guess it comes with a tube of gunge and an inflation kit and no option for spare wheel?
  • Any 'curry hooks' in passenger compartment or boot?
  • Why is speedo marked to 140mph when car is limited to 89mph?
  • Does navigation include poi such as charge points and can these me updated?
  • Any info on charging speed profile (at what point does charging slow significantly on rapid chargers)?
  • What info is displayed in car about charge rates, time to complete charge etc.?
  • What warnings are given for low charge?
  • Anywhere to store RFID cards, change for parking, sunglasses etc.?
  • Auto wipers \ auto lights?
  • Does car 'remember' settings (power mode, regen, pilot etc.) or does everything need to be reset each time?
  • Any idea on service intervals and cost?
  • Assume comes with one year breakdown cover?
Don't think any of these are show stoppers but would be good to know.
It sounds to me like you are comparing this mg to a top of the range Mercedes.What do you want for such a good value for money car.Ive bought the exclusive model and I'm quite satisfied with it.Its not perfect but is any car,you could find things to pick at with a Rolls Royce or a Bentley.just lighten up

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'd like to see proper neutral-light photos of the paint options so i can see what the pimlico blue looks like, along with he pearlescent white and the triple-coat red.
I've looked a various images of the blue and red but it's not easy to tell from them what the actual colours will look like.
MG doesn't do pearlescent white on the EV.If you want to look at the colours just get the Brochure.I. Have the exclusive in pimlico blue and it looks really nice.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
It sounds to me like you are comparing this mg to a top of the range Mercedes.What do you want for such a good value for money car.Ive bought the exclusive model and I'm quite satisfied with it.Its not perfect but is any car,you could find things to pick at with a Rolls Royce or a Bentley.just lighten up
Eh? You are reopening a dormant thread to comment on some questions I raised 8 months ago before the car was available to test and you are asking me to lighten up?!?!?

I made no comparisons with luxury cars but did ask about features commonly found in earlier EVs such as Leaf, Soul and Zoe. It would have been reasonable to expect to find these in a later generation car such as the ZS. Have you owned or lived with any other EV? If you had you too would surely have noticed the omissions and curious design decisions in the ZS. Not saying it is a bad car, in fact I bought one too, but it could have been a much better car through better design without costing a significant mount more.

I can see you are new here so can I respectfully suggest you moderate your tone if you want to avoid getting blocked by other contributors.

·
Journeyman Human
393 Posts
Land Rover want £900+ for a 2 year plan ! MG seems ridiculously cheap.
It might to those acclimatized to paying this sort of amount, but it's £90 literally for nothing more than staring at the car for 10 to 15 minutes, and without it the car loses it's warranty cover, seems more like extortion to me. I view it as the downside to a long warranty.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
It might to those acclimatized to paying this sort of amount, but it's £90 literally for nothing more than staring at the car for 10 to 15 minutes, and without it the car loses it's warranty cover, seems more like extortion to me. I view it as the downside to a long warranty.
I totally agree with sentiments !.
Giving you a 7 year extended warranty CAN be a good thing, if it’s any good that is.
Plus, it does get you over the door of the workshop, then directed towards the payment machine every twelve months.
After saying that, my brother had a REALLY low mileage three year old Merc SUV.
It has just had a basic service and MOT at the main dealer, to comply with the warranty.
His service plan is just about to expire, the cost of the service ( pay on the day price ) was over £500 !.
A lot of money for a oil & filter change in my opinion !.
I guess they figure if you can afford a Merc, you will not be crying when you get the bill for a basic service.
I have difficulty understand how they justify what they charge to be honest guys.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Here are the terms of the MG warranty:

"Whilst the warranty will not be invalidated if a non-authorised repairer carries out this work, Warranty faults resulting from work carried out by a non-authorised repairer may not be covered under the MG Warranty. "

but

"The body panels are inspected annually throughout the warranty period by an authorised MG Repairer (relevant paperwork completed and endorsed), and any rectification work found necessary is carried out in accordance with MG’s recommendations. "

"To qualify for the MG ZS 4th,5th,6th & 7thyear warranty, the vehicle must have a full and accurate service history, in line with MG Motor UK’s recommended servicing plan, using genuine parts and fluids to the correct specifications. "

So it's okay to use a different (cheaper) garage for servicing but you need to get the bodywork inspected by MG every year and make sure any parts replaced are genuine. I wonder what the dealer would say if you called them up and asked for a paintwork inspection.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We probbaly find out that the service is free but the paint inspection is £150 lol but we got a special offer of a free teddy

·
Registered
285 Posts
We probbaly find out that the service is free but the paint inspection is £150 lol but we got a special offer of a free teddy
Plus AA renewal for another year.

381 - 392 of 392 Posts